Chiefs Draft 2022

chef4131

3 minutes ago, schoolhouserock said:

“Painted themselves into a corner” LOL… good way to describe the first round of the ‘22 Draft.

Absolutely it is what happened. The Bills had a glaring need at one position - cornerback. It was so obvious that would be the position they had to take that I not only called the position, I called the slight trade up we’d need to make well before the draft. The trade up was necessary because everyone with a clue knew we’d take a CB and the Bills knew they’d likely get jumped if they didn’t. 

1 minute ago, BarleyNY said:

Absolutely it is what happened. The Bills had a glaring need at one position - cornerback. It was so obvious that would be the position they had to take that I not only called the position, I called the slight trade up we’d need to make well before the draft. The trade up was necessary because everyone with a clue knew we’d take a CB and the Bills knew they’d likely get jumped if they didn’t. 

I disagree that the Bills “needed” to take a CB in the first round, but I agree that everyone knew they were going to. As it turned out, they probably shouldn’t have.

2 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

Had a nice draft. Not sure there is an elite star in there yet but they got good players who had immediate impact.

They have outdrafted us the last 3 years.

This is a huge part of the problem with the Bills. KC has also very much so out-navigated Buffalo in the salary cap as well. Buffalo's -$21M isn't my hugest concern. But it becomes one when you take into account that the difference between us and KC is $33M. And next year that difference skyrockets to $80M.

We see no/little cap relief until 2025. Just to get through the next two seasons and field a roster we will have to borrow from that number, so I expect it to be minimal by the time we get there.  

13 minutes ago, mannc said:

I disagree that the Bills “needed” to take a CB in the first round, but I agree that everyone knew they were going to. As it turned out, they probably shouldn’t have.

I would not have thought so at the time, and maybe I'm still not sure, but perhaps the Bills should have taken OT Tyler Smith?  He went with the very next pick.  Nor really sure what else might have been better than going with Elam.

3 minutes ago, Zerovoltz said:

I would not have thought so at the time, and maybe I'm still not sure, but perhaps the Bills should have taken OT Tyler Smith?  He went with the very next pick.  Nor really sure what else might have been better than going with Elam.

Too early to call the Elam pick a miss, but I would have stayed at 24 and taken Christian Watson (who went to GB at the top of the second).  He's exactly what this offense needs and eventually would have freed up Diggs to play in the slot.  Tyler Smith would have been a solid choice, too, but I doubt the Bills would have traded up to 22 for him. 

3 hours ago, chef4131 said:

Chiefs again playing in the SB is a credit to their organization besides having Mahommes, the Chiefs certainly received great value from their 2022 draft class.  Having rookie production certainly helps balance paying high salaries to top talented players  

#Chiefs 2022 draft

1st rd T McDuffie - starter

1st rd G. Karlaftis - starter

2nd rd B Cook - nickel SAF

2nd rd S Moore - 4th/5th WR & PR

4th rd J Williams - starter

7th rd J Watson - starter

7th rd I Pacheco - starter

12 selections currently in ‘23 draft

I want to give the Chiefs props for drafting well.

You're also absolutely correct, that the Chiefs are still winning despite paying Mahomes because they have found rookie production.  They are following a "Stars and Guys" model.

A couple points though - how do you define "starter"? 

Some of those guys you have as starters, like J. Williams, only started a handful of games and overall played about 1/3 of the defensive snaps.

Others like Karlaftis, started and saw the majority of the the snaps early in the season but then fell to 40%-50% 2nd half - which may be injury limitations, or may not be a good sign.  When something like that happened with our 1st round pick Ed Oliver, we were pretty negative about it.  6 sacks and 11 QB hits though, very good.

We would also be very negative if we drafted a WR in the 2nd round as the Chiefs drafted Sky Moore, and he wound up with 22 receptions for 250 yds.  It's not that far off from 5th round WR Khalil Shakir 10 receptions on 161 yds.  14 PR for 6.1 y/r and 3 kick returns for 16.7 y/r also not

Pacheco looks like a total late round gem though, and looks like from their 11 draft picks the Chiefs got at least 4 guys who can play well in the league, so that's good. 

Anyway just a counterpoint that labeling so many of these guys "starters" may be a bit off, depending on how "starter" is defined, and that if the Bills got comparable production from a couple of high round draftees, there would be a lot of carping and criticism from Bills fans

32 minutes ago, Zerovoltz said:

I wanted Tyler Linderbaum, myself.  He can play guard, and my idea would be start him at guard for a year then move him over when we move on from Morse.

Went two picks later, at the Bills original #25 pick.

He looks great so far.

At our original 2nd round pick #57 Cam Taylor Britt would have been available to fill the CB need.

What do you think of Skyy Moore?

Edited by Beck Water
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

3 minutes ago, Beck Water said:

I want to give the Chiefs props for drafting well.

You're also absolutely correct, that the Chiefs are still winning despite paying Mahomes because they have found rookie production.  They are following a "Stars and Guys" model.

A couple points though - how do you define "starter"? 

Some of those guys you have as starters, like J. Williams, only started a handful of games and overall played about 1/3 of the defensive snaps.

Others like Karlaftis, started and saw the majority of the the snaps early in the season but then fell to 40%-50% 2nd half - which may be injury limitations, or may not be a good sign.  When something like that happened with our 1st round pick Ed Oliver, we were pretty negative about it.  6 sacks and 11 QB hits though, very good.

We would also be very negative if we drafted a WR in the 2nd round as the Chiefs drafted Sky Moore, and he wound up with 22 receptions for 250 yds.  It's not that far off from 5th round WR Khalil Shakir 10 receptions on 161 yds.  14 PR for 6.1 y/r and 3 kick returns for 16.7 y/r also not

Pacheco looks like a total late round gem though, and looks like from their 11 draft picks the Chiefs got at least 4 guys who can play well in the league, so that's good. 

Anyway just a counterpoint that labeling so many of these guys "starters" may be a bit off, depending on how "starter" is defined, and that if the Bills got comparable production from a couple of high round draftees, there would be a lot of carping and criticism from Bills fans

I thought Skye Moore was a bad pick at that time…undersized and lacks explosiveness.  Seemed to have a reasonably high floor but a low ceiling.

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, wppete said:

Our draft apart from some production from Cook and Elam was awful AGAIN! we haven’t had a good draft since Josh’s Allen draft. 

McDermott tends to stick with the Vets far longer than he should. Thought Elam and Shakir should have played more than they did. This team brings their younger players along too slowly for my liking. Reps are the only way they are going to improve so should be playing their younger players that show promise.

Edited by billieve420
  • Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, chef4131 said:

Chiefs again playing in the SB is a credit to their organization besides having Mahommes, the Chiefs certainly received great value from their 2022 draft class.  Having rookie production certainly helps balance paying high salaries to top talented players  

#Chiefs 2022 draft

1st rd G. Karlaftis - starter 2nd rd B Cook - nickel SAF

1. Elam--should be starter next year. Looks pretty good.

2. Cook--could be starter. Probably committee back. 

3. Bernard--fourth string backup last year. A real WTF pick at this point.

5. Shakir--could be starter next year.

6. Araiza--Gone. Bills didn't do homework on him.

6. Benford--Could be starting safety next year.

6. Tenuka--Gone. Signed off practice squad.

7. Spector--could be quality backup next year.

So the 2022 draft could result in four starters and one solid backup next year. Not as good as the Chiefs draft, but they had more picks.

• Shocked 1
  • Dislike 1

4 hours ago, chef4131 said:

#Chiefs 2022 draft

1st rd G. Karlaftis - starter 2nd rd B Cook - nickel SAF

Wait ... are you telling me that coaches are allowed to actually let rookies PLAY???

Someone get Clappy on the phone, STAT!

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 4

i think the chiefs are pretty good at drafting, but i don't think they are leaps and bounds better than other teams. i think their real strength is having conviction in their picks and looking to find out what they've got at the earliest possible time

beyond mcduffie, the chiefs had three other DBs drafted in the mid to late rounds. all three got significant playing time early in the year. all three had their fair share of struggles early in the year. but all three got better over time, and all three contributed to the win over the bengals. good or bad, the chiefs want to know as fast as humanly possible if a drafted player is likely to be a long-term answer. they want to get their answers in actual games, not in practice, and they live with the results even if it doesn't look pretty in Sept and Oct.

same with pacheco. it would have been easy to string along a 7th round pick, give him occasional reps, then see if he can deliver in 2023 or 2024. the chiefs decided to name him starter midseason and now he's clearly their top RB going forward, allowing them to likely move on from a prior mistake (CEH). 

skyy moore proved to be the biggest bust of the chiefs' draft so far. but they gave him a few packages every game this year and named him starting punt returner (an experiment that failed so horribly moore asked off the job.) but then moore kept working at it in practice, and when called upon due to injury vs the bengals, he ripped off the big return that set up the winning score.

Edited by beebe
  • Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, rm -rf /* said:

It's much easier to draft when you don't have to draft nice guys.

It's amusing that despite the Bills front office only being interested in "high character" guys they still managed to f up and draft an alleged rapist.  Sure Ariza had his name cleared now but the allegations were out there back then.  

• Agree 1

7 minutes ago, Lost said:

It's amusing that despite the Bills front office only being interested in "high character" guys they still managed to f up and draft an alleged rapist.  Sure Ariza had his name cleared now but the allegations were out there back then.  

I had the exact same thought when all of that went down.

Edited by rm -rf /*

Elam was the Bills guy. I know there is lots of speculation on the basis of the draft video but they wanted Kaiir Elam. I long since said that McDuffie did not fit their profile and I have had it confirmed since that Elam was the guy they were looking at even before the KC trade up. 

Interesting that down the stretch the Chiefs went to using McDuffie as the nickel much more. That to me is where I think he excels. He had a solid rookie year, he was a higher floor guy than Elam, more pro ready. I had McDuffie graded above Elam too. But I just knew McDuffie was very unlikely to be the guy the Bills coveted. 

I think Elam does have a high ceiling and he flashed that this year. He had two very strong games against Tyreek Hill and those are the sorts of matchups I think he excels in. His transitions were the thing that worried me most in zone concepts and I still have that concern as well. He over compensates for his natural instinct to be aggressive and ends up giving too much of a cushion. The numbers reflect that as well. He has given up a high percentage of catches but a very low yards per catch. Other than the Steelers game and that one touchdown in the 2nd New England game I struggle to recall a play he has given up over the top.... He just needs to be better in his drops and transitions playing off coverage. Once that clicks I think you will see him start to make more plays on the ball in those intermediate zones. He was my 7th of 7 in terms of good corner prospects in the last draft but I think overall he showed enough promise for me to be encouraged moving forward. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 2

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.