Titans are switching their field from grass to turf

Just Jack

The Bills have stated they’re going to install natural grass in their new stadium.  Just asking here…. If the field is heated, is growing and maintaining a quality field throughout the season a realistic expectation?  And if that can be done, why wouldn’t the Titans just heat their place?

2 minutes ago, f0neguy said:

The Bills have stated they’re going to install natural grass in their new stadium.  Just asking here…. If the field is heated, is growing and maintaining a quality field throughout the season a realistic expectation?  And if that can be done, why wouldn’t the Titans just heat their place?

Yeah, I think the Bills stadium plans are a boondoggle in several regards.  One of them is installing natural grass.  They really need to talk to the folks in Tennessee.

The big one of course, IMO, is not having a dome.  Yeah, yeah, expense blah blah but at present, our team simply isn't built to play in snow and wind.  We have finesse players who depend upon agility and speed, not big hawg mollies who bowl you over.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 3
  • Thank you (+1) 2

7 hours ago, Captain_Quint said:

57283421.jpg

He's just mad because he used to make $8 an hour to cut it. 🙁

8 hours ago, Just Jack said:

"This is the game of football...injuries are part of it. It's a violent game that I personally don't think humans are supposed to play, except in a ball pit like they have at McDonalds."  D. Whaley, circa 2023.

• Eyeroll 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

If they can’t keep nice grass in Tennessee into Nov.-Dec., I just question the logic / intelligence of this Bills stadium planning.

Nice concept to play on grass. But the reality will kick us in the face in the first season of it. It’s not enough to keep a field warm to get grass to grow and be a stable playing surface. In the north, grass stops taking in nutrients in mid-October and starts to go into a dormant state. If you’re going to try to fool Mother Nature, it needs a lot of light, the right amount of water & nutrients, and sometimes it’s more art than science… and sometimes despite everything you do, it goes breasts-up and you’ll have to cart in replacement sod for one or two games (that in one year just for it, will cost 1/4 of what a monofilament turf would) like they do in GB and Pitt many times, and then it’s still unstable footing, sod coming up in clumps, and guys getting knees and ankles trashed.

Prediction: we invest in all of the costs for grass, try it for two years and then have to switch to artificial turf due to feasibility & cost issues as well as pressure from the league & NFLPA.

Again… if they can’t grow decent enough grass in Tennessee below the Mason-Dixon, what freaking hope is there in Buffalo?

• Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 3

1 hour ago, UConn James said:

If they can’t keep nice grass in Tennessee into Nov.-Dec., I just question the logic / intelligence of this Bills stadium planning.

Nice concept to play on grass. But the reality will kick us in the face in the first season of it. It’s not enough to keep a field warm to get grass to grow and be a stable playing surface. In the north, grass stops taking in nutrients in mid-October and starts to go into a dormant state. If you’re going to try to fool Mother Nature, it needs a lot of light, the right amount of water & nutrients, and sometimes it’s more art than science… and sometimes despite everything you do, it goes breasts-up and you’ll have to cart in replacement sod for one or two games (that in one year just for it, will cost 1/4 of what a monofilament turf would) like they do in GB and Pitt many times, and then it’s still unstable footing, sod coming up in clumps, and guys getting knees and ankles trashed.

Prediction: we invest in all of the costs for grass, try it for two years and then have to switch to artificial turf due to feasibility & cost issues as well as pressure from the league & NFLPA.

Again… if they can’t grow decent enough grass in Tennessee below the Mason-Dixon, what freaking hope is there in Buffalo?

That’s good knowledge…Carl Spackler?

• Haha (+1) 3

1 hour ago, UConn James said:

Most of you see this as a subterfuge 'Build A Dome Here!' post.  The wise board members will recognize it as a 'Dump Edmunds!' post. 😁

Edited by Ridgewaycynic2013
  • Haha (+1) 4
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

10 hours ago, Beck Water said:

The big one of course, IMO, is not having a dome.  Yeah, yeah, expense blah blah but at present, our team simply isn't built to play in snow and wind.  We have finesse players who depend upon agility and speed, not big hawg mollies who bowl you over.

I disagree... we have an OC who doesn't game plan well for conditions against great teams. 

10 hours ago, Beck Water said:

Yeah, I think the Bills stadium plans are a boondoggle in several regards.  One of them is installing natural grass.  They really need to talk to the folks in Tennessee.

My feelings exactly. The Bills were actually at a disadvantage in the snow vs. the Bengals. Home field advantage was turned into a disadvantage. I said at the beginning of the game to my company that the snow would hurt the Bills and it did.

• Agree 5

10 minutes ago, Spiderweb said:

My feelings exactly. The Bills were actually at a disadvantage in the snow vs. the Bengals. Home field advantage was turned into a disadvantage. I said at the beginning of the game to my company that the snow would hurt the Bills and it did.

agreed.  Bills are a lightweight, speed and quicks team up and down the lineup, which works for me, but doesn't really work to their advantage in WNY past Thanksgiving.   Just doesn't.  

2 hours ago, UConn James said:

The Bills can just install about 100,000 of these. https://www.amazon.com/Portable-Adjustable-Color&Stepless-Brightness-Timer&Memory/dp/B07XXNGC19/ref=sr_1_2_sspa?crid=R6BLUXY8QC15&keywords=therapy+lights+for+seasonal+affective+disorder&qid=1675260840&sprefix=therapy+light%2Caps%2C778&sr=8-2-spons&psc=1&smid=A30JEXJ8AO7SYB&spLa=ZW5jcnlwdGVkUXVhbGlmaWVyPUFZRjIzUUVRM0w4UUYmZW5jcnlwdGVkSWQ9QTAyMjU4OTkzUlFHMFdBQ1VGNlk3JmVuY3J5cHRlZEFkSWQ9QTEwMzA5NTUxN1lDNTA4U05FVkkxJndpZGdldE5hbWU9c3BfYXRmJmFjdGlvbj1jbGlja1JlZGlyZWN0JmRvTm90TG9nQ2xpY2s9dHJ1ZQ==

Someone get Thurman on the phone

I've heard all the reasons why grass is possible in OP. What I haven't heard is how they will clear feet of snow off an unfrozen grass field without turning it into a tractor pull arena. The reality of OP compared to say Green Bay is that is frequently snows harder than any snow melting system can keep up with.

13 hours ago, Beck Water said:

How many current Bills will still be in Buffalo, or the NFL, by the time this new stadium opens?

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.