Would you resign Edmunds or a tackle?

78thealltimegreat

18 minutes ago, SCBills said:

Gross.. For some reason I thought he was Rd1.  You're right.  

And therein lies the difference, in a nutshell, between the personnel on KC and on BUF.  They get Bolton.  2 picks later we take a JAG DE.

And to pile on, 2 picks after Basham KC came back in and took Creed Humphrey.

Two HUGE impact and value picks, while we got a 2nd (3rd?) string rotational guy.

7 minutes ago, Captain_Quint said:

No chance it's a 4 for $44 million contract. $15 per year or higher is what he will go for. And it wouldn't surprise me if it's a 5yr deal since he's so young (did you know he was young??)

Agreed. Folks need to look at what Roquan Smith just signed for. That is your Edmunds deal.

• Vomit 1
  • Sad 1

It’s not even about money at this stage for me. I just flat out don’t even want him back. I want a new downhill physical LB that plays fast with instincts and tackling ability. Edmunds always looks like he’s thinking first, then moving. I want a guy that just plays fast football and just transforms our Defense into a physically imposing unit. Draft a guy in round 1 or 2 and just let Edmunds go learn somewhere else.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Brianmoorman4jesus said:

It’s not even about money at this stage for me. I just flat out don’t even want him back. I want a new downhill physical LB that plays fast with instincts and tackling ability. Edmunds always looks like he’s thinking first, then moving. I want a guy that just plays fast football and just transforms our Defense into a physically imposing unit. Draft a guy in round 1 or 2 and just let Edmunds go learn somewhere else.

You need an entire coaching staff change to get what you laid out here. Which Im not necessarily against, but it takes way more than just signing a thumper., and that is a whole different thread.

Our scheme does not ask the MLB to play like that, nor is it designed that way. Edmunds is incredibly good at what the team/scheme rely on him to do.

Edited by DrDawkinstein
  • Thank you (+1) 1

41 minutes ago, SCBills said:

Gross.. For some reason I thought he was Rd1.  You're right.  

And therein lies the difference, in a nutshell, between the personnel on KC and on BUF.  They get Bolton.  2 picks later we take a JAG DE.

And two picks after we take Basham, they take Crees Humphrey. They hit it out of the park. 

EDIT: Just saw Dawkenstein’s post, sorry to pile on 😅

Edited by JayBaller10
  • Haha (+1) 2

If we’re gonna spend $20m per year on anybody this off-season, it better be for a guy like Daron Payne.  I think we get too focused on perceived holes in the roster and not enough on true difference makers regardless of position.  Paying Oliver $10m next year is borderline criminal.  You gotta make tough decisions like these to take the next step.  Hoping that Miller and his 34 year old repaired knee puts us over the top ain’t a sound strategy.  

• Agree 1

I hope he re-signs, but Tremaine is going to have a lot of suitors.

First you have the Bears with their 100 million in cap space. The have 0 linebackers after trading Roquan Smith and Matt Eberflus asks a lot of his backers, similar to us. I think they chase Tremaine as a key cog in the middle of their defense. 

The Texans make a ton of sense. Once they hire Demeco Ryans, I would sign Tremaine and Dre Greenlaw and call it a day. Their defense is instantly rebuilt. They will draft a QB so they can spend big in other places. 

I could see the Giants make a play with that braintrust there. However, they have Barkley and Jones as UFAs. I think if Wink Martinddale is still there he is a great fit.

If Wink goes to the Broncos I could see that happening as well. Tremaine was a Ravens fan, so he may want to play for Wink. 

As annoying as it might be, I think the Patriots will be in on Tremaine. they need to upgrade the athleticism at that position, which has been terrible for a few years. Our other AFC rival the Dolphins make a ton of sense as well, but they have some cap work to do. Tremaine's dad played for Miami. 

Finally, Dan Morgan in Carolina had a strong connection with Tremaine here, so i could see him trying to get him over there for whomever their DC becomes. They have cap work to do though, and need a QB. 

Edited by MrEpsYtown
  • Thank you (+1) 1

The way our defense under Sean is constructed, Milano and Edmunds are an absolute necessity. With questions about the quality of the D-line and secondary how do you let a tackling machine with great physical attributes, walk, especially in a 2 LB defense. If those are the numbers, there’s no decision. He’s 25 and improving every year. With a better DC, he’d have 10 sacks.

You sign both a Buffalo Bills fan shouldn’t have to choose. Make Josh Allen take a restructure his contract or flat out cut him if he refuses after that terrible season. I don’t care because Josh Allen wasn’t good enough at the end day either. If the goal is to be good not great stay the course by all means? If the goal is for the Buffalo Bills to exist to drink, party in a parking lot football is entertainment not competition and winning stay the course by all means? If the Bills mean football, competition a sport you make the changes necessary that give you the best opportunity for winning a Super Bowl championship. The Bills fan culture is terrible celebrating mediocrity. Meeting the Bills at the airport at 2 in the morning after losing is celebrating mediocrity. Worrying about tailgating going away at Bills games is celebrating mediocrity.

The Buffalo Bills need to win that is all that matters. Few remember injuries and second place woulda, coulda, shoulda let’s live on love with a tambourine in your hand at the airport like in a cult. Some Bills fans need to wake up Philadelphia Eagles are looking at another Super Bowl championship along with the Kansas City Chiefs. We don’t win anything in Bills land which is ridiculous and an embarrassment I have been a Bills fan for 48 years and counting of this nonsense. The Bills failed period whatever it takes keep both and actually do more fire the Bills whole coaching staff for failure is what I would do. I don’t want to hear about money that cheap bum Terry Pegula got $850 million dollars out of the taxpayers put a Super Bowl championship team on the field or sell the Buffalo Bills PSE. UB Bulls football won the Camellia Bowl and fired there offensive coordinator Shane Montgomery because he was incompetent and failed to win a MAC championship. Have standards Bills fans like we do in UB Bulls football land in my opinion. Go Bills! Go Bulls! Let’s Go Buffalo 

Edited by Buffalo Super Fan
  • Haha (+1) 2

If Edmunds is gonna get $16 to $18 million a year I would spend that money all day and twice on Sundays on the O-line. See MajBobby's post on who to spend it on and how much. We could get a couple nice pieces to the O-line for the cost of one good but not elite MLB.

With no cap, sure you resign him, but given our situation O-line is 10x the need MLB is right now.

2 hours ago, 78thealltimegreat said:

Interesting discussion from Joe on WGR this morning where according to analysts a 4 year deal is about 44 million for Tremaine which the Bills can definitely afford…

Or would you be ok with going after someone like a Mike McGlinchey in San Francisco who is roughly the same contract over 4 years and with other decisions in San Fran likely to hit the open market he would definitely solidify RT…but LB being a priority in the draft.

I like Tremaine but man I’d sleep a little easier not playing a rookie or Brown on Josh’s other side. 

Obviously this is JMO...But I think we'd all be well advised to just assume the Bills are going to re-sign Edmunds. They see him as a cornerstone. The only thing standing in the way of that would be Tremaine and his folks asking for the moon. But I've felt for a while now his situation is VERY similar to Milano's. They both strongly prefer to stay in Buffalo. B-)

10 minutes ago, Buffalo Super Fan said:

You sign both a Buffalo Bills fan shouldn’t have to choose. Make Josh Allen take a restructure his contract or flat out cut him if he refuses after that terrible season. I don’t care because Josh Allen wasn’t good enough at the end day either. If the goal is to be good not great stay the course by all means? If the goal is for the Buffalo Bills to exist to drink, party in a parking lot football is entertainment not competition and winning stay the course by all means? If the Bills mean football, competition a sport you make the changes necessary that give you the best opportunity for winning a Super Bowl championship. The Bills fan culture is terrible celebrating mediocrity. Meeting the Bills at the airport at 2 in the morning after losing is celebrating mediocrity. Worrying about tailgating going away at Bills games is celebrating mediocrity.

The Buffalo Bills need to win that is all that matters. Few remember injuries and second place woulda, coulda, shoulda let’s live on love with a tambourine in your hand at the airport like in a cult. Some Bills fans need to wake up Philadelphia Eagles are looking at another Super Bowl championship along with the Kansas City Chiefs. We don’t win anything in Bills land which is ridiculous and an embarrassment I have been a Bills fan for 48 years and counting of this nonsense. The Bills failed period whatever it takes keep both and actually do more fire the Bills whole coaching staff for failure is what I would do. I don’t want to hear about money that cheap bum Terry Pegula got $850 million dollars out of the taxpayers put a Super Bowl championship team on the field or sell the Buffalo Bills PSE. UB Bulls football won the Camellia Bowl and fired their offensive coordinator Shane Montgomery because he was incompetent and failed to win a MAC championship. Have standards Bills fans like we do in UB Bulls football land in my opinion. Go Bills! Go Bulls! Let’s Go Buffalo 

So let me get this straight if your QB who is one of the best players in football doesn’t restructure just cut him outright? I had no idea Bill Belichick had a twobillsdrive account I don’t think Brandon Beane is listening but hey you get an A for effort 👍

13 minutes ago, Buffalo Super Fan said:

The Buffalo Bills need to win that is all that matters. Few remember injuries and second place woulda, coulda, shoulda let’s live on love with a tambourine in your hand at the airport like in a cult. Some Bills fans need to wake up Philadelphia Eagles are looking at another Super Bowl championship along with the Kansas City Chiefs. We don’t win anything in Bills land which is ridiculous and an embarrassment I have been a Bills fan for 48 years and counting of this nonsense. The Bills failed period whatever it takes keep both and actually do more fire the Bills whole coaching staff for failure is what I would do. I don’t want to hear about money that cheap bum Terry Pegula got $850 million dollars out of the taxpayers put a Super Bowl championship team on the field or sell the Buffalo Bills PSE. UB Bulls football won the Camellia Bowl and fired there offensive coordinator Shane Montgomery because he was incompetent and failed to win a MAC championship. Have standards Bills fans like we do in UB Bulls football land in my opinion. Go Bills! Go Bulls! Let’s Go Buffalo 

Kind of early to be drinking already, right?

• Haha (+1) 1

My only question to all of the "let Edmunds walk" people is this:

Middle linebacker is a pretty important position in the McDermott/Frazier defense. If they let Edmunds walk and, let's say, spend the money instead on the offensive line or a wide receiver...are you cool with them turning around and spending a 1st round pick on a linebacker? Because it sure seems like an important enough position to this coaching staff that they'd need to devote meaningful resources to finding a replacement.

While I can understand wanting to let Edmunds walk and to spend money elsewhere, it still leaves behind the question of: Who replaces Edmunds, and are you okay with the answer being "a premium draft pick"?

Edited by Logic

2 hours ago, DrDawkinstein said:

Just stop right there. No need to discuss further because the entire basis for this conversation is way off.

If, IF, you could get Tremaine to re-sign at $11M/year, you do that immediately because that is a half-off discount on the $20M/year he is actually going to sign for.

I want to know which "analyst" came up with that $11 number considering it would be a PAY CUT from what he made in 2022. And I dont ever recall a top Free Agent taking a pay cut when they hit the market.

Tremaine's real numbers are more like 4/$80M. And I'd still re-sign him over a FA OT.

Now, if you want to talk about a FA OG like Issac Seumalo or Ben Powers who will likely sign for far less the Edmunds or an OT, then I'm all for that discussion.

Agreed. Upgrades at the Guard spots will improve both the Interior line play AND our Tackle play.

Upgrading a Tackle will not have nearly as much bang for the buck.

My guess is that they got the 4 years, $44M contract estimate from Spotrac. They have it calculated as his market value. Obviously a player’s calculated value can be very different than the contract that player gets or that player’s asking price. 

If Edmunds was willing to sign for anything close to that contract it would’ve happened before last offseason leading into his $12.7M option year.

14 minutes ago, KOKBILLS said:

Obviously this is JMO...But I think we'd all be well advised to just assume the Bills are going to re-sign Edmunds. They see him as a cornerstone. The only thing standing in the way of that would be Tremaine and his folks asking for the moon. But I've felt for a while now his situation is VERY similar to Milano's. They both strongly prefer to stay in Buffalo. B-)

I fully expect the Bills to make the mistake of re-signing Edmunds to an egregiously large contract instead of using that cap space on the offense. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

2 hours ago, BuffaloRebound said:

If that’s the contract we could sign him for, I’d take Edmunds.  You’re not getting a significant upgrade in free agency at RT for $11m per year.  OL and WR’s get stupid money in free agency.  

He got almost 13 this year, no way he takes that money. someone will pay him at least 15.....4/60 at the very least, and that's the low side. Pittsburgh?

15 minutes ago, Logic said:

My only question to all of the "let Edmunds walk" people is this:

Middle linebacker is a pretty important position in the McDermott/Frazier defense. If they let Edmunds walk and, let's say, spend the money instead on the offensive line or a wide receiver...are you cool with them turning around and spending a 1st round pick on a linebacker? Because it sure seems like an important enough position to this coaching staff that they'd need to devote meaningful resources to finding a replacement.

While I can understand wanting to let Edmunds walk and to spend money elsewhere, it still leaves behind the question of: Who replaces Edmunds, and are you okay with the answer being "a premium draft pick"?

Get rid of the Frazier defense, keep Edmunds and move him to OLB where he belongs.  He’d be an excellent pass rusher and has great length and speed.  I’m not sure he’s been utilized to get the most out of him in this system.  

Trade some of our other higher value underperforming guys for draft picks.  It’s odd to be in a mini rebuild right now, but it seems to be the case.  Gonna need center/other o-line, safety, LB, maybe even another edge, WR amongst others.  

I like Edmunds. I think he’s young and would do better with a different DC who actually runs stunts and doesn’t expect their MLB’s to be the cushion until the defensive backfield picks up in the zone.  

I like Oliver but his production can be replicated for cheaper.   We grabbed Settle and DaQuan Jones this past offseason and we can grab others this year.  

Edited by Aurelius

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.