Should QB Compensation Be Carved Out of the Salary Cap?

st pete gogolak

6 minutes ago, Ed_Formerly_of_Roch said:

If you take Brady out, the other five won a total of seven SB, not that impressive considering how talented those 5 were.  Mahommes is kind of an outlier in there too as hasn't been around enough to see what happens long term with team.  So do agree with the OP is hard to field and maintain a top team when the QB makes a disproportionate share of total salary cap.

Take him out like have him whacked? I mean, I'm all for it, but it seems a bit extreme.

On the serious side, Brady was not setting the market for QB contracts for a significant portion of that run in NE***.  It's highly likely, IMO, that he had something worked out with Kraft to offset it (which I'm sure was within the letter and the spirit of the rules of player compensation :sick:). It also didn't hurt that his sugar momma make significantly more than he did.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, 4th&long said:

Works for who? After waiting 20 years to get this roster built now we get to watch it get broken up because of the salary cap?

Yes.  Actually this is PROOF it works.  its designed for parity.  Good teams cant keep all their good players - so they walk to the worse teams. 

• Like (+1) 1

I think it is a great idea but I would modify it.  Have a cap that is 52+1. You can designate any player as the +1 that is exempt from the salary cap calculation.  You coudl even put a tax on that +1 if you wanted to and spread that money around the league.  There should not be this degree of a penalty for drafting and developing a franchise QB.  

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, transient said:

Take him out like have him whacked? I mean, I'm all for it, but it seems a bit extreme.

On the serious side, Brady was not setting the market for QB contracts for a significant portion of that run in NE***.  It's highly likely, IMO, that he had something worked out with Kraft to offset it (which I'm sure was within the letter and the spirit of the rules of player compensation :sick:). It also didn't hurt that his sugar momma make significantly more than he did.

Agree he was the outlier in two ways, he worked for peanuts LOL and won many SB's compared to rest.

Wouldn't be surprised to see him play another ten years now that doesn't have allowance money coming from from sugar momma. Or maybe he's started a go fund me page?

Eh, if this came to pass teams without a Franchise QB would be at an even greater disadvantage. 

We all know a Franchise QB greatly increases the chance of victory. If they equaled the teams outside of the QB on top of that, well we could probably pick the conference championship games on week 1.

I wouldn't be a fan.

Edited by Southern_Bills

2 hours ago, st pete gogolak said:

Full disclosure.  I've been a Bills fan since 1965 so I'm obviously biased about this because if it somehow came to pass it would benefit the Bills enormously.  That said, QB compensation in the NFL and how it distorts the salary cap is, if not unfair, frankly bizarre and unlike any other sport that maintains a salary cap.  That's because QB compensation is so dramatically higher than any other position.  That's not true in basketball or hockey.  Yes, you pay your superstars but McDavid isn't making double or triple every single one of his teammates.  

You're punished for selecting a QB who turns into a franchise QB.  That's if you do it right.  Heaven help you if you pay a QB that lands you in cap purgatory (Prescott, Cousins) or, even worse, one that lands you in cap hell (Wilson).  

A carve out probably lets the Raiders keep Carr.  I don't know what the solution is but you shouldn't have to gut your team because you found your franchise quarterback.  

Why would the owners want that?

And why would we? The salary cap levels the playing field. Let the most important player be signed without limit and you'd get the higher income teams outbidding everyone and winning every year.

2 hours ago, Billl said:

You want the wealthiest owners to just buy up the best QBs and then have a full cap to work with?  That’s what would happen.

The second most cap benefit this year would accrue to KC, and if this came to pass, Andy would have $35MM to beef up his defense. No thanks.

So...you're saying make the QUARTERBACK portion of the salary cap "unlimited"?

Why would the owners agree to that?

It defeats the purpose of the salary cap.

But,owners and players could demand a larger slice of the financial pie from the media contracts. 

As for your comparison to other sports;  Lots of players make WAY more than double/triple some of their their teammates;Yankees have Judge, Cole, Rodon, Stanton,Donaldson,et.al earning 25,30,40 million annually with guys at the bottom of the making 2 million. 

Its business: the STARS sell tickets and merchandise and attract advertising revenue.

Edited by Herb Nightly
Punctuation

4 hours ago, st pete gogolak said:

Full disclosure.  I've been a Bills fan since 1965 so I'm obviously biased about this because if it somehow came to pass it would benefit the Bills enormously.  That said, QB compensation in the NFL and how it distorts the salary cap is, if not unfair, frankly bizarre and unlike any other sport that maintains a salary cap.  That's because QB compensation is so dramatically higher than any other position.  That's not true in basketball or hockey.  Yes, you pay your superstars but McDavid isn't making double or triple every single one of his teammates.  

You're punished for selecting a QB who turns into a franchise QB.  That's if you do it right.  Heaven help you if you pay a QB that lands you in cap purgatory (Prescott, Cousins) or, even worse, one that lands you in cap hell (Wilson).  

A carve out probably lets the Raiders keep Carr.  I don't know what the solution is but you shouldn't have to gut your team because you found your franchise quarterback.  

I do think there should be a cap on how much a player makes based on position. They are talking about Burrow getting $50 million a year which is beyond insane for any one player. WRs are starting to work their way to $30 million a year. It's getting out of hand. Teams are gonna cap strapping their teams with 2 or 3 players. That shouldn't happen

• Dislike 1

What about keeping the current system, but adding a rule that the top cap hit can only be 10x (or 20x or whatever the right number is)  the median cap hit?  Or just adding a hard limit that a single player may only account for 20% of the cap before hitting penalties.  

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, Ethan in Cleveland said:

I think it is a great idea but I would modify it.  Have a cap that is 52+1. You can designate any player as the +1 that is exempt from the salary cap calculation.  You coudl even put a tax on that +1 if you wanted to and spread that money around the league.  There should not be this degree of a penalty for drafting and developing a franchise QB.  

It’s been flirted with before, but if there was going to be a time for the QB to start to become less important it is likely right around the corner. 

We’ve seen Kyle Shanahan get huge production out of the likes of 3 different third stringers. McVay has gotten SB production out of Goff and Stafford, plus Baker off the streets. Then McDaniels with Tua. It’s not a coincidence they’re from the same coaching tree. But there is a serious trend. 

• Like (+1) 1

48 minutes ago, Rew said:

What about keeping the current system, but adding a rule that the top cap hit can only be 10x (or 20x or whatever the right number is)  the median cap hit?  Or just adding a hard limit that a single player may only account for 20% of the cap before hitting penalties.  

The problem with that is if the salary cap goes down (unlikely I know) the QB gets paid less. 

I'd be more in favor of shortening the contract of draft picks to three years regardless of round.  I'd also get rid of the 5th year (in my scenario 4th year) option.  Make the teams use a franchise tag on the QB if they want to keep them past those three years.  It shortens the "rookie window period" when you hit on an elite QB.

6 hours ago, transient said:

Funny that model did not work for Russel Wilson either because he and Seahawks were not willing to do it or other circumstances (He started a rookie,  he and franchise were not punished for cheating, he started every game, he is a slash QB not a game manager, etc).

Well, wouldn’t that be nice for us?

But you will never see that happen to pay a franchise QB create parity between the bad teams, and the good teams

Bad teams are loaded with salary cap. Space are always load mediocre but payout, huge money to veterans free agents.

Good teams are usually tight against the cap have their QB in place and draft well

And yes, this means that Brandon bean does draft well not every pic is a superstar, but they end up having to wait their turn because there’s an established vet in front of them on the roster

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.