Bengals DC Lou Anarumo interviewing for Cards HC

Inigo Montoya

10 minutes ago, Beck Water said:

Frazier has 3 strikes against him. 

The first is, he had 3 years as HC of the Vikings, and they were not particularly successful 21-33-1

Now, he had no freakin' QB (Ponder and Cassel) and he actually managed to get them to a playoff game and a 10-6 record with Ponder.

But that's lost in the small print.

The second is, the current trend is to hire hot young offensive minds

The third is, his team keeps falling short in the clutch.  Now maybe that's not all on him - injuries, players not executing - but the Buck Stops Here.

I think another big problem is that people wonder how much of the Bills' defense is Frazier's and how much is McDermott's.  It's the same issue with Bieniemy in KC with Andy Reid there.

3 minutes ago, Inigo Montoya said:

I think another big problem is that people wonder how much of the Bills' defense is Frazier's and how much is McDermott's.  It's the same issue with Bieniemy in KC with Andy Reid there.

Or perhaps allowing 1400 yards in 3 playoff losses while trying to play "bend but don't break" against elite QB's is why 

23 minutes ago, Beck Water said:

Frazier has 3 strikes against him. 

The first is, he had 3 years as HC of the Vikings, and they were not particularly successful 21-33-1

Now, he had no freakin' QB (Ponder and Cassel) and he actually managed to get them to a playoff game and a 10-6 record with Ponder.

But that's lost in the small print.

The second is, the current trend is to hire hot young offensive minds

The third is, his team keeps falling short in the clutch.  Now maybe that's not all on him - injuries, players not executing - but the Buck Stops Here.

Fourth: he is 63 years old and been in the league forever. He is the definition of an old, retread coach.

• Agree 1

23 minutes ago, Inigo Montoya said:

Bienemy not getting a HC job tells me what teams think of the KC offense, especially with everyone looking for great offensive minds these days granted he is 53 which might feel is on the old side. 

26 minutes ago, Matt_In_NH said:

Reading their board, they have dismissed the Bills as a contender.  At this point I look at it that you need to get past Cinci and KC.  They were in the SB last year and almost won it and handed the Bills their second playoff home loss in the SB era.   IMO they deserve respect even though I think it is fair to think the Bills are right there or better overall.

Reading TBD, so have half the Bills fans here.

I was pretty downtrodden immediately afterwards, but I've come around to the idea that it's closer than the BIlls poor effort in the divisional round suggested. They weren't playing well down the stretch, but I didn't expect them to look that awful. With a normal effort from them, and better tackling, I would have expected a game like the KC/Cinci championship game. I'd argue that a 1b WR, a competent OL, a change in defensive philosophy (not SCHEME, but philosophy), all things that can be accomplished in an offseason even with their cap constraints, and better injury luck that doesn't completely decimate a position group the way it did to both the DL and the secondary by the end of that game and the Bills are right back to where they were at the beginning of this season. Figuring in AZ stealing half of Cinci's defensive coaching staff if Anarumo gets a HC gig, and I think they take a step back next year.

• Like (+1) 1

I agree with the previous post.  The Bills have some work to do, but they can get back to their status as one of the top teams in the NFL next season.  A healthy Josh Allen, a new body or two on the OL, Micah Hyde back, Von Miller back at the end of the season, Tre White back to 100%, more integration of Cook and Shakir into the offense, some evolution of the offense (better playcalling - how about some screens, slants, and wheel routes to the RB?, more continuity), more mature Elam and Benford, are all achievable and most of these things are likely.  I'd also like to see changes on defense - possibly moving on from Frazier by not renewing his contract - but not sure that's going to happen.  The Bengals-Chiefs game definitely opened my eyes a bit.  The Bills beat that Chiefs team in KC this season and it was not a fluke.  The Chiefs showed that the Bengals can be beaten. The Bills struggled down the strectch, but perhaps Allen was more injured than he or the team let on.  The Bills have to do some honest assessment of their weaknesses and address them.  If they opt for the status quo, they will still be a good team, but not a serious contender.  If they make the necessary improvements that most observers can see are needed, they can get right back to the top.

Edited by msw2112
  • Agree 1

7 minutes ago, msw2112 said:

I agree with the previous post.  The Bills have some work to do, but they can get back to their status as one of the top teams in the NFL next season.  A healthy Josh Allen, a new body or two on the OL, Micah Hyde back, Von Miller back at the end of the season, Tre White back to 100%, more integration of Cook and Shakir into the offense, some evolution of the offense (better playcalling - how about some screens, slants, and wheel routes to the RB?, more continuity), more mature Elam and Benford, are all achievable and most of these things are likely.  I'd also like to see changes on defense - possibly moving on from Frazier by not renewing his contract - but not sure that's going to happen.  The Bengals-Chiefs game definitely opened my eyes a bit.  The Bills beat that Chiefs team in KC this season and it was not a fluke.  The Chiefs showed that the Bengals can be beaten. The Bills struggled down the strectch, but perhaps Allen was more injured than he or the team let on.  The Bills have to do some honest assessment of their weaknesses and address them.  If they opt for the status quo, they will still be a good team, but not a serious contender.  If they make the necessary improvements that most observers can see are needed, they can get right back to the top.

A great point not many have mentioned 

7 hours ago, Success said:

I'm not as worried about the Bengals in the years ahead as I was about a week ago.

We really made them look better than they are.  Not dismissing them as a contender, but the game Sunday showed me that they have roughly as many flaws as we do (the Bills just couldn't take advantage), and I'd take Allen over Burrow 10x out of 10.

Yeah, this is the way it seemed to me. The Bills just had an absolutely awful game.

Bengals are a very good team and I'm not less worried, but if we're playing well, I think we have a very good shot at beating them. I also think that with Von and DaQuan we'd have looked a lot better last week.

• Like (+1) 1

7 hours ago, MJS said:

Fourth: he is 63 years old and been in the league forever. He is the definition of an old, retread coach.

Regardless of his age, if he was willing to adapt or adjust to different opponents each week, I could get on board.  But he doesn't. He runs the exact same Tampa 2 zone with limited blitzes no matter the offense he's facing.  His insistence to rarely run man press has been his playoff downfall.  It's long overdue time to move on from Leslie. 

• Disagree 1

5 hours ago, LABILLBACKER said:

Regardless of his age, if he was willing to adapt or adjust to different opponents each week, I could get on board.  But he doesn't. He runs the exact same Tampa 2 zone with limited blitzes no matter the offense he's facing.  His insistence to rarely run man press has been his playoff downfall.  It's long overdue time to move on from Leslie. 

I have to agree. I would not be opposed to moving on from Frazier. This defense needs an injection of new ideas and scheming. It has gotten stale.

• Agree 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.