Backup Quarterback

Yantha

9 hours ago, VaMilBill said:

Honestly, I don’t really think we should waste too many assets or resources on backup QB. If Josh is hurt, we are probably going to lose based on how poor our defense plays when the game is close (which it will be with a backup in). We also don’t have a good running game so all the pressure will be on the backup. Dorsey won’t do any favors for that backup. 

what I’m basically saying is if Josh is out, we will probably lose so why waste resources on a backup when we have more pressing needs. We need to devote resources that can help Josh, not potentially fill in for him. 

7 hours ago, strive_for_five_guy said:

Am I crazy to just say spend the money elsewhere on offense (OL, WR) first?  If Allen goes down for any considerable amount of time, is this team a SB contender anyway?  Isn’t there less of a chance of Allen getting injured to begin with, if he has a solid OL around him and weapons to throw to?

So SF loses QB1 and QB2 and doesn't lose a beat. Why can't Buffalo do the same if disaster strikes?

11 hours ago, Yantha said:

God forbid Allen gets injured.

How should we address a longer term solution for backup QB?

Draft?  If so, do you see any later round gems?

FA?  If so, which QB would upgrade Keenum for a reasonable price.

The long term solution for most teams who have an established #1 is sign a reasonable priced experienced QB who's no longer getting any contract offers to be starter.  Bills should follow suit.

I read one lime the backup QB typically gets about a half dozen snaps with the starting offense each week.  So to me drafting a QB for backup makes little sense as he basically will never have got much of any experience. 

For those you sign a vet.  Teams that don't have an entrenched starter, it's different, then a rookie backup is OK when not 100% sold on starter.

5 minutes ago, Estro said:

Mitch Tribusky will likely be a FA. Maybe he'll come back for $2.5M

I just read an article on MSN that Mahomes' father said Chicago had told Mahomes they were going to draft him.  Then Ryan Pace decided to trade up for Trubiski.  Another reaaon for Chicago fans to further detest Pace.  I guess a few of us in the AFC can echo those sentiments.

12 hours ago, Mango said:

Gardner Minshew, Jacoby Brissett, and Chad Henne are interesting to me. I have always been high on Heinike for this team. 

Allen has asked for and received Beasley, Brown, and Barkley by name. I would not be shocked to see Kyle Allen in house based on the same logic. Honorable mention to Darnold but I don't know if we can afford that one. 

I have expected the Bills to look into him eventually, given his personal relationship with JA17 and relative affordability combined with decent traits for a backup. 

• Like (+1) 2

Thanks for all the opinions.  I for one would lean to the FA and get a solid backup as opposed to rolling the dice on a mid round draft pick.

We have to do better than what we have though, and I disagree with the sentiment that we're toast without Allen.  That shouldn't be the goal for next season.  Take steps to take some of that pressure off of one man next season.

I like the Trubisky idea.

On 1/31/2023 at 8:31 AM, Yantha said:

God forbid Allen gets injured.

How should we address a longer term solution for backup QB?

Draft?  If so, do you see any later round gems?

FA?  If so, which QB would upgrade Keenum for a reasonable price.

I don't think a high dollar back up like Keenum is the answer if you look at what the Niners got this year with Purdy, then there was Cooper Rush, Taylor Heineke didn't do bad Typer Huntley is going to the pro bowl so this type of player may be a way to go but the Bills only because they don't have a lot of extra money laying around to play with .

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.