Would you resign Edmunds or a tackle?

78thealltimegreat

Edmunds will always be at least a above average starting caliber LB. In the right system does reach star status? Maybe, but he at least has a very high floor which will make somebody pay. Free agent LB this year:

Deion Jones

Lavante David

Devin Bush

Anthony Walker Jr

Rashaan Evans

Alex Anzelone

Kyle Van Noy

Denzel Perryman

TJ Edwards

Kwon Alexander

Dylan Cole

Germaine Pratt

Kyzier White

Lots of replacements and that is just the start of the list. 

Edited by ngbills

17 minutes ago, BuffaloRebound said:

Pretty easy call to make.  Tremaine Edmunds does not put this team over the top.  He's replaceable. 

Field a decent defense and IMPROVE THE OFFENSE!!!!!  For the love of God...

9 minutes ago, Norcalbillsfan said:

To me it's more what's happening with Frazier. Seeing as we haven't had any news he must be staying, and if Frazier is staying then he's going to want his QB. If it was a new DC then I think edmunds is gone.

Frazier and the defense have been given every possible resource (money and draft picks) to succeed, and our defense still gets its ass handed to it the last 3 playoff losses.  Daboll used to gripe about lack of resources on the offensive side of the ball and maybe that’s what the rumors about differences between Daboll and mcDermott were about.  

11 hours ago, DrDawkinstein said:

It's McD's scheme. So even if we replace Frazier, expect a DC who runs something like what we already have. Maybe with different playcalling or strategy, but the base D will likely be the same or very similar.

That sucks for fans who want a change, but is good news for if we re-sign Edmunds.

Agreed, the fact that this is McD and Frazier defense and if there isn’t any change at DC, it almost seems like we have to sign Edmonds to have any success in a defense that seems to always play coverage 2 no matter what. It definitely fits Edmonds and we do t have anyone currently on roster who can fill the Mike role in our current schemes. 

On 1/31/2023 at 9:48 AM, 78thealltimegreat said:

Interesting discussion from Joe on WGR this morning where according to analysts a 4 year deal is about 44 million for Tremaine which the Bills can definitely afford…

Or would you be ok with going after someone like a Mike McGlinchey in San Francisco who is roughly the same contract over 4 years and with other decisions in San Fran likely to hit the open market he would definitely solidify RT…but LB being a priority in the draft.

I like Tremaine but man I’d sleep a little easier not playing a rookie or Brown on Josh’s other side. 

I would trade Oliver and offer Edmunds the same deal we gave Milano with some added interest.  Take it or leave it. 

On 1/31/2023 at 11:03 AM, Augie said:

I am ready for a demonstration of how “the cap is an illusion”. Show us the magic, Beane! 

Ya, this year is going to be tight.

That illusion can be done, but, at the expense of the future for years to come.

I believe kicking the can down the road only goes well IF the players restructured are still playing well at the end of the contract or at least with only one year remaining.  We don't have many of those options left on our current roster.

On 1/31/2023 at 8:36 PM, Dopey said:

It worked out the way we thought. He sat the bench as depth and someone we can coach up. You really think he was drafted to start as a rookie? Over Edmunds or Milano?
🤔

He was in that first Jets game and got absolutely manhandled and embarrassed. There is a reason we didn’t see much of him again. He is greatly undersized and this was a huge reach that failed. I’ll be stunned if Terrell Bernard ever makes an impact play in the NFL. If I’m wrong I’d love to to be shown this one day. Seriously.

11 hours ago, Billz4ever said:

I would trade Oliver and offer Edmunds the same deal we gave Milano with some added interest.  Take it or leave it. 

I think Oliver is better at his position than Edmunds. Oliver is incredibly inconsistent (like Edmunds), but at least he’s shown he has the ability to take over games. I’ve never got the feeling Edmunds took over any game.

10 minutes ago, JayBaller10 said:

I think Oliver is better at his position than Edmunds. Oliver is incredibly inconsistent (like Edmunds), but at least he’s shown he has the ability to take over games. I’ve never got the feeling Edmunds took over any game.

The only game I remember Oliver playing well was against Detriot, against backup lineman.  Ed gets pushed around and can't shed blocks against the run.  He's a liability there.  I don't trust him to even be in there unless it's on obvious passing downs.  

Edmunds is way more consistent than Ed.  Ed is basically getting paid $10M to be a situational player.  Edmunds plays every down.

2 hours ago, Billz4ever said:

The only game I remember Oliver playing well was against Detriot, against backup lineman.  Ed gets pushed around and can't shed blocks against the run.  He's a liability there.  I don't trust him to even be in there unless it's on obvious passing downs.  

Edmunds is way more consistent than Ed.  Ed is basically getting paid $10M to be a situational player.  Edmunds plays every down.

Three games stand out that Oliver had a big hand in. The Detroit one you mentioned, the Dallas game Thanksgiving, and one of the Jets games he was absolutely dominant. A one man wrecking crew. You’re right in that Edmunds plays 100% of the snaps vs Oliver’s 50% or whatever it is, but if we’re talking about sheer impact, I’ve seen Oliver do it, just not consistently.

Edmunds doesn’t have to be Lewis, Wagner, Urlacher or Kuechly to me, but I would like to see him rise above the rest of his teammates every once in awhile. Force some fumbles, grab picks, blow up RBs or TEs who try to block him from getting to the QB, slip around OL that try to get their hands on him and make the tackle. Haven’t seen any of those as often as I would like. Some I’ve never seen.

Edited by JayBaller10
  • Thank you (+1) 1

On 2/7/2023 at 9:36 AM, DrDawkinstein said:

It's McD's scheme. So even if we replace Frazier, expect a DC who runs something like what we already have. Maybe with different playcalling or strategy, but the base D will likely be the same or very similar.

That sucks for fans who want a change, but is good news for if we re-sign Edmunds.

Forget about what we want as fans. What about a defensive scheme that has the aggressive capacity to actually win a playoff game?  That's the real question. That should be the real objective with or without Edmunds.

• Like (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, LABILLBACKER said:

Forget about what we want as fans. What about a defensive scheme that has the aggressive capacity to actually win a playoff game?  That's the real question. That should be the real objective with or without Edmunds.

The Bills under McD have never won a playoff game? I must've hallucinated those games against the Colts, Ravens, Pats, and Dolphins.

No one has won a Super Bowl with a Tampa-2? Dont tell Tampa that.

Look, I'm not much of a fan of the Cover2/Tampa2 (since at least the Jauron days), but let's not act like it's impossible to win a Champ with it.

The key to winning a SB, no matter what D scheme you are running, is being able to pressure the QB with just 4 rushers. That is how the wild card Giants beat the undefeated Patriots, that's how Tampa beat the Chiefs, that's how Denver beat Carolina, etc. And that is how we were winning games the first half of the season before Von went down.

Blitzing and rushing more than 4 will get you killed by any QB good enough to make a Super Bowl.

20 hours ago, BuffaloRebound said:

Of course we should let him walk. He's a semi-decent LB but he's not worth a dime over 12M.  If he's asking for 18-20 that should make the Bills decision very easy. He's not an elite LB anymore than Oliver is an elite DT.  The only 3 elite players we've drafted in the last 5 years is Allen, Milano & White. And with Tre's acl, who knows if he ever returns to that ability?

28 minutes ago, JayBaller10 said:

Three games stand out that Oliver had a big hand in. The Detroit one you mentioned, the Dallas game Thanksgiving, and one of the Jets games he was absolutely dominant. A one man wrecking crew. You’re right in that Edmunds plays 100% of the snaps vs Oliver’s 50% or whatever it is, but if we’re talking about sheer impact, I’ve seen Oliver do it, just not consistently.

Edmunds doesn’t have to be Lewis, Wagner, Urlacher or Kuechly to me, but I would like to see him rise above the rest of his teammates every once in awhile. Force some fumbles, grab picks, blow up RBs or TEs who try to block him from getting to the QB, slip around OL that try to get their hands on him and make the tackle. Haven’t seen any of those as often as I would like. Some I’ve never seen.

When you compare the production we get from each, I don't see how Oliver is worth $10M and Edmunds is not worth $11M (the Milano deal) if we can re-sign him for that (let's say $12M with inflation).  If there's anyone who's not living up to what they're making right now, it's Oliver.

Edmunds (13 games in 2022)

102 tackles (66 solo), 1 sack, 1 INT, 7 pass defenses, 8.5 stuffs.

Oliver (13 games in 2022)

34 tackles (20 solo), 2.5 sacks, 1 forced fumble, 1 recovery, 3 pass defenses, 8.5 stuffs.

Edited by Billz4ever

3 minutes ago, DrDawkinstein said:

The Bills under McD have never won a playoff game? I must've hallucinated those games against the Colts, Ravens, Pats, and Dolphins.

No one has won a Super Bowl with a Tampa-2? Dont tell Tampa that.

Look, I'm not much of a fan of the Cover2/Tampa2 (since at least the Jauron days), but let's not act like it's impossible to win a Champ with it.

The key to winning a SB, no matter what D scheme you are running, is being able to pressure the QB with just 4 rushers. That is how the wild card Giants beat the undefeated Patriots, that's how Tampa beat the Chiefs, that's how Denver beat Carolina, etc. And that is how we were winning games the first half of the season before Von went down.

Blitzing and rushing more than 4 will get you killed by any QB good enough to make a Super Bowl.

Dude, we both agree about the same thing. The absolute only way the tampa2 works is with an elite pass rush. The only time we've had an elite pass rush over the last 5 years of T2 is with Von on the field. Guess what, Von comes out injured and the whole defensive scheme falls apart. KC plays man more than any team in the NFL and they have an elite pass rusher in Jones. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.