Perhaps Kromer is overrated as an OLine coach?

Big Turk

PFF.  Hahaha.  Never ever use that as a guide for anything.

We had a better running game and Allen held onto the ball longer in pocket.  What more do you want from an oline?

The QB needs to be held accountable for missed assignments too.  He needs to pre-read the defense and make adjustments before the ball is snapped.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Vomit 3
  • Disagree 3
  • Dislike 2

The guy who brought everyone down was Saffold. Saffold is the leech here, sucking the life out of the rest of the OL with his ineptitude. Feliciano was better than him at LG and D. Williams was better at RG than Bates. We need to upgrade the pieces before we start throwing beach chairs at people. 

• Like (+1) 3
  • Haha (+1) 6
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Just now, Back2Buff said:

We had a better running game and Allen held onto the ball longer in pocket.  What more do you want from an oline?

The QB needs to be held accountable for missed assignments too.  He needs to pre-read the defense and make adjustments before the ball is snapped.

I will say that part…PART… of this true.  At times Allen does need to be better with decision making.  Especially when to take the man underneath rather than going for the high percentage shot.  But it’s a balancing act that I’m hope he figured out soon.  

Also, yes Allen does leave a clean pocket at times to set up some crazy scramble plays.  

BUT…. The offensive line was not very good. At best they were average…at worst they were in the bottom of the league.  

Dawkins had a pretty average year and it’s fair to expect more of him.  Morse and Bates were ok when it came to pass protection - not as good with run blocking and moving people.  

Roger Saffold was horrible and will be replaced and I don’t think Spencer Brown is a starting caliber RT.  I’m hoping the Bills find a replacement there too.  

Either way, the line was the weak part of the offense and it does need to improve 

2 minutes ago, H2o said:

The guy who brought everyone down was Saffold. Saffold is the leech here, sucking the life out of the rest of the OL with his ineptitude. Feliciano was better than him at LG and D. Williams was better at RG than Bates. We need to upgrade the pieces before we start throwing beach chairs at people. 

I don’t know if Williams was better than Bates.  We’ve seen in the past that Bates can be a decent lineman.  Long term, I’d like an upgrade but he’s good enough to start next year.  The bigger issues are Saffold and Brown.  Both were terrible 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, Back2Buff said:

Sorry dude not buying it. I lost track at how many times Saffold and Brown got beat immediately by their man. Quessenberry almost knocked Josh out for the season. Dawkins tailed off at the end of the season. I'm sure some of this is on the combination of Josh and Dorsey playing long ball and ignoring checkdowns.  But all in all Beach chairs had a bad year.

• Like (+1) 3

Just now, MrEpsYtown said:

I will say this, the Rams dudes regressed when he left there. But I think a lot of the credit for how strong our O line was in his previous stay needs to go to Greg Roman and his scheme.

But the fact remains the Bills identified this as a point of weakness and wanted to get better and they got worse...

• Agree 2

16 minutes ago, Back2Buff said:

The difference in Allen's pocket times were negligible. 2.5 this year, 2.4 last year.  Not much of a difference. I will say the numbers for hits, hurries and sacks looks much better this year than it did last year, but the eye test this year looked much worse than last year.

Per game, Allen averaged 2/3/2 sacks/knockdowns/hurries versus 2/4/6 last year, however Allen also averaged 4 more attempts/game last year as well.

Interesting tidbit as well...Mahomes consistently has more poor passes per game than Allen has over the last 3 years...he has averaged 1 more poor pass per game than Allen each of the last 3 seasons.

• Agree 1

Kromer has a history of having good OLs, including in his previous go around here. You can't live in reputation forever, but these players were brought in under Bobby Johnson's reign (who doesn't have the pedigree of Kromer), so player fit and skillset does become an issue...

• Shocked 1
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Dislike 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.