Sean Payton Queston

arcadia bob

I like Mcdermott as a coach but not as coach that is capable of winning a super bowl. I agree that giving up a 1 and a 2 is a very big price but if you think that no team is going to give up a 1, I don't know what to tell you.What does it matter we don't hit on early picks anyway.

My problem is Payton is going to want to run the entire operation.

On top of the compensation which is $20M - $25M per year, the draft picks, is he going to want to be the GM, and play caller too?

Or will he simply be the Head Coach? Because wherever he goes he’s going to be looked at as the savior. 

At the same time I would definitely support consultants or senior coaches being added to either coaching staff, I especially think the defense needs another voice, because that gameplan by Frazier and McDermott was pathetic. 

If you really think that the current staff can get us a SB fine but don't look back in 5 years and wonder what the hell happened. We have been out coached in our last 3 playoffs series. Sometimes you just have to move on from the current situation. Trust me as a 50-year bills fan i know when that time is .....

16 hours ago, arcadia bob said:

I believe that the current coaching staff has done all the can with the BILLS team. Just can't see the players buying into the process anymore, this is going to be the team's biggest problem next year, not the draft,free agents ect.I would offer the Saints our 1 and next year's #2 to get it done. Payton may not be the best choice out there but he's a hell of a lot better than we have now. 

Would you make the deal??

Are you aware that McD has a career winning percentage slightly higher than Sean Payton? 

NO, I do not make that deal. But he is a big name people have heard of. We always seem to want that! 

Edited by Augie
  • Like (+1) 1

Thats my point winning percentage means nothing if you can't win the super bowl. Its time to cut the cord how many players will be fired up to come back next year after the recent failures the last 3 years in the playoffs. plus do free agent view buffalo a place as a good spot to go.... I Don't think so   look at the big picture and cut bait now.

6 hours ago, arcadia bob said:

Thats my point winning percentage means nothing if you can't win the super bowl. Its time to cut the cord how many players will be fired up to come back next year after the recent failures the last 3 years in the playoffs. plus do free agent view buffalo a place as a good spot to go.... I Don't think so   look at the big picture and cut bait now.

Personally,  I think the players will be looking to get back at it. It was a tough year with all that happened. When you look at the team, would the Bengals game be different had Poyer, Hyde, White,  Jones,  Phillips  and Miller been healthy and close to 100%? I also think Josh was playing less than 100%. As to FA'S,  I would refer you to comments made by Phillips and Lawson and how happy they were to come home or Fitz and he wasn't even a current player. Ultimately,  I don't think FA'S matter to the Bills as we probably won't be playing much in FA. I think McD fits well here and in Buffalo. I think Dorsey deserves at least another year, but should have someone next to him with more experience.  As to Frazier,  I tend to agree and wouldn't mind a change, but who? Unless it's someone more aggressive,  I'm not sure I would make the change. 

I don't think Peyton could do any better and definitely would not give up draft picks to obtain ANY coach. We need all of our pick plus some.

PS. I would have liked someone like Swartz, but he's off the table.

13 hours ago, arcadia bob said:

I believe that the current coaching staff has done all the can with the BILLS team. Just can't see the players buying into the process anymore, this is going to be the team's biggest problem next year, not the draft,free agents ect.I would offer the Saints our 1 and next year's #2 to get it done. Payton may not be the best choice out there but he's a hell of a lot better than we have now. 

No I would not give up premium assets that you need for cheap players for a coach. 

I like Payton and think he's a good coach, but I don't think he's some dramatic improvement over McDermott. This team needs an offensive line and better WRs more than a different coach. Bills were screwed when John brown and Bease were playing significant snaps in the Post season 

Thats the difference right now between the Bills and Chiefs. OLine and weapons. We gave them a ton of crap when they let go of Hill, but they still had an elite weapon in Kelcie and a stud offensive line. Guys like Valdez-Scantling and JuJu are more than capable targets with a guy like Mahomes and the best OLine in football.

I hope Beane took notes

If we're talking pipe dreams for HC, the one that makes the most sense for a variety of reasons, including his likelihood to scheme fit for the Buffalo weather, overturn the roster, and put some hard-hitting back into the trenches: Jim Harbaugh. 

If you really want to shake things up, and get a fast, furious Defense, a solid running game built for the current Buffalo conditions and build off of Allen's strengths, it's Harbaugh all day.

I've been a McD fan since he arrived, but if we're going all in on a drastic change, this is the one. 

Edited by BigBuff423

14 hours ago, Albany,n.y. said:

Never!!!!!!

You do realize that no coach has ever won a Super Bowl with 2 different teams.  If you make the deal you're guaranteeing the Bills won't win a Super Bowl mainly because you gave up 2 high draft choices in hopes that Payton will do something nobody in the 57 years of Super Bowls has EVER DONE.  

I think anyone who wants to fire McDermott is being ridiculous.  

Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence.

14 hours ago, Donuts and Doritos said:

No!! Coached one of the best QBs & a good roster for 15 years & got 1 SB appearance/win in his 3rd season, other 14 years were the same as what we have now. He's not an upgrade & that's an expensive price to pay to get a poorer version of Bill Parcells post Giants coaching.

Bill Parcells was still good after the Giants. Took the Patriots ro a Super Bowl. Turn around a 1-15 Jets team and took them to the Championship game 2 years later and then went to Dallas and made them a playoff team with Quincy freaking Carter at QB his first year after they did nothing for multiple years prior. You make it sound like Parcells was only mediocre after his Giants career. He was still very good and one of the best in the game and all time

11 hours ago, arcadia bob said:

If you really think that the current staff can get us a SB fine but don't look back in 5 years and wonder what the hell happened. We have been out coached in our last 3 playoffs series. Sometimes you just have to move on from the current situation. Trust me as a 50-year bills fan i know when that time is .....

....last 4 playoffs....

I keep hearing the name Sean Payton and he would be run out of this town too lol.

He had Drew Brees as his QB, a top 5 QB of all time.  

He lost to a 7-9 Saints team, Case Keenum, Nick Foles, Kirk Cousins, Jared Goff and Matt Hasselback in the playoffs.

https://www.12up.com/posts/saints-drew-brees-sean-payton-playoff-chokers-vikings-01dxw0z1q5qe

Let's start with the obvious. Head coach Sean Payton seems to be completely unable to function in the playoffs ever since the Saints' Super Bowl victory 10 years ago. Don't believe me? His postseason record is 4-6 since then, and his only convincing victory came against the Detroit Lions back in 2011, a 45-28 triumph against a team that hadn't made the postseason since 1999.

Payton lost to a 7-9 Seahawks team in Seattle. He nearly lost to the hobbled Eagles in New Orleans last year. Do we have to bring up the Minnesota Miracle again? Plain and simple, this is bad head coaching. How is the team not prepared for these big moments?

If we focus on Sunday's collapse, we can start with the playcalling. It was not Saints-esque. Michael Thomas wasn't targeted nearly enough against a depleted Vikings secondary. Alvin Kamara and Latavius Murray combined for 12 (!) rushes. Taysom Hill was easily the team's best offensive player. What happened to the high-octane Saints offense we watched all year average 28 points per game and 33 in their last three contests? They couldn't have come into the playoffs with more momentum.

Payton strayed from the Saints' identity and tried to get too cute. We don't even need to get into the other blunders, like his inability to throw the challenge flag or use timeouts properly.

1 hour ago, Buffalo03 said:

Bill Parcells was still good after the Giants. Took the Patriots ro a Super Bowl. Turn around a 1-15 Jets team and took them to the Championship game 2 years later and then went to Dallas and made them a playoff team with Quincy freaking Carter at QB his first year after they did nothing for multiple years prior. You make it sound like Parcells was only mediocre after his Giants career. He was still very good and one of the best in the game and all time

He never won a Superbowl after he left the Giants. Sure, he improved teams & got them to the post season, but McD does that now. We're talking about upgrading not to reach the SB, but to win it, which Parcells (who's a top 5 all time great) never did. That's what I believe you'll get w/ Sean Payton, a great coach who won't get us a ring.

Edited by Donuts and Doritos

15 hours ago, arcadia bob said:

3 AFC east titles , play offs what 5 years in a row, a 13 & 3 record the year and you want to fire what we have & start all over ?????

I believe there was another post that had a comparison of the 2 coaches & McD's record is much better than his & Payton had a lot longer time to get the team he needed to win 1 SB and they put the team in cap hell to get it & they are still paying for it .

Sure there are some changes that need to be made but seeing how unstable the Bills were prior to McD & Beane getting here i'm going to vote to stick with them I'd rather be really good every year than go back to what the Bills were before they got here but i guess i'm in the minority .

Plus with out those 2 leading this team there would be no new stadium for the team & if they would continue to lose the way they were more likely than not the team would probably no longer be the "Buffalo Bills" so with that being said I'm good right where they are & will give those here more time to achieve what they are trying to !!

GO BILLS !! 

I agree that McDermott and Beane should be retained.  This year's team was 13-3, won their division, and won a playoff game.  They have created a great culture and are good leaders.  That said, there are deficiencies that need to be addressed.  The offensive and defensive schemes and game plans were lacking in creativity and innovation.  The Bills were too predictable.  They were able to beat lesser teams by relatively small margins, but it didn't work against a top team like the Bengals.  While I was not thrilled with Dosey's performance, he seems to be a smart guy and hard worker, so perhaps he'll watch the film and work hard in the offseason to improve.  Frazier appears to be a class act who the guys respect, but he's been around a very long time.  I don't think he's going to change.  It may be time for him to retire and for the Bills to move on to a new DC.  McDermott has to be flexible enough to allow that new DC to implement some new ideas of his own and not just re-implement the same scheme.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.