Backup Quarterback

Yantha

11 minutes ago, Ya Digg? said:

Worked out well for the Colts! Peyton hurts his neck, Curtis Painter went in, they got Andrew Luck 

At the time, it seemed like the right decision to move on from Peyton, who was an unknown commodity following his neck surgery, and draft "the next Peyton Manning."

In hindsight, however, it didn't work out all that well for the Colts. Peyton went to Denver and won another SB, while the Colts didn't win big with Luck. In retrospect, they'd have been better off keeping Peyton and either trading the #1 pick for more picks that they could use to bolster their O-line or drafting Luck and trading him to a QB-needy team.

On 1/31/2023 at 8:31 AM, Yantha said:

God forbid Allen gets injured.

How should we address a longer term solution for backup QB?

Draft?  If so, do you see any later round gems?

FA?  If so, which QB would upgrade Keenum for a reasonable price.

Have them talk Fitz out of retirement he can still sling it ...

• Thank you (+1) 1

16 hours ago, ColoradoBills said:

He's turning 37 this season.

I'd like to see a 25-29 year old guy who has the chance to be the backup for a number of years. 

Kyle Allen and Mike White type of guys who are willing to become that long-term backup on a good team.

Stability at the position.

If they have a guy like that, the 3rd string can be UDFA types for the PS and you might get lucky.

I've been wanting Kyle Allen for a couple years now. I think he would fit nicely in if needed. He would be one of my top choices. Wasn't serious about Chase, I was just surprised no one had mentioned him yet. He had a great career (money and health wise).

• Like (+1) 1

Pull out all the stops!  Get Kirk Cousins in here, now!  Just bring back Tanner Gentry to act as Allen's food tester and shower mat guard.  I don't know if 'Iago' Cousins could be trusted as the #2.

(I have copyright protection for a 'YOU LIKE THAT?!' T-shirt in red and blue.) 🙄

Yeah, I'm not sure this matters. God forbid there is an unfortunate situation, this team has no chance to compete without #17. Then you play for the #1 pick at that point and look forward to the following year. 

In reality, maybe Keenum, or Barkley, or Trubisky, or Kyle Allen or something like that. But see? Does it matter? 

On 1/31/2023 at 10:21 AM, VaMilBill said:

Honestly, I don’t really think we should waste too many assets or resources on backup QB. If Josh is hurt, we are probably going to lose based on how poor our defense plays when the game is close (which it will be with a backup in). We also don’t have a good running game so all the pressure will be on the backup. Dorsey won’t do any favors for that backup. 

what I’m basically saying is if Josh is out, we will probably lose so why waste resources on a backup when we have more pressing needs. We need to devote resources that can help Josh, not potentially fill in for him. 

This is the silliest take ever. Straight silly bro. Give me a break. 

Seems we would want a back up with experience but a playing style thats at least similar to allen. if not one is trying to change the entire playbook, game plan for a QB with different skilll sets.

I mean we know Allen is a Unicorn.

but maybe a big armed, mobile QB.

Edited by Chris farley
  • Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Chris farley said:

Seems we would want a back up with experience but a playing style thats at least similar to allen. if not one is trying to change the entire playbook, game plan for a QB with different skilll sets.

I mean we know Allen is a Unicorn.

but maybe a big armed, mobile QB.

Sam Darnold makes a ton of sense. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, MrEpsYtown said:

Yeah, I'm not sure this matters. God forbid there is an unfortunate situation, this team has no chance to compete without #17. Then you play for the #1 pick at that point and look forward to the following year. 

In reality, maybe Keenum, or Barkley, or Trubisky, or Kyle Allen or something like that. But see? Does it matter? 

Yes it matters. If Allen gets hurt you want a capable backup to hold down the fort until Allen returns. Who that guy is I couldn't tell you. Maybe it's Keenum. 

• Like (+1) 1

17 hours ago, HOUSE said:

He has a suitcase full off money :thumbsup:

I had to return to comment on this, well done. 

2 hours ago, DCofNC said:

It’s going to be somebody on the cheap, be it Barkley, or a return of Keenum, but resources can’t be spent on a back up with all the holes on this team.

Barkley likely will return as PS/3rd stringer since is cheap and a QB Josh must like in the room. Keenum's under disguise were fun and like him back but have to be cheaper yet he's getting up there in age. 

18 hours ago, HOUSE said:

He has a suitcase full off money :thumbsup:

Don’t be jealous…

On 1/31/2023 at 9:38 AM, Mango said:

Gardner Minshew, Jacoby Brissett, and Chad Henne are interesting to me. I have always been high on Heinike for this team. 

Allen has asked for and received Beasley, Brown, and Barkley by name. I would not be shocked to see Kyle Allen in house based on the same logic. Honorable mention to Darnold but I don't know if we can afford that one. 

Well we need to stop Allen from doing that then. Because Barkley sucks (nice guy). Same thing with Kyle allen. This team should be good enough where a backup can step in for a game or 2. The Eagles won a SB wirh a backup. It shouldn’t be taken lightly. 

henne sucks and was never good. He would have killed KC if he had to play. I liked Minshew but he wasn’t that good this year and was responsible for 2 of their 3 losses. I thought Brissett played really well. He also sounds like a great lockerroom guy. He also asked if the sun is so hot, why is space cold which blew my mind!

• Like (+1) 1

22 minutes ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

Well we need to stop Allen from doing that then. Because Barkley sucks (nice guy). Same thing with Kyle allen. This team should be good enough where a backup can step in for a game or 2. The Eagles won a SB wirh a backup. It shouldn’t be taken lightly. 

henne sucks and was never good. He would have killed KC if he had to play. I liked Minshew but he wasn’t that good this year and was responsible for 2 of their 3 losses. I thought Brissett played really well. He also sounds like a great lockerroom guy. He also asked if the sun is so hot, why is space cold which blew my mind!

Henne has looked just fine in the opportunities he’s gotten.  People thought KC was going to lose when Maholmes went out, they still scored w Henne out there.   He’s not a starter, but he’s a pretty good back-up.

Brissett is an outstanding back-up to a very low end starter.  I’d love to have him, but he should get paid very well.  I could see him going to Carolina as a bridge/back-up, similar deal to Trubiski last year.   I don’t feel like the Bills can afford to go for the high end guy, Keenum is as good as you can hope for and that’s really a stretch, he should be worth 4-5M in the open market.  The guy that really puzzles me is Bortles, who says he’s retired, but that would be the perfect back-up to JA, very similar skill sets, obviously at a different level of execution, but you could plug him in and not change anything, unlike Keenum.

56 minutes ago, DCofNC said:

Henne has looked just fine in the opportunities he’s gotten.  People thought KC was going to lose when Maholmes went out, they still scored w Henne out there.   He’s not a starter, but he’s a pretty good back-up.

Brissett is an outstanding back-up to a very low end starter.  I’d love to have him, but he should get paid very well.  I could see him going to Carolina as a bridge/back-up, similar deal to Trubiski last year.   I don’t feel like the Bills can afford to go for the high end guy, Keenum is as good as you can hope for and that’s really a stretch, he should be worth 4-5M in the open market.  The guy that really puzzles me is Bortles, who says he’s retired, but that would be the perfect back-up to JA, very similar skill sets, obviously at a different level of execution, but you could plug him in and not change anything, unlike Keenum.

He played a drive where they ran the ball for most of it. Henne had more career ints than tds. He was one of the worst backups in the league.

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/H/HennCh01.htm

I think he also retired. But he is was bad but good for him for being a good guy and getting a nice check.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.