Sound a horn when play clock expires

Utah John

The NFL has this strange procedure for calling delay of game penalties when the play clock expires.  Sometimes it seems a QB will have a full extra second, but not always. 

With all the high-resolution technology available for almost everything else, why use this subjective approach?  When the play clock expires, sound a horn (like in basketball) and have lights on the sidelines go on, so no one can mistake when the snap is late. This seems like a very easy, and fair, way to go.  

• Like (+1) 7
  • Agree 15
  • Awesome! (+1) 10
  • Thank you (+1) 2

2 minutes ago, Utah John said:

The NFL has this strange procedure for calling delay of game penalties when the play clock expires.  Sometimes it seems a QB will have a full extra second, but not always. 

With all the high-resolution technology available for almost everything else, why use this subjective approach?  When the play clock expires, sound a horn (like in basketball) and have lights on the sidelines go on, so no one can mistake when the snap is late. This seems like a very easy, and fair, way to go.  

The one thing I'll say is they are pretty consistent in how they call it. 

Refs don't want to blow the whistle for procedural type penalties like taking an extra second as likely isn't going to in any way affect the play, so tie goes to the runner or in many cases tie plus 1 to 2 seconds.  Wouldn't be surprised if the umpire who I believe is the one who makes that call sees any motion on the centers part that he's starting to snap the ball, they let it go, play on.

13 minutes ago, Utah John said:

I totally agree ! How many times have we all seen the clock hit 0 and the snap occurs after as you have said there are a lot of ways the NFL could implement technology to do away with bad calls that have a direct impact on the outcome of the games .

Chip the ball & have a light on the top of the chains & at the goal line if the ball hits those lines & the light flashes it's a first or a TD . And those spot fowls are terrible & IMHO shouldn't be a automatic 1st down . 

Yes there are ways to improve human imperfection when it comes to play calling & it should be used it would not only speed up & possibly shorten these games but make the playing field much more even across the board !! 

• Disagree 2

18 minutes ago, Simon said:

The repeated pearl clutching over 1 meaningless second of game time never ceases to amaze me.

Do we really give a ***** about this?

If you won’t follow one rule, why do you follow any?   He got one foot in bounds why do you need two? It hit the goal post close enough? Etc….

• Like (+1) 2
  • Haha (+1) 1

52 minutes ago, Simon said:

The repeated pearl clutching over 1 meaningless second of game time never ceases to amaze me.

Do we really give a ***** about this?

100%. 

I give as much of a **** about this as I would if the Dolphins had committed any of the following penalties (that each also result in a 5 yard penalty) 7-8 times without being called for it:

- Encroachment

- False start

- Illegal formation

- Illegal motion

- Illegal shift

- Neutral zone infraction

- Offside

- Running into the kicker

- Too many men on the field

Could you imagine if a team had even 3-4 uncalled clear instances of encroachment, false start, running into the kicker, or too many men? Bedlam.

All for the play clock buzzer personally because adding subjectivity to the referees’ responsibilities is never the right call. 

• Like (+1) 3

1 hour ago, Utah John said:

My god it so simple but it solves everything.  Good idea, I don’t understand how it’s not already a thing.

• Like (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, JohnBonhamRocks said:

- Encroachment

- False start

- Illegal formation

- Illegal motion

- Illegal shift

- Neutral zone infraction

- Offside

- Running into the kicker

- Too many men on the field

Those are infractions for which a team can gain a legitimate competitive advantage. One second on the play clock does not fall under that category, imo.

11 minutes ago, JohnBonhamRocks said:

because adding subjectivity to the referees’ responsibilities is never the right call. 

Now this, I am on board with.

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.