Chiefs Draft 2022

chef4131

4 hours ago, Zerovoltz said:

If KC hadn't nailed the 22 draft, we wouldn't be in the SB.

This was supposed to be a reset year.  Alot of KC twitter and talking heads are clammoring right now about some of the preseason predictions of KC missing playoffs or barely making wild card, not winning division...but if we (KC fans) are being honest, those people weren't just basing that on nothing.

KC traded Tyreek Hill

Lost CB Charvarious Ward in FA (started all year for SF, played very well)

Lost S Tyrann Mathieu (was making too many business decisions his last year, but still good)

Lodt DT Jarran Reed (starter, didn't live up to expectations in KC anyhow)

Lost EDGE Melvin Ingram 

Lost MLB Anthony Hitchens (I say lost here, but he sucked, but was the starter at MLB)

Lost RB Darrell Williams (was teams leading rusher in '21 and led in Rushing TD with 6)

Lost CB Mike Hughes (started 6 games)

Lost S Dan Sorenson (another who I say lost, but was glad to see go)

Lost WR Byron Pringle (3rd on team with 5 TD catches 5th in recptons with 42)

Everyone talks about losing Tyreek but KC churned the roster A LOT.

It's understandable to think a team losing this much starting experience and production, would struggle.

It's also notable KC nailed the draft in 21 also.  Traded the 1 for Orlando Brown (who isn't that good, but he's better than what KC had heading into 2021, wich was nothing at all at OT)

2nd Creed Humphrey - All Pro Center

6th Trey Smith - Starting guard

2nd NIck Bolton - Starting LB (and is good)

5th Noah Gray - solid contributor at TE 

KC also got 2 key starters from 2020 -

2nd LB Willie Gay

4th CB LaJarious Snead

10 high quality, CHEAP, starters from the last 3 drafts, but the 2022 draft is the hallmark.

On top of this, KC did NOT restructure Mahomes this year to kick money down the road, they ate the entire 36 mil cap, which only helps later on.

That's how you stay on top when your QB cap hits start getting big.  KC's FA signings have been decent also.  

I'm not bragging.  I am posting this to demonstrate that the Bills are going to need to do better drafting as Allens cap hits now start to take up a big chunk.

This is a sad reality check of why KC is still better than us. 

• Like (+1) 2

1 minute ago, ngbills said:

I'll play the optimist here and say that if they Chiefs can score a really high value draft and flip things around in a reset year, then the Bills should at least be capable of doing the same.   I'm not sure McBeane is up the task though but we'll see.

• Agree 1

None of these players would have started for the Bills. Not because they aren't good but because this coaching staff for some reason refuses to develop its rookies on the field. McDuffie a man only corner would have been made inactive at one point for washed up Xavier Rhodes. Mind you I'm not saying that would have been a good decision but that is the reality of this coaching staff. I saw plenty of flashes from Elam, Cook, and Shakir but they didn't play.

• Like (+1) 4
  • Agree 6

4 hours ago, Billsflyer12 said:

Chiefs 20 of last 22 picks have contributed.

The real question is whether those 20 picks were truly that good, or if their coaches got it out of them. I suspect it's more the latter, probably a bit out of necessity.

In the end, if McDermott is still coaching come Sept '24, his staff is going to need to learn to trust more of those draft picks. They can't just go out and keep signing/trading for big money guys.

And they'd better hope those youngsters are up to the task. You really don't want to end up on the New Orleans elevator back down because you just can't kick the salary cap can down the road any farther.

Edited by pocoboy

2 hours ago, The Jokeman said:

Benford produced. Shakir had moments. People sure seem to miss a lot.

Benford produced? Played in 9 games, none more than. I would agree he played more than people thought but produced is generous. 

Shakir had moments. That is a low bar. He may or may not be involved next year. Hopefully the Bills sign a WR in free agency, draft one high and Shakir is still below Diggs, free agent, draft pick, davis and possibly more. 

7 minutes ago, ngbills said:

By the bye, we were better than them. But a bye week of Allen MVP talk seemed to get to him. That led to the 2nd half of Green Bay, and then a big letdown in the Meadowlands punctuated by Allen's elbow injury that seemed to derail his season completely. Throw in Miller's injury, plus a number of other secondary injuries, and it's just the way it goes when you build your team to rely on so many aging veterans.

• Agree 2

6 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

None of these players would have started for the Bills. Not because they aren't good but because this coaching staff for some reason refuses to develop its rookies on the field. McDuffie a man only corner would have been made inactive at one point for washed up Xavier Rhodes. Mind you I'm not saying that would have been a good decision but that is the reality of this coaching staff. I saw plenty of flashes from Elam, Cook, and Shakir but they didn't play.

I am convinced that was an off the field thing with Elam. I am absolutely convinced it was. Don't know what, but he was late to a meeting or missed a team bus, or had a row with a coach or something.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

You need to draft well and the guy needs the opportunity to play.   Not saying one way or the other how good or bad the Bills draft was but the roster going into the draft was set for starters except maybe CB.  The Chiefs were in a different situation with more needs, guys got the opportunity more in KC.  The Bills are going to be forced into a similar position with the cap.....they are going to NEED more production from the draft class next year.  The Chiefs are in a different part of the cap life cycle and did a bit of a reset by offloading Hill.   Bernard did not show much for where he was drafted and there was the situation with Araiza.   It is not at all clear the 2022 crop is bad.  In fact in 2021 and 2022 the Bills pretty much were not going to keep everyone...they started with a deep roster.  Guys like Jack Anderson, WIldgoose did not make it but are still in the league with other teams.  Not saying they are world beaters but the Bills were deep, they wont be as deep going into next year but that does not mean the expectations should be a lot lower.   It gives them more opportunity to let guys play and maybe even steal from someone else for a change.

Well, for all of "this is why KC is still ahead of us" sentiments - we DID beat them at their place this year.  I would have loved to see the match-up in the AFCCG.  I think we're a better team now.

I like our '22 draft.  Elam has the skillset to be as good as Tre was at his peak.  Cook came on strong and could easily be our starter next year.  Shakir will be our starter at slot.   Benford could easily be a starting safety (and a good one).

And who knows w/ Bernard.  He could end up being an ace on ST, and providing good depth at LB.

• Haha (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, Success said:

Well, for all of "this is why KC is still ahead of us" sentiments - we DID beat them at their place this year.  I would have loved to see the match-up in the AFCCG.  I think we're a better team now.

I like our '22 draft.  Elam has the skillset to be as good as Tre was at his peak.  Cook came on strong and could easily be our starter next year.  Shakir will be our starter at slot.   Benford could easily be a starting safety (and a good one).

And who knows w/ Bernard.  He could end up being an ace on ST, and providing good depth at LB.

Everything here is doused in wishful thinking that every player will max out. They won't. Also, yes, the Bills have beat the Chiefs during the regular season. And we know those games turn out meaningless. 

• Agree 1

3 hours ago, The Jokeman said:

Benford produced. Shakir had moments. People sure seem to miss a lot.

Yeah, I'm not ready to bury the draft as a failure.  Cook was flashing in the second half of the season and should be our no. 1 RB next year.  Benford looked good when healthy and Elam was up and down but showed some promise, same for Shakir.  I think all four of those guys are going to be bedrock guys starting next season. 

As for Bernard, I liked his tape, but he just appears to be too small to play LB in the NFL.  Hope I'm wrong.

19 minutes ago, TheBrownBear said:

Yeah, I'm not ready to bury the draft as a failure.  Cook was flashing in the second half of the season and should be our no. 1 RB next year.  Benford looked good when healthy and Elam was up and down but showed some promise, same for Shakir.  I think all four of those guys are going to be bedrock guys starting next season. 

As for Bernard, I liked his tape, but he just appears to be too small to play LB in the NFL.  Hope I'm wrong.

Bernard is similarly sized as Milano. He has instincts but I worry about his speed as he looked slow in the regular season. 

48 minutes ago, Airseven said:

Everything here is doused in wishful thinking that every player will max out. They won't. Also, yes, the Bills have beat the Chiefs during the regular season. And we know those games turn out meaningless. 

Do they? Had the Bills beaten the Bengals in the regular season than we end up playing the Jags not the Bengals in the 2nd round of the playoffs. Quite a difference. 

1 hour ago, HappyDays said:

I have a premium membership with Cover 1 which gives me access to a private channel where Erik Turner sometimes drops hints of things he has heard directly from players and other sources with the team. In his words, "directly from the source" it was not an off the field issue or injury or anything like that. Just a normal healthy scratch. Erik was as perplexed by it as anyone.

That just feels so random to me. It is inconsistent with the way this team has operated. They don't start a lot of rookies (although Tre and Groot were "off the bus" guys) and they have had them backup (Oliver and Milano) or even inactive (AJE) early but I can't think if a single other case where they have had a guy play some, active always and then a random one off inactive mid season to start a washed practice squad player. 

I can believe Erik has sources but that just feels off to me. There has to be something else going on. 

• Agree 1

14 hours ago, MrEpsYtown said:

I really wanted McDuffie in the first round. He is just so good. I know the short arm thing, but what he lacked in arm length he makes up with some real savvy. He made a couple of mistakes this weekend, but he is a good one. Ofcourse, they jumped up in front of us through a trade with New England to grab him. I wonder if teh Bills had him higher than Elam or not, but he would have been a really good pick up.

Getting George Karlaftis is just another example of teams over drafting measurables and drafting for need and letting good talent fall to teams in the late first. It happens every year and KC is fortunate in that. You think the Texans or Chargers might like to have Karlaftis over the guards they drafted in the mid first? Heed this warning when you guys are clamoring to reach on a guard or RT in the first. Don't do it. 

In the draft threads, posters were swearing up and down that Beane would NEVER have taken McDuffie due to his arms being slightly shorter than some arbitrary length.  If that’s true, it’s a huge inditement of Beane.  McDuffie was a day 1 starter and jumped off the screen the moment he stepped on the field.  He had no business falling as far as he did.

11 hours ago, Lost said:

It's amusing that despite the Bills front office only being interested in "high character" guys they still managed to f up and draft an alleged rapist.  Sure Ariza had his name cleared now but the allegations were out there back then.  

This may seem like a nit,  but it's actually a relevant point.  The DA announcing that criminal charges will not be filed, means the DA doesn't think they have enough evidence to support criminal charges, or to persuade a jury to convict beyond a reasonable doubt.

It doesn't mean the guy's name has been "cleared".  There is still a civil suit, and you can safely bet that the victim's lawyer, Dan Gilleon, is lurking around with a long stick, ready to stir things up should a team sign him.

• Agree 1

11 hours ago, beebe said:

i think the chiefs are pretty good at drafting, but i don't think they are leaps and bounds better than other teams. i think their real strength is having conviction in their picks and looking to find out what they've got at the earliest possible time

beyond mcduffie, the chiefs had three other DBs drafted in the mid to late rounds. all three got significant playing time early in the year. all three had their fair share of struggles early in the year. but all three got better over time, and all three contributed to the win over the bengals. good or bad, the chiefs want to know as fast as humanly possible if a drafted player is likely to be a long-term answer. they want to get their answers in actual games, not in practice, and they live with the results even if it doesn't look pretty in Sept and Oct.

same with pacheco. it would have been easy to string along a 7th round pick, give him occasional reps, then see if he can deliver in 2023 or 2024. the chiefs decided to name him starter midseason and now he's clearly their top RB going forward, allowing them to likely move on from a prior mistake (CEH). 

skyy moore proved to be the biggest bust of the chiefs' draft so far. but they gave him a few packages every game this year and named him starting punt returner (an experiment that failed so horribly moore asked off the job.) but then moore kept working at it in practice, and when called upon due to injury vs the bengals, he ripped off the big return that set up the winning score.

It's important to acknowledge that sometimes necessity is the mother of invention, with respect to roster utilization. The Chiefs have undoubtedly been more progressive and aggressive recently than the Bills in their fielding of rookies and inexperienced players throughout the depth chart. I wonder how much is forced by injury, and how much is deliberate.

And how much has to do with what matters most: the LOS. The Chiefs defensive front pressured Burrow effectively with a variety of approaches, taking advantage of an obvious injury-related vulnerability (Bengals missing 3 starters on the OL). This allowed even the rookies in KC's secondary to play with a certain conviction and clarity. Those inexperienced DBs weren't hung out to dry often enough to be exploited under this approach. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.