Bengals DC Lou Anarumo interviewing for Cards HC

Inigo Montoya

I'm not as worried about the Bengals in the years ahead as I was about a week ago.

We really made them look better than they are.  Not dismissing them as a contender, but the game Sunday showed me that they have roughly as many flaws as we do (the Bills just couldn't take advantage), and I'd take Allen over Burrow 10x out of 10.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 4
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Lou Amarumo and Mike Kafka would be the two guys I would hire in this cycle. No two coaches did more with less than these two this year. Amarumo runs a defense that doesn't have a lot of stars but constantly confuses and limits star QB's on the big stage.

Mike Kafka worked with Daboll this year, elevating Daniel Jones to a level he wasn't even close too before, has a pedigree as a College/NFL QB, and he also worked under Andy Reid as their QB coach. 

How both of these guys aren't getting more looks is beyond me. 

• Agree 1

53 minutes ago, gonzo1105 said:

Lou Amarumo and Mike Kafka would be the two guys I would hire in this cycle. No two coaches did more with less than these two this year. Amarumo runs a defense that doesn't have a lot of stars but constantly confuses and limits star QB's on the big stage.

Mike Kafka worked with Daboll this year, elevating Daniel Jones to a level he wasn't even close too before, has a pedigree as a College/NFL QB, and he also worked under Andy Reid as their QB coach. 

How both of these guys aren't getting more looks is beyond me. 

DeMarco Ryans might be another guy I'd toss in but think most of these guys need a strong staff with them as not sure any of them pure HC/culture change types. 

It's about time this guy got some consideration for a HC position.  He is a creative defensive mind.  Hope they give him a shot.

1 hour ago, Dick_Cheney said:

Wow, imagine having your teams coaches wait until after they're out of the playoffs to interview for other teams.

I agree, but I believe the OC was interviewed for other HC positions prior, and this might be Anarumo's first opportunity.  He hadn't been mentioned prior to this opportunity.

1 minute ago, 947 said:

Can't they interview Frazier instead?

I feel like I could’ve done a better job as DC against the Bengals if I had just asked my corners to play up on their receiver and my safeties to stay back. With all the zone and off coverage Frazier ran, there were too many breakdowns and confusion. Cinci WRs didn’t have to earn anything or make plays on the ball like they had to against KC. If we switched the coordinators and the Bengals had Frazier and the Bills had Anarumo, I think you’d be looking at a very different outcome to that game.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Success said:

I'm not as worried about the Bengals in the years ahead as I was about a week ago.

We really made them look better than they are.  Not dismissing them as a contender, but the game Sunday showed me that they have roughly as many flaws as we do (the Bills just couldn't take advantage), and I'd take Allen over Burrow 10x out of 10.

Reading their board, they have dismissed the Bills as a contender.  At this point I look at it that you need to get past Cinci and KC.  They were in the SB last year and almost won it and handed the Bills their second playoff home loss in the SB era.   IMO they deserve respect even though I think it is fair to think the Bills are right there or better overall.

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, I'm Spartacus said:

Doesn't ANYBODY like Frazier?? C'mon man!

Frazier has 3 strikes against him. 

The first is, he had 3 years as HC of the Vikings, and they were not particularly successful 21-33-1

Now, he had no freakin' QB (Ponder and Cassel) and he actually managed to get them to a playoff game and a 10-6 record with Ponder.

But that's lost in the small print.

The second is, the current trend is to hire hot young offensive minds

The third is, his team keeps falling short in the clutch.  Now maybe that's not all on him - injuries, players not executing - but the Buck Stops Here.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.