Chiefs Draft 2022

chef4131

15 hours ago, Zerovoltz said:

If KC hadn't nailed the 22 draft, we wouldn't be in the SB.

This was supposed to be a reset year.  Alot of KC twitter and talking heads are clammoring right now about some of the preseason predictions of KC missing playoffs or barely making wild card, not winning division...but if we (KC fans) are being honest, those people weren't just basing that on nothing.

KC traded Tyreek Hill

Lost CB Charvarious Ward in FA (started all year for SF, played very well)

Lost S Tyrann Mathieu (was making too many business decisions his last year, but still good)

Lodt DT Jarran Reed (starter, didn't live up to expectations in KC anyhow)

Lost EDGE Melvin Ingram 

Lost MLB Anthony Hitchens (I say lost here, but he sucked, but was the starter at MLB)

Lost RB Darrell Williams (was teams leading rusher in '21 and led in Rushing TD with 6)

Lost CB Mike Hughes (started 6 games)

Lost S Dan Sorenson (another who I say lost, but was glad to see go)

Lost WR Byron Pringle (3rd on team with 5 TD catches 5th in recptons with 42)

Everyone talks about losing Tyreek but KC churned the roster A LOT.

It's understandable to think a team losing this much starting experience and production, would struggle.

It's also notable KC nailed the draft in 21 also.  Traded the 1 for Orlando Brown (who isn't that good, but he's better than what KC had heading into 2021, wich was nothing at all at OT)

2nd Creed Humphrey - All Pro Center

6th Trey Smith - Starting guard

2nd NIck Bolton - Starting LB (and is good)

5th Noah Gray - solid contributor at TE 

KC also got 2 key starters from 2020 -

2nd LB Willie Gay

4th CB LaJarious Snead

10 high quality, CHEAP, starters from the last 3 drafts, but the 2022 draft is the hallmark.

On top of this, KC did NOT restructure Mahomes this year to kick money down the road, they ate the entire 36 mil cap, which only helps later on.

That's how you stay on top when your QB cap hits start getting big.  KC's FA signings have been decent also.  

I'm not bragging.  I am posting this to demonstrate that the Bills are going to need to do better drafting as Allens cap hits now start to take up a big chunk.

Yep.  Their last 3 drafts have helped significantly.  

They were absolutely not the most talented group on paper in that division and I didn’t think they could win it let alone get this far 

However - we underestimated how big a deal coaching is.  And they got a huge assist by 3 morons getting hired in that division.  

The Chargers being decimated by injury again didn’t help.   

8 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

That just feels so random to me. It is inconsistent with the way this team has operated. They don't start a lot of rookies (although Tre and Groot were "off the bus" guys) and they have had them backup (Oliver and Milano) or even inactive (AJE) early but I can't think if a single other case where they have had a guy play some, active always and then a random one off inactive mid season to start a washed practice squad player. 

I can believe Erik has sources but that just feels off to me. There has to be something else going on. 

Taron Johnson? 

Got benched going into the Tennessee game in 2021, but then reinserted when Cam Lewis got hurt early in that game, and never looked back...

14 hours ago, Zerovoltz said:

Good morning to you to.

I didn't start the topic, just adding some information in here in the spirit of what the OP is saying. 

Don’t mind the homers, most realist fans understand that Beane has been terrible outside of Josh Allen. You guys have drafted very well. As long as we have Josh Allen though, we always have a chance against KC. If we can close the gap with some good drafts over the next few years, we will be just as good and super bowl appearances will be obtainable. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Disagree 1
  • Agree 2

38 minutes ago, transplantbillsfan said:

They got Pacheko in the 7th round????

Criminal.

Yes, he's supplied for a "finesse" offense a valuable, physical spark that fans should appreciate, but his short-striding, violent, stompy gait probably maxes out close to what we've seen this season already. Which is a fun, physical, fairly effective style. While the runner is explosively healthy.  

At the same time, with sparser usage, especially early in the season, James Cook has flashed 0.8 ypc MORE productivity, yet is far less acknowledged, possibly due to draft status (and lineage/expectation). 

• Like (+1) 1

17 hours ago, chef4131 said:

Chiefs again playing in the SB is a credit to their organization besides having Mahommes, the Chiefs certainly received great value from their 2022 draft class.  Having rookie production certainly helps balance paying high salaries to top talented players  

#Chiefs 2022 draft

1st rd T McDuffie - starter

1st rd G. Karlaftis - starter 2nd rd B Cook - nickel SAF

2nd rd S Moore - 4th/5th WR & PR

4th rd J Williams - starter

7th rd J Watson - starter

7th rd I Pacheco - starter

12 selections currently in ‘23 draft

And if they had Zach Wilson as their qb, they would be really bad. Great qbs makes every draft better. They passed on Tee Higgins for CHE.

side note, as much as I like Burrow, maybe we shouldn’t anoint him as the goat when he couldn’t rip apart a rookie secondary 

1 minute ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

And if they had Zach Wilson as their qb, they would be really bad. Great qbs makes every draft better. They passed on Tee Higgins for CHE.

side note, as much as I like Burrow, maybe we shouldn’t anoint him as the goat when he couldn’t rip apart a rookie secondary 

It's reasonable to criticize Burrow for not lighting up the Rams in the SB last season and the Chiefs in the AFCCG this season, especially considering how talented his weapons are. It's also important to mitigate that criticism with a healthy recognition of the kind of debilitating pass rush pressure he faced early and often in both contests. 

The Bills failed to exploit the Bengals o-line. The Chiefs succeeded. Simple.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

We need to start Elam Shakir and maybe even Benford (at safety) next year. 

Buffalo tends to get a little stuck on mid level players like Dane Jackson as starters. They value consistency over potential, maybe?

But potential stars improve by playing, not by learning from the bench or being asked to drop weight or whatever. 

21 hours ago, Awwufelloff said:

I think everyone here wanted Mcduffie over Elam and rightfully so. I saw some glimpses of greatness from Elam at times so excited for him next yr. 

If we only played him more we might have seen more but it’s hard to get rookies and traded players up to speed with our complicated playbook. 🤦‍♂️ 

9 hours ago, Big Blitz said:

Yep.  Their last 3 drafts have helped significantly.  

They were absolutely not the most talented group on paper in that division and I didn’t think they could win it let alone get this far 

However - we underestimated how big a deal coaching is.  And they got a huge assist by 3 morons getting hired in that division.  

The Chargers being decimated by injury again didn’t help.   

Meh. It was close between then and the Chargers IMO. I think the Chargers have good players, but their offensive weaponary tends to be a little overhyped IMO and there is still a considerable gap Pat - Justin. 

And obviously a coaching gap too as you recognise. 

9 hours ago, Richard Noggin said:

Yes, he's supplied for a "finesse" offense a valuable, physical spark that fans should appreciate, but his short-striding, violent, stompy gait probably maxes out close to what we've seen this season already. Which is a fun, physical, fairly effective style. While the runner is explosively healthy.  

At the same time, with sparser usage, especially early in the season, James Cook has flashed 0.8 ypc MORE productivity, yet is far less acknowledged, possibly due to draft status (and lineage/expectation). 

Pacheo >>>>>Cook.  I don't follow college ball but how in the world did this guy last until the 7th round?  If we had drafted him, there wouldn't be any issue regarding running back going into next season.  He's fast, powerful and breaks tackles.  Wake me up when Cook breaks a tackle.  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

3 minutes ago, st pete gogolak said:

Pacheo >>>>>Cook.  I don't follow college ball but how in the world did this guy last until the 7th round?  If we had drafted him, there wouldn't be any issue regarding running back going into next season.  He's fast, powerful and breaks tackles.  Wake me up when Cook breaks a tackle.  

For how long has the prevailing logic been to draft RB late or never? And yet Beane has been all over tossing away picks on that position.

McDermott & Beane were extremely fortunate they had a QB that has bailed them out these last 3 years, but that's over now. You can bet if they don't shape up soon, they'll be looking at their 2nd go around somewhere else. It's gonna get a lot tougher now that they're paying JA17.

On 1/31/2023 at 9:33 AM, wppete said:

Our draft apart from some production from Cook and Elam was awful AGAIN! we haven’t had a good draft since Josh’s Allen draft. 

It's not like our rookies even get a chance to play.  

6 minutes ago, pocoboy said:

For how long has the prevailing logic been to draft RB late or never? And yet Beane has been all over tossing away picks on that position.

McDermott & Beane were extremely fortunate they had a QB that has bailed them out these last 3 years, but that's over now. You can bet if they don't shape up soon, they'll be looking at their 2nd go around somewhere else. It's gonna get a lot tougher now that they're paying JA17.

Agree.  Beane seems to have a knack picking WR's and DB's but not OL or RB.  Here's a partial list of backs picked after Cook who had superior rookie seasons: Brian Robinson (3); Dameon Pierce (4); Tyler Allegeier (5); and Pacheco (7).  

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, billieve420 said:

Team's hand was forced after seeing how terrible Peterman was. However, the plan was for Josh to not play immediately if at all his rookie season.

So he was going to get the Patrick Mahomes treatment?

21 minutes ago, st pete gogolak said:

Agree.  Beane seems to have a knack picking WR's and DB's but not OL or RB.  Here's a partial list of backs picked after Cook who had superior rookie seasons: Brian Robinson (3); Dameon Pierce (4); Tyler Allegeier (5); and Pacheco (7).  

and how many of those guys were splitting time at RB like Cook was? I'm pretty sure none of them were. 

• Disagree 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.