Chiefs Draft 2022

chef4131

On 1/31/2023 at 6:00 AM, chef4131 said:

Chiefs again playing in the SB is a credit to their organization besides having Mahommes, the Chiefs certainly received great value from their 2022 draft class.  Having rookie production certainly helps balance paying high salaries to top talented players  

#Chiefs 2022 draft

1st rd T McDuffie - starter

1st rd G. Karlaftis - starter 2nd rd B Cook - nickel SAF

2nd rd S Moore - 4th/5th WR & PR

4th rd J Williams - starter

7th rd J Watson - starter

7th rd I Pacheco - starter

12 selections currently in ‘23 draft

As a Bills fan, this makes me SMH.  As a Chiefs fan, you've got to love this.

They've got twice as many picks as we do this year and are sitting in a much better position with the cap too.

When you're the Bills chasing this team, things like this make it very difficult to close the gap.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2

On 1/31/2023 at 8:00 AM, chef4131 said:

Chiefs again playing in the SB is a credit to their organization besides having Mahommes, the Chiefs certainly received great value from their 2022 draft class.  Having rookie production certainly helps balance paying high salaries to top talented players  

#Chiefs 2022 draft

1st rd T McDuffie - starter

1st rd G. Karlaftis - starter 2nd rd B Cook - nickel SAF

2nd rd S Moore - 4th/5th WR & PR

4th rd J Williams - starter

7th rd J Watson - starter

7th rd I Pacheco - starter

12 selections currently in ‘23 draft

Jobs are earned on the field and not in practice. 

1 hour ago, st pete gogolak said:

Wake me up when Cook breaks a tackle.  

I wonder if the team is going to ask him to put on some weight in the offseason. With ten more pounds of muscle, he should be able to start breaking some tackles. 

1 minute ago, wppete said:

There is a reason they didn’t get a chance to play. Not good enough. Pretty simple. 

Eh. Okay. Maybe if Hodgins didn't just go to another team and have a handful of good to decent games I'd agree. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2

the 2022 chiefs is the worst chiefs team of the next three years. the bills need to give strong consideration to trading diggs. i know it sounds crazy, and probably is crazy, but i'm very skeptical of them being able to build a good enough roster to overtake the chiefs given the current roster/cap/pick situation of both teams. 

Edited by beebe
  • Agree 2

5 minutes ago, atlbillsfan1975 said:

Bills beat them 2 out of the last 3 times. The only loss didn’t have as much to do w/talent as it did coaching.

Lets see what happens in the SB before we drown the Chiefs as the gold standard for player personnel. 

the bills approach the regular season very differently than KC. the chiefs are very willing to throw rookies into the fire if it means they'll be better in january than going all in with veterans in september/october. i do think the bills (when fully healthy) had a better overall roster than the chiefs this year. but that was largely due to having such a veteran defense (led by guys like poyer, hyde, miller) whereas the chiefs were giving big playing time to a collection of six or seven rookies. 

going forward, that changes a bit. the chiefs' rookies will take another step next year and they'll be able to pursue some quality free agents, on top of having another dozen draft picks (of which they will hope to hit on 4-5 of them); whereas the bills are likely to say goodbye to a few key veterans and perhaps won't have a ton of wiggle room to replace them. 

Edited by beebe
  • Agree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

13 minutes ago, Bandito said:

I am with you, but do you really think the Pegulas fire either of them? I highly doubt it as long as we are competitive 

They are on the backside of a mountain nobody wants to ride. McDermott's stature crested when Allen hit Davis to go ahead with 13 seconds to go. Since that game, up until the playoff demise this year, it has been a barely noticeable descent. But that game certainly took a chunk out of it. Maybe Pegula is willing to chalk that game up to all the excuses that many players and coaches vomited post-game. Not sure I would be quite so generous if it were me. Hamlin had made such great strides, to have the team be anything but hyper-motivated on demolishing Cincinnati is just insane. 2023 has started off utterly sh*tty for the Bills.

I love the players and the coaching staff, but that is the kind of embarrassment that should never happen, whether snow, near-death, whatever. When you have fans enduring much of the same stressors as you, all the while ponying up big dollars to fund you sleepwalking through what could be the last time you get a sniff of the playoffs? Melodramatic? Yes. Unlikely? Yes. But you never know. I feel for Diggs.

Maybe the character/moxie/culture of this team isn't quite as optimal as everyone gives McDermott credit for...

Edited by pocoboy
  • Agree 2

1 minute ago, Bandito said:

I agree. I can't imagine this staff being fired anytime soon. Maybe lower tiered coach, but definitely not someone at the top

Definitely. Just look at the Titans. From AFC Title game to losers in a two year span.

That's something McDermott should have plastered on the wall on cleanout day. But he looks about as maudlin and chumped out as everyone else.

Hopefully McDermott invests in some counseling. As he went, so the team went. When they showed him on the sidelines vs Miami he looked like he knew he was overmatched on the sidelines. They didn't show him much vs Cincy from what I remember, it was all a blur.

On 1/31/2023 at 7:55 AM, Zerovoltz said:

If KC hadn't nailed the 22 draft, we wouldn't be in the SB.

This was supposed to be a reset year.  Alot of KC twitter and talking heads are clammoring right now about some of the preseason predictions of KC missing playoffs or barely making wild card, not winning division...but if we (KC fans) are being honest, those people weren't just basing that on nothing.

KC traded Tyreek Hill

Lost CB Charvarious Ward in FA (started all year for SF, played very well)

Lost S Tyrann Mathieu (was making too many business decisions his last year, but still good)

Lodt DT Jarran Reed (starter, didn't live up to expectations in KC anyhow)

Lost EDGE Melvin Ingram 

Lost MLB Anthony Hitchens (I say lost here, but he sucked, but was the starter at MLB)

Lost RB Darrell Williams (was teams leading rusher in '21 and led in Rushing TD with 6)

Lost CB Mike Hughes (started 6 games)

Lost S Dan Sorenson (another who I say lost, but was glad to see go)

Lost WR Byron Pringle (3rd on team with 5 TD catches 5th in recptons with 42)

Everyone talks about losing Tyreek but KC churned the roster A LOT.

It's understandable to think a team losing this much starting experience and production, would struggle.

It's also notable KC nailed the draft in 21 also.  Traded the 1 for Orlando Brown (who isn't that good, but he's better than what KC had heading into 2021, wich was nothing at all at OT)

2nd Creed Humphrey - All Pro Center

6th Trey Smith - Starting guard

2nd NIck Bolton - Starting LB (and is good)

5th Noah Gray - solid contributor at TE 

KC also got 2 key starters from 2020 -

2nd LB Willie Gay

4th CB LaJarious Snead

10 high quality, CHEAP, starters from the last 3 drafts, but the 2022 draft is the hallmark.

On top of this, KC did NOT restructure Mahomes this year to kick money down the road, they ate the entire 36 mil cap, which only helps later on.

That's how you stay on top when your QB cap hits start getting big.  KC's FA signings have been decent also.  

I'm not bragging.  I am posting this to demonstrate that the Bills are going to need to do better drafting as Allens cap hits now start to take up a big chunk.

mention KC drafting Creed Humphry on here again and I hope the mods ban you for life...../s/

3 hours ago, beebe said:

the bills approach the regular season very differently than KC. the chiefs are very willing to throw rookies into the fire if it means they'll be better in january than going all in with veterans in september/october. i do think the bills (when fully healthy) had a better overall roster than the chiefs this year. but that was largely due to having such a veteran defense (led by guys like poyer, hyde, miller) whereas the chiefs were giving big playing time to a collection of six or seven rookies. 

going forward, that changes a bit. the chiefs' rookies will take another step next year and they'll be able to pursue some quality free agents, on top of having another dozen draft picks (of which they will hope to hit on 4-5 of them); whereas the bills are likely to say goodbye to a few key veterans and perhaps won't have a ton of wiggle room to replace them. 

the Bills inability to play rookies who are better than starters is maddening.  McD/Dorsey can't evaluate talent in a draft or on the field.  Shakir is clearly better than McKenzie, but never played until playoff time.  Hodkins going to NYG and instantly contributing.  

• Agree 1

3 hours ago, beebe said:

This is probably because their division is a joke. They basically get an extra 6 bye weeks because of this, whereas the Bills need to be constantly on their A game to win the division. 

• Haha (+1) 1

12 hours ago, st pete gogolak said:

Pacheo >>>>>Cook.  I don't follow college ball but how in the world did this guy last until the 7th round?  If we had drafted him, there wouldn't be any issue regarding running back going into next season.  He's fast, powerful and breaks tackles.  Wake me up when Cook breaks a tackle.  

Breaking tackles involves more than running through them. Cook breaks tackles, but he does it differently. 

9 hours ago, Bandito said:

I am with you, but do you really think the Pegulas fire either of them? I highly doubt it as long as we are competitive 

I would certainly hope so, depending on how the future plays out.

Are you suggesting McDermott is here forever, based on what he's done so far?

God, I hope not.

Unless he starts winning championships, or shows that we are close.

We've regressed the last 2 seasons and next year is going to be a bit worse.

8 hours ago, Boatdrinks said:

He wasn’t a rookie. Just a guy who was always injured and didn’t show much as a result. 

Sure, and what you're saying makes it worse. They had multiple years to see the talent in this guy and they even had him on the field where he produced with limited reps, and they still got rid of him. 

the McD coaching staff is awful at making depth chart changes. Maybe comically bad.  The poor use of our rookies isn't because we just draft bad. It's because we don't give them the chance to develop in real game scenarios.  

• Like (+1) 1

On 1/31/2023 at 7:58 AM, billieve420 said:

McDermott tends to stick with the Vets far longer than he should. Thought Elam and Shakir should have played more than they did. This team brings their younger players along too slowly for my liking. Reps are the only way they are going to improve so should be playing their younger players that show promise.

I agree he is over conservative, but maybe part of it is that the rookies just aren’t very good.  This year, had to fit Elam in who’s a man cover guy into a zone scheme.  Cook wasn’t even a starter in college.  Bernard.. should have been UDFA, has absolutely zero NFL traits… etc.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.