Ryan Fitzpatrick better option for QB coach

Figster

In September and October, the Bills were the best team in the AFC and probably the entire NFL.  As has been mentioned here previously many times, the 2nd half of the Green Bay game was the start of a decline.  I'm not sure exactly what happened - injuries, game film from the first few games made them predictable to opponents, a combintation of the two?  In any event, there's no doubt that Cincy and KC were playing much better football in December and January.  That doesn't mean that the Bills cannot improve their health and make some changes that will get them back to where they were earlier in the season.  While I would like to see some changes at the coordinator level, I don't think they should blow it up and fire the head coach.

• Like (+1) 2

So in addition to the red zone interceptions that reared their ugly head this season, you'd also like Allen to start throwing soul crushing INTs with 2 minutes left, a full complement of time outs, the Bills ahead of the chains and the game still winnable?

5 hours ago, WhoTom said:

Fitz is a family man; I'm not sure he wants to take on the schedule of a coach, especially when he's making good money with a cushy TV gig.

I do agree, however, that he'd be a good QB coach if he chose to become one.

This is it for me in a nutshell. Chan Gailey is a very good Offensive minded football guru IMO. Gaileys getting up there in age at 71 and may not coach again IMO. Fitzpatrick in all likelihood has the Gailey playbook memorized by now. Fitzpatrick also knows how to use it. To me this gives Fitzpatrick a leg up over anyone else available and reason to consider coaching. Along with good leadership abilities I wouldn't expect Fitzy to stop at QB coach. Not in my opinion he wouldn't. Ryan Fitzpatrick would just be getting started in my opinion. 

I'm not looking to make drastic changes to Dorsey's O. I do however think a mind like Fitzy's can add some innovation and help with real time game adjustments when in communication with Dorsey.  I also think Fitz has what it takes to become an OC in the league one day IMO. If he so chooses. So what does Fitzpatrick think. Fitzy would have to really love the game of football.

• Agree 1

5 minutes ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

Honestly, I’d still take him as our backup if he wanted to play. Perfect guy to work/ hang with Josh, he loves Buffalo, and that guy deserves to experience the playoffs. 

that said, it guarantees Allen would get hurt so maybe not haha.

I wouldn't be hating it C.Biscuit97 and would call it an upgrade IMO.

Both ways he helps Josh Allen...

Edited by Figster

6 hours ago, 78thealltimegreat said:

You know I would love to try and pry Brian Griese from the 49ers the job he did getting Brock Purdy ready is one of the real underrated stories of the year. Give him Josh and I think he’d be in heaven 

Griese is possibly considering a return to Michigan.

• Thank you (+1) 1

7 hours ago, Figster said:

I wanted to start a seperate thread on this in hopes of catching the right persons attention. Davis Webb has expressed interest in coming back to Buffalo and taking on the Bills QB coaching position. Webb did a good job coaching the Bills practice squad and is familar with the Bills Offense. I'm OK with Webb making a play for Joe Brady's job. My thoughts on this is If Buffalo is looking to possibly add some wrinkles to the Bills Offense. From an X's and O's standpoint Ryan Fitzpatrick has worked very closely with Chan Gailey for years.  Fitz has the Gailey playbook memorized and knows how to use it. Everyone knows Fitz almost aced the wonderlic test. To me its a no brainer to give the bigger brain a shot at the job If interested. From a leadership standpoint Fitz checks all the boxes. Ryan Fitzpatrick also has the same mentality as Josh Allen. When all else fails bludgeon the opposition with your body. Well, in Fitzys case, his big head. Bills O just needs a little sprinkle of Fitzmagic IMO.

Any thought on this my fellow Bills fans? 

As many have already stated he may not want to put in the time requirement to be a coach.

But the second and maybe more important point is Webb has shown enthusiasm in coaching.  While I agree with everything  you state about Fitz, it doesn't automatically translate into being a good teacher as ultimately that's what coaching is all about.  I've seen many people over the years be really good at something, but that doesn't mean they have the ability to explain it in a way that others will understand.

• Like (+1) 1

Quick! Someone go tell Fitz he's a QB Coach!

On the othe hand, not everyone is motivated solely by money. Maybe Fitz would enjoy coaching. He might indeed be an excellent NFL QB coach, OC or even HC some day if he wants to take on that challenge.

Edited by GreggTX
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

There's no reason to replace Brady, unless it's that Dorsey doesn't feel secure as the OC and doesn't want a likely replacement on his staff.  Brady is an experienced OC and probably would bring more innovation and creativity to the position than Dorsey knows how to do.  

• Like (+1) 1

10 hours ago, Herb Nightly said:

This is nuts. There is no indication Bills are ready to move on from the Dorsey/Brady combo after one season.

And what's with the  fanboy suggestions that their idols can actually coach,or even want to?

I was actually not a big fan of Fitzy QB ing the Buffalo Bills. Used to have a thread here about Fitz being a turnover machine. Ryan Fitzpatrick continued to improve throughout his career because he's smart. Not because of arm talent. Fitzy always knew where to go with the ball. Arm strength was always the problem IMO. I do admire what the bearded one accomplished. Chan Gailey would probably tell you the same thing. So no sir, this is not a fanboy suggestion. This is a man I truly Billieve can make the Buffalo Bills Offense better in my humble opinion.

You guys have given so many good reasons why Ryan Fitzpatrick would not want to take up coaching. Fitzy would have to love football and the Buffalo Bills a whole lot to even consider it in my humble opinion. This is true. 

Thanks Herb Nightly, it was a fair question to ask. 

I like Fitzy as much as the next guy but its time to end the fascination with Fitz the QB, Fitz the coach, or Fitz the player coach.  If he has some ambition to get involved with the business side of the game then maybe we can revive this conversation in 5 years.  As it stands, hes a happily retired media personality.

• Thank you (+1) 1

36 minutes ago, Jauronimo said:

I like Fitzy as much as the next guy but its time to end the fascination with Fitz the QB, Fitz the coach, or Fitz the player coach.  If he has some ambition to get involved with the business side of the game then maybe we can revive this conversation in 5 years.  As it stands, hes a happily retired media personality.

Fair enough, I've done all I can my friend @Jauronimo

It will take a little Fitzmagic to get Fitzy back in Buffalo now.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.