Would you resign Edmunds or a tackle?

78thealltimegreat

11 minutes ago, BadboyBills said:

I hated Joe's argument, I found it was very disingenuous in that he didnt even factor in possible contract restructures that would create more cap space and fill the need of wr or guard or all 3. Having said that if we dont sign Tremaine and I hear people complain about our MLB sucking, I'm putting you on full blast.

The only replacement would be Simpson from Clemson and Im not sure he is there at 27.

They allowed 6 yards a carry to Joe Mixon and Perrine with him on the field much less what Miami did to the Bills with Raheem Mostart so our two defensive geniuses with a combined 40 years coaching defense will just have to make do with the Bills wanting to protect the guy who is the entire franchise. 

50 minutes ago, Brianmoorman4jesus said:

It’s not even about money at this stage for me. I just flat out don’t even want him back. I want a new downhill physical LB that plays fast with instincts and tackling ability. Edmunds always looks like he’s thinking first, then moving. I want a guy that just plays fast football and just transforms our Defense into a physically imposing unit. Draft a guy in round 1 or 2 and just let Edmunds go learn somewhere else.

I thought they should have turned him into a couple of good picks last year and drafted Christian Harris. Not sure if they actually could have after picking up 5th yr. option, but unloading him on say Detroit could have got us a high 2nd and 4th.

It's time to go all in on the offense. Build that oline and get some dynamic WRs. 

Let the defense fall where it falls. Spend little to no money on it. Fraizer's system is a proven loser in the playoffs. Hope the current players stay healthy and step up. Let coach McD work his defensive brain. 

In essence, give Allen  weapons and protection. Let the offense roll. Win games in shootouts. No more relying on the defense to win games. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

I think this is a no brainer Edmunds ! The Bills have their 2 starting tackles in Dion & Brown and i think if Brown wouldn't have had the back thing going on in OTA's & the pre season to put in all the reps he would have had a better season than he did .

Edmunds looks to be coming into his own & is still a very young man plus he knows this D probably as good as Frazier does plus the chemistry he & Millano have built up playing together it's kind of like Hyde & Poyer .

Plus the fact that they have Tommy Doyle coming back next season and if Edmunds goes then what & i'm not really sure the Bills will have the kind of capital that you think they will next year to afford a signing like that i feel Beane will let him test the market .

After Roquan Smith reset the market this last season i think Edmunds will be looking for something close to that . Edmunds said in his last interview that i saw he loves it here & loves playing for this team & the organization but it's all about the money any more there isn't many players anymore that are that committed to one team to give a home town discount they are after the big bucks .

That and the fact that there is any number of teams out there that have a lot more money than the Bills & would love to have someone like Edmunds on their team so i just think he's gone any way but i would choose Edmunds despite what some here think .

3 hours ago, 78thealltimegreat said:

Interesting discussion from Joe on WGR this morning where according to analysts a 4 year deal is about 44 million for Tremaine which the Bills can definitely afford…

Or would you be ok with going after someone like a Mike McGlinchey in San Francisco who is roughly the same contract over 4 years and with other decisions in San Fran likely to hit the open market he would definitely solidify RT…but LB being a priority in the draft.

I like Tremaine but man I’d sleep a little easier not playing a rookie or Brown on Josh’s other side. 

McGlinchey not lived up to his draft position I'd be reserved signing him or Edmunds for that matter, Instead I get a starting caliber OG, add depth at TE and WR and take a best available guy in Round 1. 

• Like (+1) 1

Interesting discussion from Joe on WGR this morning where according to analysts a 4 year deal is about 44 million for Tremaine which the Bills can definitely afford…

Or would you be ok with going after someone like a Mike McGlinchey in San Francisco who is roughly the same contract over 4 years and with other decisions in San Fran likely to hit the open market he would definitely solidify RT…but LB being a priority in the draft.

I like Tremaine but man I’d sleep a little easier not playing a rookie or Brown on Josh’s other side. 

I have heard a bunch of talking head "experts" discuss Tremaine and they are saying he is likely to get more like $15 million + per season.

I hope we just let the guy go.

• Awesome! (+1) 1

23 minutes ago, newcam2012 said:

It's time to go all in on the offense. Build that oline and get some dynamic WRs. 

Let the defense fall where it falls. Spend little to no money on it. Fraizer's system is a proven loser in the playoffs. Hope the current players stay healthy and step up. Let coach McD work his defensive brain. 

In essence, give Allen  weapons and protection. Let the offense roll. Win games in shootouts. No more relying on the defense to win games. 

I agree. I almost don't give a rats ass what the defense does next year. It should be 100% about flooding the offense with weapons and protection around your super asset. Stop dicking around wasting 65-70% of your cap space on under performing defense players. Milano and a healthy Von are the only ones worth their salt.  All Offense in 2023.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Earlier this season I would have said sign Edmunds.  He absolutely had his best year and would be worth that investment.  

HOWEVER...What is the point given Frazier's defensive showings the last 3 exits?

With both Poyer and Edmunds...our defense under Frazier has given up 107 points and 1403 yards (36 PPG, 470 yards PPG) in our last 3 playoff exits...not to mention, all the money and draft picks also invested over those 3 years in the defense.  It has NOT helped, and our D has been embarrassingly bad in back to back KC losses and now this Cincy loss.   If having these guys doesn't help come playoff time, then the money vested there is a waste.  Josh needs help, he is taking way too many hits in the pocket or under duress and is trying to score on every throw because of it.  

So now, I am all in on investing in Allen and the offense this year.  

DISCLAIMER:  If we do move on from Frazier (I doubt it though), then I might lean back to signing Edmunds and give the new DC the right tools to tweak this defense to be better.

• Like (+1) 1

I have a very simplistic view of this. My question is “what has the player done or what plays did he make in all the Bills playoff losses?” If we lost the game but the player made ripples, you re-sign him. If we lost the game and you hardly heard anything about the player, you move on. I vote to allocate Tremaine’s salary to upgrading the OL.

• Agree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, Nextmanup said:

I have heard a bunch of talking head "experts" discuss Tremaine and they are saying he is likely to get more like $15 million + per season.

I hope we just let the guy go.

It's highly doubtful Tremaine stays for 11M/yr.  He's going to want a minimum of 15 and probably even more. He's gone folks. Draft  a kid or sign a cheap short term vet to replace 49.

• Like (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, LABILLBACKER said:

I agree. I almost don't give a rats ass what the defense does next year. It should be 100% about flooding the offense with weapons and protection around your super asset. Stop dicking around wasting 65-70% of your cap space on under performing defense players. Milano and a healthy Von are the only ones worth their salt.  All Offense in 2023.

Thanks for confirming my thought process is somewhat realistic. 

tackle, draft a LB.  Edmunds does not make many impactful plays, he's good, not elite.  An OT could make the offense consistently elite and allow for the chance to establish a complementary running game and give Allen time to make deep throws, let WRs get open underneath, etc.  

I'd re-sign him.

Then I'd wait a couple weeks after free agency starts and sign a couple of players on "show me" contracts.

Then go heavy on offense in the draft with at least 1 C/G and 1 OT, at least 1 WR early, at least 1 Safety.

Offensive line, WR and Safety are the teams biggest needs. Add LB to that list if you let Edmunds go.

Let Edmunds walk. The Bills need to start making tough decisions with the cap. Unless he is willing to come back a very team friendly deal with most of the cap hits back loaded they should walk away. Draft a replacement and use the little resources the Bills will have to bolster the offense. If McD and Frazier are the defensive geniuses, they are touted as than they can figure it out.

1 hour ago, Aurelius said:

Get rid of the Frazier defense, keep Edmunds and move him to OLB where he belongs.  He’d be an excellent pass rusher and has great length and speed.  I’m not sure he’s been utilized to get the most out of him in this system.  

Trade some of our other higher value underperforming guys for draft picks.  It’s odd to be in a mini rebuild right now, but it seems to be the case.  Gonna need center/other o-line, safety, LB, maybe even another edge, WR amongst others.  

I like Edmunds. I think he’s young and would do better with a different DC who actually runs stunts and doesn’t expect their MLB’s to be the cushion until the defensive backfield picks up in the zone.  

I like Oliver but his production can be replicated for cheaper.   We grabbed Settle and DaQuan Jones this past offseason and we can grab others this year.  

Edmunds gets taken out of Blitzes by Backs and can only rush through openings and doesn't have the instincts for that.

Draft Jack Campbell from Iowa.

Edited by nosejob
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.