Chiefs Draft 2022

chef4131

Chiefs again playing in the SB is a credit to their organization besides having Mahommes, the Chiefs certainly received great value from their 2022 draft class.  Having rookie production certainly helps balance paying high salaries to top talented players  

#Chiefs 2022 draft

1st rd T McDuffie - starter

1st rd G. Karlaftis - starter 2nd rd B Cook - nickel SAF

2nd rd S Moore - 4th/5th WR & PR

4th rd J Williams - starter

7th rd J Watson - starter

7th rd I Pacheco - starter

12 selections currently in ‘23 draft

• Like (+1) 6
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

If KC hadn't nailed the 22 draft, we wouldn't be in the SB.

This was supposed to be a reset year.  Alot of KC twitter and talking heads are clammoring right now about some of the preseason predictions of KC missing playoffs or barely making wild card, not winning division...but if we (KC fans) are being honest, those people weren't just basing that on nothing.

KC traded Tyreek Hill

Lost CB Charvarious Ward in FA (started all year for SF, played very well)

Lost S Tyrann Mathieu (was making too many business decisions his last year, but still good)

Lodt DT Jarran Reed (starter, didn't live up to expectations in KC anyhow)

Lost EDGE Melvin Ingram 

Lost MLB Anthony Hitchens (I say lost here, but he sucked, but was the starter at MLB)

Lost RB Darrell Williams (was teams leading rusher in '21 and led in Rushing TD with 6)

Lost CB Mike Hughes (started 6 games)

Lost S Dan Sorenson (another who I say lost, but was glad to see go)

Lost WR Byron Pringle (3rd on team with 5 TD catches 5th in recptons with 42)

Everyone talks about losing Tyreek but KC churned the roster A LOT.

It's understandable to think a team losing this much starting experience and production, would struggle.

It's also notable KC nailed the draft in 21 also.  Traded the 1 for Orlando Brown (who isn't that good, but he's better than what KC had heading into 2021, wich was nothing at all at OT)

2nd Creed Humphrey - All Pro Center

6th Trey Smith - Starting guard

2nd NIck Bolton - Starting LB (and is good)

5th Noah Gray - solid contributor at TE 

KC also got 2 key starters from 2020 -

2nd LB Willie Gay

4th CB LaJarious Snead

10 high quality, CHEAP, starters from the last 3 drafts, but the 2022 draft is the hallmark.

On top of this, KC did NOT restructure Mahomes this year to kick money down the road, they ate the entire 36 mil cap, which only helps later on.

That's how you stay on top when your QB cap hits start getting big.  KC's FA signings have been decent also.  

I'm not bragging.  I am posting this to demonstrate that the Bills are going to need to do better drafting as Allens cap hits now start to take up a big chunk.

• Like (+1) 6
  • Agree 8
  • Awesome! (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

I really wanted McDuffie in the first round. He is just so good. I know the short arm thing, but what he lacked in arm length he makes up with some real savvy. He made a couple of mistakes this weekend, but he is a good one. Ofcourse, they jumped up in front of us through a trade with New England to grab him. I wonder if teh Bills had him higher than Elam or not, but he would have been a really good pick up.

Getting George Karlaftis is just another example of teams over drafting measurables and drafting for need and letting good talent fall to teams in the late first. It happens every year and KC is fortunate in that. You think the Texans or Chargers might like to have Karlaftis over the guards they drafted in the mid first? Heed this warning when you guys are clamoring to reach on a guard or RT in the first. Don't do it. 

Edited by MrEpsYtown
  • Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, MrEpsYtown said:

I really wanted McDuffie in the first round. He is just so good. I know the short arm thing, but what he lacked in arm length he makes up with some real savvy. He made a couple of mistakes this weekend, but he is a good one. Ofcourse, they jumped up in front of us through a trade with New England to grab him. I wonder if teh Bills had him higher than Elam or not, but he would have been a really good pick up.

Getting George Karlaftis is just another example of teams over drafting measurables and drafting for need and letting good talent fall to teams in the late first. It happens every year and KC is fortunate in that. You think the Texans or Chargers might like to have Karlaftis over the guards they drafted in the mid first? Heed this warning when you guys are clamoring to reach on a guard or RT in the first. Don't do it. 

There is a really good thread here somewhere debating that.  There is video of the Bills war room when KC trades up and takes McDuffie.  They all look very unhappy and even comment that KC 

• Like (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, Zerovoltz said:

There is a really good thread here somewhere debating that.  There is video of the Bills war room when KC trades up and takes McDuffie.  They all look very unhappy and even comment that KC 

Oh man! Yep that sucks. He was tailor made for their scheme. Sometimes I feel like they get a little caught with their pants down and aren't ready to pick. Be aggressive and go get your guy.  It felt a little like the Elam pick was a panic pick. The AJ Epenesa pick felt like that as well. Oh well. 

12 minutes ago, Zerovoltz said:

Everyone knew the Bills painted themselves into a corner and had to draft a CB in the first. It was also obvious that they’d need to trade up at least a little bit to make sure they didn’t get jumped for their guy. They did that, but only two picks. I can’t say for sure that Beane had McDuffie ranked ahead of Elam, but I am sure they should have. KC made the right move there obviously. 

• Agree 1

6 minutes ago, MrEpsYtown said:

Oh man! Yep that sucks. He was tailor made for their scheme. Sometimes I feel like they get a little caught with their pants down and aren't ready to pick. Be aggressive and go get your guy.  It felt a little like the Elam pick was a panic pick. The AJ Epenesa pick felt like that as well. Oh well. 

The thing is, the Patriots were not going to help the Bills. That wasn’t happening. But I am pretty sure that the Bills wanted McDuffie.

Edited by dave mcbride

1 hour ago, BarleyNY said:

Everyone knew the Bills painted themselves into a corner and had to draft a CB in the first. It was also obvious that they’d need to trade up at least a little bit to make sure they didn’t get jumped for their guy. They did that, but only two picks. I can’t say for sure that Beane had McDuffie ranked ahead of Elam, but I am sure they should have. KC made the right move there obviously. 

“Painted themselves into a corner” LOL… good way to describe the first round of the ‘22 Draft.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.