Backup Quarterback

Yantha

On 1/31/2023 at 10:52 AM, buffalobillswin said:

Teddy Bridgewater would be a great backup although he made 6.5 million this year. Doubt he takes a 5 million dollar pay cut. 

Mr Brittle? Sure, he can ride the IR in Buffalo just as well as anywhere else.

On 1/31/2023 at 9:21 AM, VaMilBill said:

Honestly, I don’t really think we should waste too many assets or resources on backup QB. If Josh is hurt, we are probably going to lose based on how poor our defense plays when the game is close (which it will be with a backup in). We also don’t have a good running game so all the pressure will be on the backup. Dorsey won’t do any favors for that backup. 

what I’m basically saying is if Josh is out, we will probably lose so why waste resources on a backup when we have more pressing needs. We need to devote resources that can help Josh, not potentially fill in for him. 

See that's the thing...if we get a legit O-Line and a receiving corp with legit weapons other than Diggs there's no reason we shouldn't expect a backup to be able to have success with those weapons too.  The fact we see no hope of winning if Josh is out just shows how much those areas really are lacking and how much Josh carries this offense.  

Edited by Billz4ever

On 1/31/2023 at 9:38 AM, Mango said:

Gardner Minshew, Jacoby Brissett, and Chad Henne are interesting to me. I have always been high on Heinike for this team. 

Allen has asked for and received Beasley, Brown, and Barkley by name. I would not be shocked to see Kyle Allen in house based on the same logic. Honorable mention to Darnold but I don't know if we can afford that one. 

Gardner Minshew II should be the target if we can't get Brock Purdy.

• 3 weeks later...

Just bumping this topic now that Carson Wentz was released by the Commanders.

I'm not sure if Wentz believes he's starting material still but his options are becoming limited I think.  At this stage, he may consider a lesser contract just to stay in the NFL, and I don't think that many here would argue he's an upgrade to Case Keenum.

Knock 

on

Wood

that nothing ever happens to Allen.... but we need a better backup.

Edited by Yantha
  • Vomit 1

On 1/31/2023 at 9:29 PM, Victory Formation said:

If Allen gets injured? Give me the worst QB on the planet so we finish in the top 10. We’re not winning a Super Bowl without Allen anyhow.

I believe this is the best answer.

12 hours ago, UConn James said:

I wouldn’t be averse to throwing a late round pick at Max Duggan from TCU. Smaller in stature but a similar playing style to Josh.

I think I like this idea, if its very late.  He willed that team to more victories than they deserved while he was the QB.

• Like (+1) 1

7 hours ago, philholbroo said:

No one for Chase Daniel? Best backup qb career.

He's turning 37 this season.

I'd like to see a 25-29 year old guy who has the chance to be the backup for a number of years. 

Kyle Allen and Mike White type of guys who are willing to become that long-term backup on a good team.

Stability at the position.

If they have a guy like that, the 3rd string can be UDFA types for the PS and you might get lucky.

14 hours ago, Yantha said:

Just bumping this topic now that Carson Wentz was released by the Commanders.

I'm not sure if Wentz believes he's starting material still but his options are becoming limited I think.  At this stage, he may consider a lesser contract just to stay in the NFL, and I don't think that many here would argue he's an upgrade to Case Keenum.

Knock 

on

Wood

that nothing ever happens to Allen.... but we need a better backup.

No way he's an upgrade to Keenum.

On 1/31/2023 at 9:29 PM, Victory Formation said:

If Allen gets injured? Give me the worst QB on the planet so we finish in the top 10. We’re not winning a Super Bowl without Allen anyhow.

Worked out well for the Colts! Peyton hurts his neck, Curtis Painter went in, they got Andrew Luck 

On 2/6/2023 at 2:29 PM, TheyCallMeAndy said:

I think I’m all in on Tyler Huntley, he’s looked good in spot duty and is a great athlete as well. 

0% chance that Huntley, coming off a pro bowl, is going to want to sign with a team with 0% chance to place outside of injury.  Everyone can cross Huntley off any list for the Bills because he is not coming here. 

I am not saying Huntley is a high quality starter, because he is not, he was a pro bowler in the way Tyrod was in Buffalo.  But...Huntley is going to believe he can be and at the very least want a place he can compete to start if he doesn't find someone who is willing to sign him outright as the starter.  None of those things are happening in Buffalo behind Allen.  

15 minutes ago, ColoradoBills said:

He's turning 37 this season.

I'd like to see a 25-29 year old guy who has the chance to be the backup for a number of years. 

Kyle Allen and Mike White type of guys who are willing to become that long-term backup on a good team.

Stability at the position.

If they have a guy like that, the 3rd string can be UDFA types for the PS and you might get lucky.

I'm pretty sure Chase retired after the Super Bowl. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.