Should QB Compensation Be Carved Out of the Salary Cap?

st pete gogolak

Need more details but I don’t get what problem this solves.  Would qb have no cap?  what does a carve out mean?  That basically eliminates the cap which is already able to be manipulated significantly.  

Depending on the details I ca not see the owners interested.  Revenues are split 50/50. What would the new ratio be?

qbs have always had a bigger percentage of the cap.  Has the qb as a percentage of the cap gone up?

The unintended consequence   is the rich owners would have the best qbs.  Guys would force their way out like Watson did in Houston. 

10 hours ago, Ethan in Cleveland said:

I think it is a great idea but I would modify it.  Have a cap that is 52+1. You can designate any player as the +1 that is exempt from the salary cap calculation.  You coudl even put a tax on that +1 if you wanted to and spread that money around the league.  There should not be this degree of a penalty for drafting and developing a franchise QB.  

Why not just eliminate the cap?

Edited by Matt_In_NH

11 hours ago, 4th&long said:

I don’t know about that but the owners better loosen up that cap. I have never tuned into a game, went to the stadium or bought a jersey because of the owner in the box!

Works for who? After waiting 20 years to get this roster built now we get to watch it get broken up because of the salary cap?

Every team has to decide where to spend their resources.  The GM has to decide if giving piles of money to good but not great players is the right thing.  They can decide not to and then have more resources.   Teams with the best qbs have been winning the Super Bowl with the system as is.  Yes you have to make decisions on players like trading tyreek  hill understanding what that really means to your chances of going to the Super Bowl.   

Edited by Matt_In_NH

The best idea is to have the QB salary account for no more than a given percentage of the cap.

I don’t think it can happen though. The NFLPA wouldn’t stand for it, for one thing, and for another, it makes there be little differentiation between franchise QBs.

So Allen, Burrow, Mahomes etc. would all end up on the same money eventually.

While many Owners and Front Offices could be in favour of it, as it would make their lives easier, I don’t believe the NFL as an entity would want it, as the constant speculation regarding QBs and their contracts, is part of the media grist for the mill, that keeps the game in the spotlight all the year round.

13 hours ago, st pete gogolak said:

Full disclosure.  I've been a Bills fan since 1965 so I'm obviously biased about this because if it somehow came to pass it would benefit the Bills enormously.  That said, QB compensation in the NFL and how it distorts the salary cap is, if not unfair, frankly bizarre and unlike any other sport that maintains a salary cap.  That's because QB compensation is so dramatically higher than any other position.  That's not true in basketball or hockey.  Yes, you pay your superstars but McDavid isn't making double or triple every single one of his teammates.  

You're punished for selecting a QB who turns into a franchise QB.  That's if you do it right.  Heaven help you if you pay a QB that lands you in cap purgatory (Prescott, Cousins) or, even worse, one that lands you in cap hell (Wilson).  

A carve out probably lets the Raiders keep Carr.  I don't know what the solution is but you shouldn't have to gut your team because you found your franchise quarterback.  

Your beginning premise is wrong. Saying other leagues don’t have one player eating up their salary cap.  The difference is how they work.. Basketball has the Bird exceptions rule.. which is dumb! baseball just makes you pay a tax but is also a dying sport. The only other league with a true salary cap is Hockey.  The Bruins this year will use the equivalent in salary cap space to keep Pasta as the Bills did to keep Allen. You just have to make it work around your key player in any sport.

This is by far the most ridiculous idea I've ever heard. 

We have a good QB so let's now change the rules in our favor. 

Also you don't need to "gut" your team, you just can't throw $15MM per year at a mediocre tight ends and you probably shouldn't exercise $10MM 5th year options on undersized average DTs.

12 hours ago, 4th&long said:

I don’t know about that but the owners better loosen up that cap. I have never tuned into a game, went to the stadium or bought a jersey because of the owner in the box!

Works for who? After waiting 20 years to get this roster built now we get to watch it get broken up because of the salary cap?

And who is to blame for that? The league? No. The present and past Bills administrations are at fault.

Other teams look OK wrt the cap, especially those that are able to draft better than 12 year old kids with a computer. Yes, the teams that know how to draft are on top, not a team that sends McClappy out there to grab the nearest 1st round cornerback, DT, or LB, even in he has to trade up!

If QBs didn't count against the cap, players like Josh would command 100 million per season. If you owned an NFL Franchise, woold you like to pay 100 million to a QB after he gets injured, which they all do?

The system isn't perfect but it is pretty damn good.

Jmo.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

Personally I don’t understand why 10 million dollars per year is not enough money for anyone. How much damn stuff do you need? And it’s not like they can’t afford good financial advisors. Insisting on being paid 35 million per year instead of 30 or whatever is just greedy. 

• Eyeroll 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

16 hours ago, st pete gogolak said:

Full disclosure.  I've been a Bills fan since 1965 so I'm obviously biased about this because if it somehow came to pass it would benefit the Bills enormously.  That said, QB compensation in the NFL and how it distorts the salary cap is, if not unfair, frankly bizarre and unlike any other sport that maintains a salary cap.  That's because QB compensation is so dramatically higher than any other position.  That's not true in basketball or hockey.  Yes, you pay your superstars but McDavid isn't making double or triple every single one of his teammates.  

You're punished for selecting a QB who turns into a franchise QB.  That's if you do it right.  Heaven help you if you pay a QB that lands you in cap purgatory (Prescott, Cousins) or, even worse, one that lands you in cap hell (Wilson).  

A carve out probably lets the Raiders keep Carr.  I don't know what the solution is but you shouldn't have to gut your team because you found your franchise quarterback.  

FA - IMHO has put the NFL in this place ! Like the rookie cap that they put in place a over 10 years ago after Bradford signed a rookie contract of $76 million i feel would be a good thing for the QB position because as you said it would allow teams to keep more of their core players for a longer period of time .

I didn't like it when FA came about because since then there have been very few teams that could compete like the Bills of the 90's or the Cowboys - Steelers or other teams that had long runs with good players .

If FA wasn't implemented Bruce, Thurman, Andre, & others would have all retired as Bills instead of being let go which totally sucked after watching them give so much to the Bills . But today's NFL is all about the money & i don't see that changing anytime soon ...

It's what helps drive parity and larger contracts every year in Free Agency(since huge QB contracts force you to not be able to keep good players at other positions), so it is exactly the way the NFL and NFLPA want it to work.

Edited by Big Turk

i don't necessarily think QB compensation alone should be carved out of the salary cap, but i've said this for many years that the salary cap should dual tiered.  for example:

2023 salary cap tier 1: $224.8 million

2023 salary cap tier 2: $232.4 million (+$7.6m)

how do i think this should work?  tier 1 functions exactly like it does now.  the tier 2 bonus money can only be allocated to players you drafted.  so, we'd have up to $7.6 million in 2023 to allot toward deals for Edmunds, or to pay part of Josh's contract for 2023, however the Bills would choose to divvy it up.  i'm not sure how the NFL would calculate the tier 2 bonus money, i'm sure they would devise some complicated formula, but either way it would reward good drafting, helping teams keep their own, and could be used for any position.

Edited by essential
  • Like (+1) 1

I love how fans want to spend owners money above and beyond the collectively bargained levels.

The cap is there for a reason.........to keep the league competitive despite HUGE market discrepancies from team to team.........so creating a new variable where one team can spend $50M more at their discretion creates a competitive balance issue.

Small markets like Buffalo, Cinci and KC don't want to end up like they would be(or are) in MLB (where my Yankees can have a winning record for 30 straight seasons:devil:).

The system works great right now.........teams who luck into great QB's should have to pay a price to encourage competitive balance.    And yes, while I give the Bills massive amounts of credit for taking the chance on Allen, they got lucky that he is this good.

• Like (+1) 1

No, the owners should just be smart and not pay these QBs so much that it keeps their teams from being successful. Oh, by the way, parody is highly over rated, 

17 hours ago, Nextmanup said:

the day will come when the QB and a few key players make ALL the money, and everyone else makes league minimum.

Good point. Think about the Bills: our O line play was terrible. Objectively below replacement level as a group, excepting Dawkins. There is a good argument to be made that 4 league minimum salary guys would have performed about as well. And there are teams that will be doing exactly that. It is the moneyball era, NFL version. A few star/highly conpensated players (mostly QB, and then some mix of WR, edge rusher, primo CB) and minimize salary commitments everywhere else. 

4 hours ago, Freak-O said:

Personally I don’t understand why 10 million dollars per year is not enough money for anyone. How much damn stuff do you need? And it’s not like they can’t afford good financial advisors. Insisting on being paid 35 million per year instead of 30 or whatever is just greedy. 

This is America, where being filthy rich and greedy as possible is the American way, “I got mine, so screw you”, it the one percenters mantra, 

The real issue is that QB's take up a disproportionate percentage of a team's cap.  This causes much of a team's roster to be paid significantly less.  I'm surprised that there isn't more friction within the NFLPA about wage disparity.  If there were limits on the cap percentage that could be paid to any position, players throughout the roster would benefit.  In a traditional unionized environment, improved compensation equity is a basic principle.  I don't believe the owners care one way or the other because they have to pay the same amount in salaries regardless of who receives the money.

No, then the richest teams would be the only ones with top QBs, and small-market teams that struggle to meet cap-level payroll already would never have a shot. 

I could see a 'max contract' type of scenario working, though. 

1 hour ago, Florida Bills Fanatic said:

The real issue is that QB's take up a disproportionate percentage of a team's cap.  This causes much of a team's roster to be paid significantly less.  I'm surprised that there isn't more friction within the NFLPA about wage disparity.  If there were limits on the cap percentage that could be paid to any position, players throughout the roster would benefit.  In a traditional unionized environment, improved compensation equity is a basic principle.  I don't believe the owners care one way or the other because they have to pay the same amount in salaries regardless of who receives the money.

Good point about the NFLPA, especially considering this negatively impacts the vast majority of players. They should be doing something to address this.

• Like (+1) 1

19 hours ago, st pete gogolak said:

That would only create a rich get richer scenario because it would allow rich owners to pay out the nose to keep them loaded at the QB position and still have the entire cap to use for the rest of the team.

We don't need to turn the Cowboys into the New York Yankees of the NFL.

The GM has 3 major hurdles to overcome. The highest level of difficulty from top to bottom.

1. After signing your franchise QB you have to draft well and make little to no mistakes.

2. Draft your franchise QB

3. Sign your franchise QB to a deal that is fair and doesn’t handicap the team.

I think The Bean has done 2 and 3 perfectly but is struggling with number 1.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.