Roster Construction

BBills_88

I keep hearing we needed to build this team to beat the Chiefs & Bengals. 

I hope the Front office take a look at the AFC east and build our team to consistently compete with our own division, because what I saw this season from our division rivals.  They have arrived, the JETS and MIA were a competent QB away from dethroning us as the AFC east champs. 

The Front Office can no longer be cocky with the draft picks, drafting for depth as they stated in the past.  We need more NFL ready players.  Mc Dermott needs to rethink his philosophy on playing rookies. ELAM, BENFORD, SHAKIR, COOK should've played more.

We need to hit on our picks. 

Regarding FA, I wouldn't mind the 1 or 2 FA signings, but we need to continually build through the draft. 

GO BILLS!!!!

• Like (+1) 2

Well, let's do it then:

QB Allen

QB Barkley (?)

RB Cook

RB Hines

RB X

RB X

FB Gilliam

TE Knox

TE Morris

TE X

WR Diggs

WR Davis

WR McKenzie

WR Shakir

WR X

WR X

OT Dawkins

OT Brown

OT Doyle

IOL Bates

C Morse

OL X

OL X

OL X

OL/DL X

DE Rousseau

DE Epenesa

DE Basham

DE (Miller)

DE X

DT Oliver

DT Jones

DT Settle

DT X

LB Milano

LB Bernard

LB Spector

LB Dodson (RFA)

LB X

LB X

CB White

CB Elam

CB Johnson

CB Neal

CB Benford

CB Jackson (RFA)

CB Lewis (RFA)

S Hyde

S (Hamlin)

S X

S X

S X

K Bass

P X

LS Ferguson

(55)

I keep waiting to hear that Rodgers goes to the Jets, and Lamar Jackson goes to Miami!

Things could get interesting in one off season.

And look at the problems Miami had with Tua's head this year; they accomplished a ton considering the QB time they missed.  Still can't believe they nearly beat us at home with a 3rd string QB.  

I wonder: had they won, would more change occur this offseason?

I’m trading draft picks to try and get Mike Evans once Brady retires and Tampa needs to blow it up.  

The draft picks shouldn’t be too much - he’s 30.  

Big things coming.  No one expected Tyreek Hill to get traded.  

Other teams that may look to shed:

Saints - everyone 

Rams - Kupp

Seahawks - Lockett 

Arizona - everyone 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, Big Blitz said:

I’m trading draft picks to try and get Mike Evans once Brady retires and Tampa needs to blow it up.  

The draft picks shouldn’t be too much - he’s 30.  

Big things coming.  No one expected Tyreek Hill to get traded.  

Other teams that may look to shed:

Saints - everyone 

Rams - Kupp

Seahawks - Lockett 

Arizona - everyone 

I would take Lockett in a heartbeat. Evans is a better version of Davis, which is always welcomed.

25 minutes ago, Southern_Bills said:

I would take Lockett in a heartbeat. Evans is a better version of Davis, which is always welcomed.

Time to get bold on offense. 

Let this sink in…..

We went to the AFCCG in 2020, the 13 seconds derailing another AFCCG, then this year’s exit….

2020:

Diggs

John Brown 

Beasley 

Rookie Gabe

Knox

Motor/Moss

2021:

Diggs

Sanders

Broke Beasley 

Davis - hobbled all year

Knox

Motor/Moss

2022:

Diggs 

Davis

McKenzie

Knox

Motor/Cook

Diggs surrounded by mediocrity.  

It’s criminal watching the talent on offense regress since 2020 - and it absolutely has.  

But Allen is the constant.  It doesn’t matter but he can only take them so far unless he’s out of his mind.  

Allen is the best player in the league.  Fine, Mahomes - Allen.  Who cares?  

GET THIS OFFENSE HIGH QUALITY WEAPONS AND AN OLINE AND WE WIN THE SUPER BOWL.  

Edited by Big Blitz
  • Haha (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, Big Blitz said:

Time to get bold on offense. 

Let this sink in…..

We went to the AFCCG in 2020, the 13 derailing another AFCCG, then this year’s exit….

2020:

Diggs

John Brown 

Beasley 

Rookie Gabe

Knox

Motor/Moss

2021:

Diggs

Sanders

Broke Beasley 

Davis - hobbled all year

Knox

Motor/Moss

2022:

Diggs 

Davis

McKenzie

Knox

Motor/Cook

Diggs surrounded by mediocrity.  

It’s criminal watching the talent on offense regress since 2020 - and it absolutely has.  

But Allen is the constant.  It doesn’t matter but he can only take them so far unless he’s out of his mind.  

Allen is the best player in the league.  Fine, Mahomes - Allen.  Who cares?  

GET THIS OFFENSE HIGH QUALITY WEAPONS AND AN OLINE AND WE WIN THE SUPER BOWL.  

Absolutely agree, only issue is McBeane has painted themselves into a corner with the cap I think.

Needing to upgrade weapons and OL in one off season may be too much to ask in the current financial situation. 

I hope I'm wrong, but if I am bringing a guy like Lockett in will probably be a big part of it. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Disagree 1

1. Acquire a WR2 who doesn't drop every third ball or disappear for weeks at a time. 

2. Upgrade O-line, as many as you can get. Draft five of them if you have to.  Hate to say it but Morse should retire before he does more damage to himself. 

3. Do not overpay Edmunds,  be realistic about his value,  if somebody else wants to overspend,  that's their problem. 

4. Do not spend one more draft pick on the defensive line until WR and O line are addressed.   

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 2
  • Dislike 1

4 hours ago, BBills_88 said:

I hope the Front office take a look at the AFC east and build our team to consistently compete with our own division, because what I saw this season from our division rivals.  They have arrived, the JETS and MIA were a competent QB away from dethroning us as the AFC east champs. 

The Front Office can no longer be cocky with the draft picks, drafting for depth as they stated in the past.  We need more NFL ready players.  Mc Dermott needs to rethink his philosophy on playing rookies. ELAM, BENFORD, SHAKIR, COOK should've played more.

Regarding FA, I wouldn't mind the 1 or 2 FA signings, but we need to continually build through the draft. 

GO BILLS!!!!

You realize the Bills won their division by more games than any other team in the NFL right?

• Like (+1) 1

8 hours ago, BBills_88 said:

GO BILLS!!!!

Being a competent QB away is still a very long ways away

There are not enough of them to go around

• Agree 1

14 hours ago, Big Turk said:

You realize the Bills won their division by more games than any other team in the NFL right?

I believe the OP is suggesting that IF the Jets and Miami had better quarterbacking (jets especially) we may not have won the division and/or have a worse win/lose record.  Add in that it took us 4 hours to finally put away Miami in the playoffs against a 3rd string QB in what should have been a "rest our starters in the 4th qtr" game.

12 minutes ago, GolfandBills said:

Yeah it’s pretty sad looking back on some of those.  The one that really hurts is Oliver.  The other DTs drafted after him in the first round are all better players.  

Oliver was a beast in college.  But it is very difficult to play DT at his size in the NFL and be overly effective.  (other than Aaron Donald and John Randle, I can't think of many guys his size)  He doesn't suck but is not a consistently dominant presence on the field like we were hoping he would be.  I think he has hit his ceiling.  And its a solid but not great player.  Is he really much better then a guy like Justin Zimmer?  I don't think so.  He certainly is not close to the level of Kyle Williams in his prime.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

19 hours ago, BBills_88 said:

GO BILLS!!!!

The Bills were built for the passing game.  On D, our biggest contracts are for a pass rusher and a pass defender.  On O, our biggest contracts are for a passer and a pass catcher.  

The problem is, Miller notwithstanding, Beane has been focused on the skill positions and has not succeeded in the trenches.  All our offensive linemen are rated in the bottom half of the league.  Our defensive linemen, without Miller in the lineup to draw attention and elevate their game, are meh.  

I don't view the front office is cocky.  I just think they're wrong too often.  I heard Rom Wolf once say that every draft should produce one All-Pro.  It might be in the 1st round, it might be in the 3rd - drafting is an inexact science - but you need one.  Drafting starters isn't good enough.  Every team has 22 starters.  What a championship team needs is difference-makers.  Better yet, difference-makers on rookie contracts.   

So, I agree, we need Beane to build through the draft - and that means picking more playmakers instead of JAGs. 

• Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

18 hours ago, Big Turk said:

Miami had massive QB problems and the Jets kind of ran out of gas at the end of the year; both are beyond "up and coming"...they are pretty much here.  The Jets need a QB and Tua needs to stay healthy.  The Jets in particular are a bad matchup for us and we could easily lose to both teams next season.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.