Sean Payton going to Broncos country - for a 2023 first and 2024 2nd - get Saints 2024 Third

Big Blitz

2 hours ago, Big Blitz said:

So is this correct, or is the subject line of this thread saying Saints 2023 third correct?

2 hours ago, Gregg said:

Adam Schefter on Twitter: "Former 49ers’ defensive coordinator DeMeco Ryans and the Houston Texans reached agreement today on a six-year deal, per sources. Texans have their new head coach. https://t.co/1CvFSLvZY5" / Twitter

Texans have their new HC as well.

So Rapoport is reporting that Denver actually tried hard to recruit Demeco Ryans

Meanwhile, the 49ers are trying to backfill their newly-opened DC position from the Panthers:

2 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

I think they are screwed unless he can find a QB. Honestly, I think Russ is toast.

It's a good question, isn't it: can Sean Payton revive Russ's career?

I think it's all in the "Let Russ Cook" stuff.  Russ has always had the moon shots, but the moon shots/let Russ cook stuff went to his head

I think Carroll got fed up with trying to get him to work within an offensive system.

And from various expert analysis, that was a lot of the problem in Denver, too - there would be guys open, and Russ was just not making the correct defensive read and going to the same place to hit the open man (there were other things too, like receivers not helping him out, and not always having guys open or protection, but there was more "meat on the bone" than he showed.)

• Big Blitz changed the title to Sean Payton going to Broncos country - for a 2023 first and 2024 2nd - get Saints 2024 Third
53 minutes ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

May not work and Russell might be cooked (I think they should draft a guy to develop anyway). But one thing I respect about Denver is they constantly are going for it. 

also, Elway is an awful decision maker. 

Elway was an awful GM, but we wasn’t involved in this.  The current GM is just as awful though.  He traded 2 1st, 2 2nds, 3 players for Russ and then gave him the worst contract in NFL history 2 years before he was even due for an extention.

Just brutal

Edited by Billsflyer12
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Nextmanup said:

Denver's ownership group is the richest in the NFL; they have unlimited money.

Why not throw some around and see if you can make the most out of the Wilson situation with a guy who is supposed to be an offensive genius?

If it was just money, I’d be all on board if I was a Broncos fan. For a first and a second when your team is trash with little cap space? No thank you. 

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, 78thealltimegreat said:

What’s funny is the guy literally has almost the exact same record as Mike McCarthy who most of the Dallas fanbase wants run out of town. 
I hope he at least makes that division more competitive but I really have my doubts that Russell’s problems are fixable.

I agree.  I wonder if Wilson got approval on hire.

1 hour ago, Beck Water said:

So is this correct, or is the subject line of this thread saying Saints 2023 third correct?

So Rapoport is reporting that Denver actually tried hard to recruit Demeco Ryans

Meanwhile, the 49ers are trying to backfill their newly-opened DC position from the Panthers:

Crap. I was really hoping Buffalo would hire Wilks to replace Frazier.

He was the guy McDermott originally wanted to be his DC when he was first hired but Carolina promoted him to keep him. I thought with him available maybe there was a chance McDermott would move on from Frazier for him. 

4 hours ago, jkeerie said:

Good...now Fangio to SF and the Dolphins are SOL.

Didn’t Miami already hire Fangio and make him the NFL’s highest paid coordinator? What am I missing? Did the deal fall through?

edit - never mind I see now the deal wasn’t finalized yet.

Edited by BillsFan4
  • Like (+1) 2

8 hours ago, transplantbillsfan said:

Ummmm... between the Russell Wilson trade and now this do the Broncos have ANY draft picks for the foreseeable future?

And they have minimal cap space as well. And the same roster that went 5-12. I get that Hackett was a terrible coach, but what does Payton really get you when the GM can’t even improve the roster? Maybe 8-9, 9-8? 

48 minutes ago, ALLEN1QB said:

Think we could get a 7th for McD?

9-8 playoff record for Payton, 4-5 for McD.  Payton had Brees the whole time and every resource to do whatever it took yet he got to one SB total.  Not saying he is a bad coach but Payton is a tad bit overrated IMO.  He helped run that team into the ground and the are still digging out.

• Disagree 1
  • Agree 3

Bahahahaha this is so stupid.

Peyton is the most overrated Coach I’ve ever seen.  He struggled to even make the playoffs and missed them many times with Prime Drew Brees throwing for near or over 5000 yards.  

Broncos in the past 12 months have now invested 3 first round picks (two of which are top nine picks), 3 second round picks, a 5th round pick, 3 players (Including two who were very good starters for Seattle this year) and a butt load of money for:  An old Russel Wilson and an overrated coach.  

That is without question the worst use of draft capital (not to mention the other resources like players and cap space from Wilson’s deal) I have seen since Ditka traded his whole draft for Ricky Williams or since Minnesota sent all those picks to Dallas for that insane moron Herschel Walker.  

You can rebuild a franchise with all those picks, cash, and players.  Yet they chose to spend it on Wilson on the downside of his career and a HC whose record is underwhelming considering he had the 2nd most prolific passer in NFL history most in his prime during his career as a HC.  

This is why I kept telling all the ridiculous posts on here there was ZERO percent chance Peyton was coming here because Beane would never be so stupid to trade that kind of capital to get an overrated HC.

For all that offense, they didn’t win much and didn’t make the Super Bowl but one time (during hurricane Katrina) the lone season they had motivation and actually had a good defense to go with the good offense.  

Edited by Alphadawg7
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Disagree 1
  • Agree 2

19 hours ago, 78thealltimegreat said:

What’s funny is the guy literally has almost the exact same record as Mike McCarthy who most of the Dallas fanbase wants run out of town. 
I hope he at least makes that division more competitive but I really have my doubts that Russell’s problems are fixable.

And a worse record than McDermott

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

17 hours ago, PetermansRedemption said:

If it was just money, I’d be all on board if I was a Broncos fan. For a first and a second when your team is trash with little cap space? No thank you. 

Exactly. This isn't baseball where you can buy your way out of problems. At least the Rams got productive players for their picks.

17 hours ago, BillsFan4 said:

Crap. I was really hoping Buffalo would hire Wilks to replace Frazier.

He was the guy McDermott originally wanted to be his DC when he was first hired but Carolina promoted him to keep him.

The report says they asked permission to talk to him. They didn't hire him. But if Sean asks for permission to talk to him he needs a backup plan, because Frazier would be gone.

I think McD and Frazier are good enough coaches to fix the defense. It's the philosophy that needs to change. 2 years of getting torched in the playoffs has to be a wake up call to address this. If not, it doesn't matter who the coordinator is if Sean wants this type of defense.

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, KHAN said:

The report says they asked permission to talk to him. They didn't hire him. But if Sean asks for permission to talk to him he needs a backup plan, because Frazier would be gone.

I think McD and Frazier are good enough coaches to fix the defense. It's the philosophy that needs to change. 2 years of getting torched in the playoffs has to be a wake up call to address this. If not, it doesn't matter who the coordinator is if Sean wants this type of defense.

I have zero confidence that McD and Frazier are going to change their philosophy. The best I am hoping is that the FO feels enough heat that they truly devote most of the draft and limited fa assets to improving the oline and helping Josh out. Josh and Dorsey also need to get together and decide who is going to be the grown up in the room. I hate this feeling that we are wasting prime years of the franchise qb we waited a generation for to replace Kelly.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.