Sound a horn when play clock expires

Utah John

6 minutes ago, JROC INTEL said:

It’s a good idea, but id say no. There would be so many instances of it going off at the wrong time bc someone didn’t operate the clock correctly/turn it off in time. I think it’s one of those things better left alone personally. 

Isn’t there a horn of some type in the NBA with their shot clock? Do they have issues with that?

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, LOVEMESOMEBILLS said:

I think it would be more entertaining if a player had to do a shot and the other team gets to decide who.

I'd dig my spikes out of the garage for that. 👍

• Haha (+1) 1

13 minutes ago, JohnBonhamRocks said:

100%. 

I give as much of a **** about this as I would if the Dolphins had committed any of the following penalties (that each also result in a 5 yard penalty) 7-8 times without being called for it:

- Encroachment

- False start

- Illegal formation

- Illegal motion

- Illegal shift

- Neutral zone infraction

- Offside

- Running into the kicker

- Too many men on the field

Could you imagine if a team had even 3-4 uncalled clear instances of encroachment, false start, running into the kicker, or too many men? Bedlam.

All for the play clock buzzer personally because adding subjectivity to the referees’ responsibilities is never the right call. 

All of those providing an advantage 

as long as the mechanics of the play clock are consistent it’s absolutely fine by me as is as there is no meaningful gain. 

• Like (+1) 1

24 minutes ago, Simon said:

Who cares.

It's a single second of inactivity.

So what?

Im on the fence about it. Yeh the final second is mostly inactivity but the process of the QB reading the defense and setting protection which lead to that final second of inactivity is the important part. Give someone like Mahomes or Allen an extra second to read the defense and that could make a difference. 

that being said the idea of a shot clock buzzer going off does seem nauseating. But with technology there is for sure a very easy solution out there. 

1 hour ago, Utah John said:

The NFL has this strange procedure for calling delay of game penalties when the play clock expires.  Sometimes it seems a QB will have a full extra second, but not always. 

With all the high-resolution technology available for almost everything else, why use this subjective approach?  When the play clock expires, sound a horn (like in basketball) and have lights on the sidelines go on, so no one can mistake when the snap is late. This seems like a very easy, and fair, way to go.  

Somebody else here posted the same idea a week ago. I can’t remember who, but will the worthy party stand up and take a bow?

• Like (+1) 1

It's 2023, it's silly that there isn't a dedicated official in the booth that can challenge any call or send word to the refs to throw a flag or reverse a call. The whole coaches challenge system is so dumb as is there being things that aren't reviewable. Just get the calls right and carry on.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, Utah John said:

The NFL has this strange procedure for calling delay of game penalties when the play clock expires.  Sometimes it seems a QB will have a full extra second, but not always. 

With all the high-resolution technology available for almost everything else, why use this subjective approach?  When the play clock expires, sound a horn (like in basketball) and have lights on the sidelines go on, so no one can mistake when the snap is late. This seems like a very easy, and fair, way to go.  

Sorry - I just don’t care that much and I think it is a terrible idea for football.

In basketball it is super annoying when the player clearly shoots the ball and the backboard lights up and a horn goes off for absolutely no reason.

Football - that would be 10x worse.  They snap the ball and the horn sounds and someone stops or the scoreboard flashes and causes a momentary distraction.

the NFL could do a million things - they just don’t care as it does not give a team a true advantage.  

They decided on a legitimate way and they recognize that the start timing is not 100% consistent - so like certain motion penalties- they provide a little leeway to ensure teams get the plays off rather than stopping and adding penalties.

If the NFL wants to really make it a non issue - stop allowing the networks to show the play clock.  

• Disagree 1

30 minutes ago, Simon said:

Those are infractions for which a team can gain a legitimate competitive advantage. One second on the play clock does not fall under that category, imo.

Now this, I am on board with.

To me, having more time to prepare for each play and less yards penalized against you are both legitimate competitive advantages. 

22 minutes ago, bobobonators said:

Im on the fence about it. Yeh the final second is mostly inactivity but the process of the QB reading the defense and setting protection which lead to that final second of inactivity is the important part. Give someone like Mahomes or Allen an extra second to read the defense and that could make a difference.

These guys can get on the line and snap the ball in 10-12 seconds when they want to.

The difference between 40-41 seconds is meaningless, imo.

• Like (+1) 1

24 minutes ago, bobobonators said:

that being said the idea of a shot clock buzzer going off does seem nauseating. But with technology there is for sure a very easy solution out there. 

Yet QBs like Mahomes and Allen - rarely take the play clock down - they try to get the defense in confused states rather than take it down to zero.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Rochesterfan said:

Yet QBs like Mahomes and Allen - rarely take the play clock down - they try to get the defense in confused states rather than take it down to zero.

There’s 30 other QBs in the league… I remember a TD the Dolphins had against us after their play clock had already hit 0. Thought it should’ve been a penalty then and still think it should’ve been one now. 

• Like (+1) 2

2 hours ago, Utah John said:

Great idea. No reason this shouldn't be implemented in the game. I'm going to suggest this on twitter to all the top nfl executives 

The acceptance of the interpretation of this rule is insane. When you see 0, turn your head then see if the ball gets snapped? How is that ok? When it’s 0, it’s s penalty. It’s that simple. It could take a ref any amount of time to look after they see 0. Then whenever they call it is on them basically. The clock is there to count down. When it’s 0, should be a buzzer just like shot clock violation. Not when it’s 0, the ref will then decide how long after to react. Dafuk is that even tolerated 

• Thank you (+1) 1

27 minutes ago, Rochesterfan said:

There have been HOF QBs notorious for bringing the play lock down to zero everytime. But I get what you’re saying. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.