Purdy torn UCL out 6 months, seeking 2nd opinion

Process

2 hours ago, pocoboy said:

They have a lot of mouths to feed contractwise. Let's see if they can keep that OL together, and now that you've had a couple of weeks of real defensive footage on him, it may not be so pretty (or Purdy, if you prefer).

Purdy is a quick decision maker in an offense where not much more is asked of him...........I don't think that will change........but I do hope it does and that it gets harder for him because it was pretty ridiculous how good the 49ers were considering his lack of experience.     I'm not opposed to winning a SB in part because other teams took a step back. 

7 hours ago, BADOLBILZ said:

Purdy is a quick decision maker in an offense where not much more is asked of him...........I don't think that will change........but I do hope it does and that it gets harder for him because it was pretty ridiculous how good the 49ers were considering his lack of experience.     I'm not opposed to winning a SB in part because other teams took a step back. 

2 minutes ago, Beck Water said:

Here's a purdy good explanation of his options

I'm going to donate my stem cells to Josh and Brock to fix those elbows up...going to march into the clinic and demand a cup tomorrow!

• Haha (+1) 1

11 hours ago, Beck Water said:

So it's obviously not a full tear if he thinks it can be re-habbed.    So it wouldn't be surprising if Purdy opts not to have the surgery.    Former Yankee pitcher Masahiro Tanaka had a significantly torn UCL but decided not to have surgery and has been pitching for about 10 years since.    He had to limit the effort in his throws modestly because throwing a baseball puts a lot more stress on the UCL...........but since the motion of throwing a football rarely causes UCL damage on it's own........Purdy might not have to change a thing.

Purdy should just get the surgery and start that clock.

6 months from today is August 1st. He'll be fine for the season, or at least, the vast majority of it. 

The longer he waits the further that calendar gets pushed into the preseason, then the season itself. 

Edited by TheFunPolice
  • Sad 1
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, Gregg said:

No surprise but Shanahan just said Jimmy G won't be coming back to the 49ers. I guess it's the Lance and Purdy show.

Ari Meirov on Twitter: "#49ers HC Kyle Shanahan said today that Jimmy Garoppolo won’t be back next season and he will leave San Francisco when he becomes a free agent this offseason: https://t.co/xLIS2SSLvE" / Twitter

No Lance show...Purdy show all day

Man - this is a tough break for all.  

Obviously it's terrible for him, but how does San Fran deal with this?  He is a flash in the pan type guy - who may turn into a perennial pro bowler - or could turn into Rob Johnson.  Now you have to replace him next year - and assuming you find a good replacement - good luck trading him coming off TJ surgery.  

Will be interesting to watch how they deal with him there.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.