Would you resign Edmunds or a tackle?

78thealltimegreat

I honestly don’t think Edmunds fits into a lot of other defenses. He is a cover LB that sometimes takes bad angles and shoots the wrong gap. He is a solid tackler but has very little value rushing the QB. He fits a cover 2 style defense that is also in nickel a lot. I wouldn’t pay him over 4 years 47mil for what he brings to the table.

• Agree 1

All the cap $$$ spent on defense and what where the playoff numbers from the last 3 years?  I would much rather bolster the offense and if needed, hope you can beat anyone in a shootout. 

Edmunds see ya. Poyer see ya.  Oliver see ya. 

Edited by LabattBlue
  • Like (+1) 2

49 minutes ago, Call_Of_Ktulu said:

I honestly don’t think Edmunds fits into a lot of other defenses. He is a cover LB that sometimes takes bad angles and shoots the wrong gap. He is a solid tackler but has very little value rushing the QB. He fits a cover 2 style defense that is also in nickel a lot. I wouldn’t pay him over 4 years 47mil for what he brings to the table.

He is a perfect fit for what Chicago likes to do and they have 100 million in cap, zero linebackers, and a QB on a rookie contract. 

Edited by MrEpsYtown

3 hours ago, Dopey said:

You wouldn’t. We know this already.  You’ve explained your thoughts on this topic, ad nausea. Kinda sounds like  “the election was rigged “. 
Why not ask Yantha why he/she would? That would make a lot more sense. 

Well dopey if I've made you nauseous I've accomplished my goal.

On 1/31/2023 at 11:02 AM, Big Turk said:

Edmunds is likely gone...someone is going to pay WELL above $11 million a year for him and the franchise tag is $20.9 million, so that isn't a realistic option either. Only hope is if he pulls a Milano and takes less to stay...he openly said how much he loves it here, how he loves the team, the coaches and the locker room...I guess we will see just how much. Perhaps a 6 or 7 year deal that gives him more in guarantees but helps save some money? Trade longer term and more guarantees for less overall money?

Sport trac sets his value at $11 million. It’s usually right on. who is paying him Roquan money…? 

10 minutes ago, Over 29 years of fanhood said:

Sport trac sets his value at $11 million. It’s usually right on. who is paying him Roquan money…? 

Nobody but someone is paying him north of $15 million a year most likely 

On 1/31/2023 at 7:52 AM, Gregg said:

I would go OL at this point. A strong OL will allow Josh to have time in the pocket to find open receivers. A strong OL will mean a better running game with the running backs doing the running instead of #17. Allen running for his life and taking too many hits needs to stop since he is the franchise of the Bills.

Tremaine is going to do nothing to extend Josh's career.

• Like (+1) 1

Losing Edmunds would be a gaping hole for our defense right now. We just don't have a bunch of good or great LB's on the roster.

Maybe Bernard has more potential than we've seen, but it's a big risk.  An argument can be made that Edmunds really sets the tone for the whole D.  He'd be a huge loss.

I’m an Edmunds hater, that said, if you can keep him for $11M, you do it.  That’s mid trot money for a guy who’s still only 13 and can develop more.   He had a career year, not saying a lot IMO, but he did. If you can get him at that price point, go for it.  

I suspect the real market for him is 17-18M and at that I’m waaaaay out.  I’m sure there are teams looking at him as untapped potential to use his speed/size in a more aggressive scheme and they’re sort of right.  If you let him chase the ball, he’s going to be better than this situation where we ask him to rely on instincts he’s never had.  

Either go grab La’Vonte David for a 5M/yr discount or look to the draft, the way we use LBs Edmunds won’t be special here.

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, Success said:

Losing Edmunds would be a gaping hole for our defense right now. We just don't have a bunch of good or great LB's on the roster.

Maybe Bernard has more potential than we've seen, but it's a big risk.  An argument can be made that Edmunds really sets the tone for the whole D.  He'd be a huge loss.

There’s definitely options between paying Edmunds $15m+ per year and starting Bernard.  I’d rather spend that $15m+ on offense or D-Line.  I’d also try to get Oliver’s $10m+ off the books.  If i’m spending that money on defense, I’d much rather a $5-7m per year Edmunds replacement plus Payne or Hargrave for the same price of Edmunds and Oliver.  

Just now, BuffaloRebound said:

There’s definitely options between paying Edmunds $15m+ per year and starting Bernard.  I’d rather spend that $15m+ on offense or D-Line.  I’d also try to get Oliver’s $10m+ off the books.  If i’m spending that money on defense, I’d much rather a $5-7m per year Edmunds replacement plus Payne or Hargrave for the same price of Edmunds and Oliver.  

See the post below. The easiest way to get him under $10M is to re-sign him. At least for the first year or two, and hope the cap goes up enough to absorb the contract as it grows.

I'd bring him back on the Smith deal. $9M next year, $13M year 2. That is plenty of runway for the cap to grow.

On 1/31/2023 at 5:53 PM, DrDawkinstein said:

Here's what we are looking at for the Edmunds deal:

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/baltimore-ravens/roquan-smith-25103/

0UQuzVD.png

Not too bad if we could actually get something like this done. Get that hit down from $12M this year to $9M next year, have an out after 3 years.

4 minutes ago, DrDawkinstein said:

See the post below. The easiest way to get him under $10M is to re-sign him. At least for the first year or two, and hope the cap goes up enough to absorb the contract as it grows.

I'd bring him back on the Smith deal. $9M next year, $13M year 2. That is plenty of runway for the cap to grow.

I’m not a fan of paying Oliver more than $7-8m per year or Edmunds more than $11-12m per year.  With Josh we’re trying to win Super Bowls not be happy to make playoffs every year.  OL, WR#2, and even RB is where the money needs to be spent this off-season.  

• Thank you (+1) 1

On 1/31/2023 at 3:48 PM, 78thealltimegreat said:

Interesting discussion from Joe on WGR this morning where according to analysts a 4 year deal is about 44 million for Tremaine which the Bills can definitely afford…

Or would you be ok with going after someone like a Mike McGlinchey in San Francisco who is roughly the same contract over 4 years and with other decisions in San Fran likely to hit the open market he would definitely solidify RT…but LB being a priority in the draft.

I like Tremaine but man I’d sleep a little easier not playing a rookie or Brown on Josh’s other side. 

McGlinchey isn't that good IMO so I wouldn't overpay for him. But if I could trade for a left tackle.... I have suggested Jake Matthews, slide Dion Dawkins to left guard.... and the cost of that was not being able to keep Tremaine.... then I am willing to talk. 

• Like (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, BuffaloRebound said:

I’m not a fan of paying Oliver more than $7-8m per year or Edmunds more than $11-12m per year.  With Josh we’re trying to win Super Bowls not be happy to make playoffs every year.  OL, WR#2, and even RB is where the money needs to be spent this off-season.  

Good news then, we wouldnt be paying Edmunds that much for a couple more years.

We dont have much money to spend on anyone, let alone high-$$ positions like WR and OL. Those are likely going to come via the draft.

4 minutes ago, Chaos said:

The issue with Edmunds is DC.  It seems possible that any DC other than Fraizer would want a different type of linebacker.

It's McD's scheme. So even if we replace Frazier, expect a DC who runs something like what we already have. Maybe with different playcalling or strategy, but the base D will likely be the same or very similar.

That sucks for fans who want a change, but is good news for if we re-sign Edmunds.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.