Backup Quarterback

Yantha

Gardner Minshew, Jacoby Brissett, and Chad Henne are interesting to me. I have always been high on Heinike for this team. 

Allen has asked for and received Beasley, Brown, and Barkley by name. I would not be shocked to see Kyle Allen in house based on the same logic. Honorable mention to Darnold but I don't know if we can afford that one. 

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 1

Honestly, I don’t really think we should waste too many assets or resources on backup QB. If Josh is hurt, we are probably going to lose based on how poor our defense plays when the game is close (which it will be with a backup in). We also don’t have a good running game so all the pressure will be on the backup. Dorsey won’t do any favors for that backup. 

what I’m basically saying is if Josh is out, we will probably lose so why waste resources on a backup when we have more pressing needs. We need to devote resources that can help Josh, not potentially fill in for him. 

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 10
  • Dislike 1

37 minutes ago, The Jokeman said:

Taylor Heinicke would be a nice pick up.

There’s so many QB needy teams that I assume he’ll get decent money somewhere. Bills will need to find another re-set guy with upside (like Trubisky) or settle for the scrap heap. They better not waste a 5th round pick in another trade for their backup QB!

3 hours ago, strive_for_five_guy said:

Am I crazy to just say spend the money elsewhere on offense (OL, WR) first?  If Allen goes down for any considerable amount of time, is this team a SB contender anyway?  Isn’t there less of a chance of Allen getting injured to begin with, if he has a solid OL around him and weapons to throw to?

Ding ding ding, we have a winner!!! Congratulation, you win the common sense award. 

100% agree. The best investment is in paying for the players that best help and protect your 250 million dollar quarterback. They should be doing everything they can to keep JA upright and in the pocket throwing dimes when he isn't handing it off. If this team expects to get any longevity out of Josh, they need to stop putting the whole damn team on his and Diggs shoulders and expecting him to take hits on QB RPO plays or having to throw the ball 35+ times a game. Give the guy a run game and a legit #2 receiver to go with Beasley (or someone else with great hands) in the slot. They do that, and I could see JA lasting 15+ years. If they don't, he'll be lucky to last 10. His body won't be able to withstand the beatings his body will take any longer than 10. 

1 hour ago, BigPappy said:

Ding ding ding, we have a winner!!! Congratulation, you win the common sense award. 

100% agree. The best investment is in paying for the players that best help and protect your 250 million dollar quarterback. They should be doing everything they can to keep JA upright and in the pocket throwing dimes when he isn't handing it off. If this team expects to get any longevity out of Josh, they need to stop putting the whole damn team on his and Diggs shoulders and expecting him to take hits on QB RPO plays or having to throw the ball 35+ times a game. Give the guy a run game and a legit #2 receiver to go with Beasley (or someone else with great hands) in the slot. They do that, and I could see JA lasting 15+ years. If they don't, he'll be lucky to last 10. His body won't be able to withstand the beatings his body will take any longer than 10. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.