Sean Payton Queston

arcadia bob

16 hours ago, Victory Formation said:

Too old and how many Super Bowls did he win with HOF QB Drew Brees?

And regardless how I feel about this coaching staff (I agree with you) I don’t think Terry is ready to move on from Beane/McD. I don’t see it happening.

1 and he went 7-9 three straight seasons with Prime Brees. No thanks. He isn't close to as good as everyone makes him out to be.

• Agree 1

12 hours ago, arcadia bob said:

Thats my point winning percentage means nothing if you can't win the super bowl. Its time to cut the cord how many players will be fired up to come back next year after the recent failures the last 3 years in the playoffs. plus do free agent view buffalo a place as a good spot to go.... I Don't think so   look at the big picture and cut bait now.

Payton had more than twice as many seasons to shoot for a SB win, most of it with a HOF QB. He was in the playoffs in (only) 9 of 14 seasons. It does not shock me that he won one Super Bowl. I just don’t think the grass is always greener. 

I’m not hating on Payton, I’m just not seeing the need to give up whatever you suggested to start over and see how things go. Does Payton want his own GM? Who is that? Is be better than Beane? This is one of those situations where it’s hypothetical and there is not enough information to have an informed opinion. 

If Beane can get the roster shored up, I like McD’s chances of winning a SB before he has finished 14 seasons. 

This has nothing to do with anything, but I was surprised by how dull and dry Payton was at FOX. I’m sure he’s brilliant, but he puts me to sleep. 

14 hours ago, ArtVandalay said:

No coach has ever won his first super this far into his tenure with a team. So by your own admission we should fire McDermott because historically he has no chance of winning a super bowl here. 

That's not true. It took Andy Reid 7 years to win a Super Bowl in KC.  So, I guess you would have fired Reid after 6 years of no Super Bowls in KC.  It also took him 6 years to get to and lose a Super Bowl in Philadelphia.  It took Reid 21 seasons as an NFL coach before he won a Super Bowl-what a bum.  

• Agree 1

17 hours ago, arcadia bob said:

I believe that the current coaching staff has done all the can with the BILLS team. Just can't see the players buying into the process anymore, this is going to be the team's biggest problem next year, not the draft,free agents ect.I would offer the Saints our 1 and next year's #2 to get it done. Payton may not be the best choice out there but he's a hell of a lot better than we have now. 

Would you make the deal??

I think Diggs is likely going to be a problem be next year. We have already seen some outbursts. 

This might be unpopular, but Sean Payton is overrated IMO.

He went to 1 SB with Brees. Every single year in the playoffs it seemed to be something. I get the 1 off Minnesota Miracle, that can happen in a single elimination game where 1 missed tackle= going home. OK. But he had one of the greatest QBs of all-time for over a decade and has 1 SB appearance to show for it. 

I'm not super impressed, TBH. 

On the subject of him returning to coaching, I wonder if Payton shows up for work in NO what they would do. They would have to employ him or fire him I would think. 

They can't keep the man from working forever. 

Edited by TheFunPolice
  • Like (+1) 1

17 hours ago, arcadia bob said:

I believe that the current coaching staff has done all the can with the BILLS team. Just can't see the players buying into the process anymore, this is going to be the team's biggest problem next year, not the draft,free agents ect.I would offer the Saints our 1 and next year's #2 to get it done. Payton may not be the best choice out there but he's a hell of a lot better than we have now. 

Would you make the deal??

I think Bruce Arians is the best coach who may be available. Read last week he may be looking to leave the Tampa FO and see what options were available. He led the Colts to the playoffs with Pagano out, had success in AZ, and won in Tampa (with Brady, but when Bowles took over the team went downhill). But that's just my 2 cents. 

3 hours ago, Donuts and Doritos said:

He never won a Superbowl after he left the Giants. Sure, he improved teams & got them to the post season, but McD does that now. We're talking about upgrading not to reach the SB, but to win it, which Parcells (who's a top 5 all time great) never did. That's what I believe you'll get w/ Sean Payton, a great coach who won't get us a ring.

Yes, never won a Super Bowl but that's kinda hard considering he quit every team within 3 to 4 years after he left the Giants. He would turn a franchise around and then leave. He's not a mediocre coach and he did well with every team he was a part of. He's a HOF coach and an all time great. Payton is nowhere near that and there should be no comparison. Not even the "poor man's" argument

Edited by Buffalo03
  • Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Buffalo03 said:

Yes, never won a Super Bowl but that's kinda hard considering he quit every team within 3 to 4 years after he left the Giants. He would turn a franchise around and then leave. He's not a mediocre coach and he did well with every team he was a part of. He's a HOF coach and an all time great. Payton is nowhere near that and there should be no comparison. Not even the "poor man's" argument

That's why I said he's a top 5 all time coach, never said he was "mediocre". I agree his constant switching spots may have contributed, but the point is everyone thought bringing him in would equal SB win (much like some seem to think w/ Payton) & it didn't. & The fact that Payton isn't as good only makes my argument that bringing him in will not automatically equate to a SB ring that much more compelling.

20 hours ago, Bangarang said:

What makes Payton better? Because he has an offensive background?

He had one of the best QBs ever in his prime for majority of his time in NO and managed to make it beyond the Divisional Round 3 times in 15 years.

People complain that we lack talent but are cool with giving up multiple draft picks for a coach? Pass

That's a great point.  Even w/ Brees, he only snuck one SB win in - and I still feel like the Colts should have won that game.

The grass is always greener.  We have a solid coach in McD - I'd easily put him in the top 10.  Our coordinators aren't near there, but Dorsey still has a chance to emerge as a strong OC.

8 minutes ago, Donuts and Doritos said:

That's why I said he's a top 5 all time coach, never said he was "mediocre". I agree his constant switching spots may have contributed, but the point is everyone thought bringing him in would equal SB win (much like some seem to think w/ Payton) & it didn't. & The fact that Payton isn't as good only makes my argument that bringing him in will not automatically equate to a SB ring that much more compelling.

It doesn't make your argument if you're comparing him to Parcells lol. Everything else, I can understand 

5 hours ago, newcam2012 said:

I think Diggs is likely going to be a problem be next year. We have already seen some outbursts. 

Diggs just an emotional guy. I have no issues with him hating on losing. Note he hasn't blamed a coach or finger pointing he's just expressing himself as the competitor he is. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Donuts and Doritos said:

We'll, Payton's off to Denver, so it's all academic anyway. (Not that he was ever coming here since we aren't moving on from McD). Let's hope we fix the issues on the roster. 

I didn't want Payton to come here anyway. I always thought he was kinda overrated 

• Agree 1

3 minutes ago, Buffalo03 said:

I didn't want Payton to come here anyway. I always thought he was kinda overrated 

You would be over the moon if we got him, be honest haha. He might fail and I think McDermott is a really good coach. But an off season of Payton working with Josh would have been amazing.

1 hour ago, The Jokeman said:

Diggs just an emotional guy. I have no issues with him hating on losing. Note he hasn't blamed a coach or finger pointing he's just expressing himself as the competitor he is. 

I agree to a point.  But was he the only one frustrated with losing? Why can the other players act like pros while he stomps off like a little kid?

ultimately, it’s fine. But wrs are so annoying at times. 

7 hours ago, Albany,n.y. said:

That's not true. It took Andy Reid 7 years to win a Super Bowl in KC.  So, I guess you would have fired Reid after 6 years of no Super Bowls in KC.  It also took him 6 years to get to and lose a Super Bowl in Philadelphia.  It took Reid 21 seasons as an NFL coach before he won a Super Bowl-what a bum.  

I was about to point this out.  Thank you for enumerating all of this.  People thought Andy Reid was a choker until he won it all.  Now he is like Wile E. Coyote, Super Genius.  Was he an idiot before then?

7 hours ago, Albany,n.y. said:

Hey you are the one saying you can't hire Payton because of history, just showing our own history. 

And McD will be year 7 next year, only difference is this will be his 6th year with Allen... for Reid it was only the 2nd year of playing Mahomes. 

Team has gone backwards as had the offense. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.