Ryan Fitzpatrick better option for QB coach

Figster

I wanted to start a seperate thread on this in hopes of catching the right persons attention. Davis Webb has expressed interest in coming back to Buffalo and taking on the Bills QB coaching position. Webb did a good job coaching the Bills practice squad and is familar with the Bills Offense. I'm OK with Webb making a play for Joe Brady's job. My thoughts on this is If Buffalo is looking to possibly add some wrinkles to the Bills Offense. From an X's and O's standpoint Ryan Fitzpatrick has worked very closely with Chan Gailey for years.  Fitz has the Gailey playbook memorized and knows how to use it. Everyone knows Fitz almost aced the wonderlic test. To me its a no brainer to give the bigger brain a shot at the job If interested. From a leadership standpoint Fitz checks all the boxes. Ryan Fitzpatrick also has the same mentality as Josh Allen. When all else fails bludgeon the opposition with your body. Well, in Fitzys case, his big head. Bills O just needs a little sprinkle of Fitzmagic IMO.

Any thought on this my fellow Bills fans? 

Edited by Figster
  • Haha (+1) 5
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

Fitz is a family man; I'm not sure he wants to take on the schedule of a coach, especially when he's making good money with a cushy TV gig.

I do agree, however, that he'd be a good QB coach if he chose to become one.

• Agree 4
  • Awesome! (+1) 3

1 hour ago, Figster said:

I wanted to start a seperate thread on this in hopes of catching the right persons attention. Davis Webb has expressed interest in coming back to Buffalo and taking on the Bills QB coaching position. Webb did a good job coaching the Bills practice squad and is familar with the Bills Offense. I'm OK with Webb making a play for Joe Brady's job. My thoughts on this is If Buffalo is looking to possibly add some wrinkles to the Bills Offense. From an X's and O's standpoint Ryan Fitzpatrick has worked very closely with Chan Gailey for years.  Fitz has the Gailey playbook memorized and knows how to use it. Everyone knows Fitz almost aced the wonderlic test. To me its a no brainer to give the bigger brain a shot at the job If interested. From a leadership standpoint Fitz checks all the boxes. Ryan Fitzpatrick also has the same mentality as Josh Allen. When all else fails bludgeon the opposition with your body. Well, in Fitzys case, his big head. Bills O just needs a little sprinkle of Fitzmagic IMO.

I'd be all in on bringing Fitz back in most any capacity the dude is true blue Bills all the way & definitely a fan favorite but i'm not sure if he would be into spending the amount of time it takes to be a coach in the NFL .

From anything i have heard coaching is basically a 24/7 job especially during the season & Fitz has a pretty good size family . In his announcers role he gets time i would think to go home during the week & spend time with his kids & such not sure if he would be willing to give that up .

I know he would be okay in some ways to live back in the Buffalo area but he's done his time in the NFL being a player just not sure f he would be willing to give up his new found freedom to be in a position that would take up so much of his time even though i think he would be great at it !! 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

I lost track of Fitz's career earnings several years ago. At that time, it was north of $65 million! 

He is not going to want to be a position coach in the NFL....and doesn't he have like 13 children?

In that regard, he is not so far removed from the Civil War time period after all!

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Figster said:

Fitz is having a great time as a TNF football commentator and family man.

His kids and wife are happy being able to live in AZ and establish themselves on sports teams and stay in the same schools.

He's expressed zero (0) interest in coaching.

• Thank you (+1) 2

For sure Fitzy is brilliant, but why on earth would he leave a gig that has him working just a few days a week for more money than what he would make as a QB coach. If he has the coaching bug, then sure.... offer him the spot if it became available, but I just don't see him wanting to go down that road. Plus, as others have mentioned; he is a family first guy. He already put his career ahead of his family once. I don't see him doing that again. At least not while his kids are young. 

Not to mention, with his brain power he can probably do whatever he wants and make crap tons of money. Why bust his a$$ working long grueling hours, not seeing his kids or wife for peanuts?

Edited by BigPappy
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

If only the issue was QB coach.  McD, unlike many of his predecessors, is not a clown, and actually built something where the team has been competitive for consecutive years for the first time in, like, forever.

However, the end of the season, which for anybody who was paying attention throughout, ended with that expected thud, and once again without a chance to win the SB.  Players coming out and saying that they were done means that the team doesn't need a new QB coach.  It means that it needs a new HC, and a new regime from there on down.

It appears that's it isn't going to happen, and that's fine 'cause I have zero say in it, but it really should.  When you look at the drop off between KC, Cinn, and Buffalo, it's significant.

• Sad 1
  • Disagree 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.