Would you resign Edmunds or a tackle?

78thealltimegreat

Interesting discussion from Joe on WGR this morning where according to analysts a 4 year deal is about 44 million for Tremaine which the Bills can definitely afford…

Or would you be ok with going after someone like a Mike McGlinchey in San Francisco who is roughly the same contract over 4 years and with other decisions in San Fran likely to hit the open market he would definitely solidify RT…but LB being a priority in the draft.

I like Tremaine but man I’d sleep a little easier not playing a rookie or Brown on Josh’s other side. 

Edited by 78thealltimegreat
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Disagree 1
  • Agree 3
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Dislike 3

1 minute ago, 78thealltimegreat said:

Interesting discussion from Joe this morning where according to analysts a 4 year deal is about 44 million for Tremaine which the Bills can definitely afford…

Or would you be ok with going after someone like a Mike McGlinchey in San Francisco who is roughly the same contract over 4 years and with other decisions in San Fran likely to hit the open market he would definitely solidify RT…but LB being a priority in the draft.

I like Tremaine but man I’d sleep a little easier not playing a rookie or Brown on Josh’s other side. 

If that’s the contract we could sign him for, I’d take Edmunds.  You’re not getting a significant upgrade in free agency at RT for $11m per year.  OL and WR’s get stupid money in free agency.  

• Agree 11

I would go OL at this point. A strong OL will allow Josh to have time in the pocket to find open receivers. A strong OL will mean a better running game with the running backs doing the running instead of #17. Allen running for his life and taking too many hits needs to stop since he is the franchise of the Bills.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 4
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Edmunds is likely gone...someone is going to pay WELL above $11 million a year for him and the franchise tag is $20.9 million, so that isn't a realistic option either. Only hope is if he pulls a Milano and takes less to stay...he openly said how much he loves it here, how he loves the team, the coaches and the locker room...I guess we will see just how much. Perhaps a 6 or 7 year deal that gives him more in guarantees but helps save some money? Trade longer term and more guarantees for less overall money?

Edited by Big Turk
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

18 minutes ago, 78thealltimegreat said:

Interesting discussion from Joe on WGR this morning where according to analysts a 4 year deal is about 44 million for Tremaine

Just stop right there. No need to discuss further because the entire basis for this conversation is way off.

If, IF, you could get Tremaine to re-sign at $11M/year, you do that immediately because that is a half-off discount on the $20M/year he is actually going to sign for.

I want to know which "analyst" came up with that $11 number considering it would be a PAY CUT from what he made in 2022. And I dont ever recall a top Free Agent taking a pay cut when they hit the market.

Tremaine's real numbers are more like 4/$80M. And I'd still re-sign him over a FA OT.

Now, if you want to talk about a FA OG like Issac Seumalo or Ben Powers who will likely sign for far less the Edmunds or an OT, then I'm all for that discussion.

7 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

I'm more concerned with the interior of our line.  I would rather our weak point of the OL be the RT and not the interior.

Agreed. Upgrades at the Guard spots will improve both the Interior line play AND our Tackle play.

Upgrading a Tackle will not have nearly as much bang for the buck.

• Like (+1) 4
  • Agree 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

If we can sign an upgrade at Tackle in FA, it's a no-brainer (well, I say that knowing full well what we'll probably do).  

You sign the Tackle.  We draft late in RD1, late in RD2.. etc.  Legit starting Tackles out the gate aren't just there for the taking in the late 20's.  

We can get a LB to put next to Milano on Day 1 or Day 2.

Chiefs drafted Nick Bolton late *RD2.

Edited by SCBills
  • Agree 1

44 minutes ago, 78thealltimegreat said:

Interesting discussion from Joe on WGR this morning where according to analysts a 4 year deal is about 44 million for Tremaine which the Bills can definitely afford…

Why not both?  Bills can easily take on 2-4 10M plus AAV contracts.  All about structure. 

This DO NOT need to be one or the other discussions

Let me show that. 

Terron Armstead signed a 75M contract, AAV 15M, 2022 cap hit 3.9M

Von Miller signed 120M contact AAV 20M, 2022 cap hit 5.1M

Two top Paid UFAs coasting 9M against the 2022 cap.

Another proof.  Let me build you a UFA OL.

LT - Dawkins (not going anywhere)

LG - Brandon Scherff (as comparison top paid OG UFA 2022) - 7.6M cap Hit

C - Morse isnt going anywhere

RG - Laken Tomlinson (second highest paid OG in 2022) - 5.3M cap Hit

RT - Terron Armstead (highest paid Tackle) - 5.1M cap hit.

3 New OL (with the top paid in last years UFA) - added year one cap hit 13M 

Edited by MAJBobby
  • Like (+1) 4
  • Thank you (+1) 3

If the choice is to re-sign Edmunds to a multi-year contract OR use that money+ toward an impact free agent OT (not McGlinchey), then the easy answer is OT. That would also free up a draft pick for another LB (in this scenario, likely a 2nd or 3rd round pick).

• Thank you (+1) 1

29 minutes ago, SCBills said:

If we can sign an upgrade at Tackle in FA, it's a no-brainer (well, I say that knowing full well what we'll probably do).  

You sign the Tackle.  We draft late in RD1, late in RD2.. etc.  Legit starting Tackles out the gate aren't just there for the taking in the late 20's.  

We can get a LB to put next to Milano on Day 1 or Day 2.

Chiefs drafted Nick Bolton late RD1.

Late RD2 you mean. He went 2 picks before Basham. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, JayBaller10 said:

Late RD2 you mean. He went 2 picks before Basham. 

Gross.. For some reason I thought he was Rd1.  You're right.  

And therein lies the difference, in a nutshell, between the personnel on KC and on BUF.  They get Bolton.  2 picks later we take a JAG DE.

I'd like to see them re-sign Edmunds, and for him to be the ONLY guy they commit money to on defense this year.

I would then like them to devote almost all remaining resources -- draft and free agency -- to bolstering the offense.

As easy as it seems to say "let all the defensive guys go, put that money into the offense instead", the real truth is that letting the defensive guys go creates new holes that this front office and coaching staff will need to fill. If they don't re-sign Edmunds, you can bet they're going to have to commit high draft capital to a replacement.

So re-sign Edmunds. He's your defensive captain. He's coming off his best season. He's just 24 years old. We saw the dropoff when he wasn't in the lineup this year.

But after that, put all your picks and dollars into the offense. That would be my preference.

• Like (+1) 4
  • Agree 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.