Sean Payton going to Broncos country - for a 2023 first and 2024 2nd - get Saints 2024 Third

Big Blitz

2 minutes ago, Jerome007 said:

It sure looks it but I can't figure out why! He played awfully good with maybe the worst OL a few years ago. And he had been consistent in his production till last year, Easy to play Monday Morning QB but most "experts" predicted the Broncos would be legit contenders to win the AFC when they took Wilson!

Interestingly though the people who saw him the most - Schneider and Carroll - were ready to move on for a few years for the right deal. I always thought that was mad but maybe there was something to it. 

• Like (+1) 1

I'm surprised.  Thought he'd wait another year for San Diego or perhaps Seattle. 

I'd be wary of working for ownership that made their money by selling goods for as cheap as possible and ruthlessly managing corporate overhead.  Just like the Fords try to apply car manufacturing principles to football or the Haslems applying learned lessons from running truck stops, you'll see Wal-Mart folks try Wal-Mart strategies on their football team.  With that crew, as long as the season meets profit targets, record may be irrelevant.  

6 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

oh Elway....

I wonder what would've happened here if the Bills hired Payton.

6 minutes ago, Chicken Boo said:

If you're trying to right the ship with Russ, then I don't think there's a better move that can be made.  

They don't need much of anything on offense.  Just a mind to get the most out of Wilson.  

This assumes, of course, that Wilson is still interested in actually playing the game of football, rather than marketing being a football player above all else.  He was not good, and maybe Payton is a Franciscan, who through missionary work can make miracles happen.

Reading this article, contractually it will be tough for the Broncos to walk away before early in 2024 

https://www.pff.com/news/nfl-denver-broncos-russell-wilson-contract-breakdown

Maybe Payton rides with Wilson for one year to see if his skills are truly gone. He must have had this talk with the Denver FO before taking on the job. Payton has too much ego to walk into a situation where he cannot win for the next 2-3 years. I will give him the benefit of the doubt and assume he has some plan to respectability for the Broncos in 2023. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.