Josh Johnson, former Buffalo Bill

dave mcbride

4 hours ago, Buffalo716 said:

Again you have no idea how he is in the locker room and that’s the difference 

Chase Daniel played for almost 15 years and has less starts then Josh Johnson!

There are always a few long-term back ups who stick around and don’t play… Especially if you have athletic gifts

HIs athleticism make him a better option than most 3rd string QBs

Chase Daniel was a Mizzou Legend however... Very. good QB but a bit undersized!

4 minutes ago, fan_in_tx said:

Chase Daniel was a Mizzou Legend however... Very. good QB but a bit undersized!

Agin that is the role of an nfl backup

chase is better than 99% of QBs alive when you factor in HS College and Pros… But NFL teams will never hitch their wagon to him because of his size and pedigree and traits 

So he has to live the life of a backup quarterback… The difference between him and Ryan Fitzpatrick is situation’s

Edited by Buffalo716

37 minutes ago, Buffalo716 said:

What you don’t realize is a lot of QBs DO NOT want to be QB #3 or 4 especially for years 

especially guys with top 3-4 round pedigree… they grind is too much and they already made some money 

EJ Manuel could hack it as a QB 3-4 for a decade but it’s not even worth it to a guy who made 1st round money and doesn’t cut it 

but a guy like Johnson who only wants to play Football can find a camp because teams always need camp arms and he hasn’t made a ton 

The pool of 3rd 4th string QBs is slim … you are going young or bad with experience 

Oh, I fully get it. You’re just proving my point that he’s a bizarre low-talent unicorn who will literally play for anyone, anywhere, and at any time. That’s what he is, and it’s why he’s both interesting and unique. No need to valorize his “love for the game” (🙄🙄); merely look on in awe at a guy who has more than 20 professional football contracts in 15 years. That’s pretty crazy.

40 minutes ago, Buffalo716 said:

Agin that is the role of an nfl backup

chase is better than 99% of QBs alive when you factor in HS College and Pros… But NFL teams will never hitch their wagon to him because of his size and pedigree and traits 

So he has to live the life of a backup quarterback… The difference between him and Ryan Fitzpatrick is situation’s

Johnson was a D3 guy who only came onto people’s radars because Harbaugh was insanely successful at USD. He is low, low, low talent — which is (again) why his career is interesting. I feel like you’re invested in some sort of “climb every mountain” inspiration story when the simple fact of the matter is that he blows yet has bizarrely managed to hang on by being readily available to any team at any time in moments of injury-related desperation.

• Like (+1) 1

42 minutes ago, dave mcbride said:

Oh, I fully get it. You’re just proving my point that he’s a bizarre low-talent unicorn who will literally play for anyone, anywhere, and at any time. That’s what he is, and it’s why he’s both interesting and unique. No need to valorize his “love for the game” (🙄🙄); merely look on in awe at a guy who has more than 20 professional football contracts in 15 years. That’s pretty crazy.

Johnson was a D3 guy who only came onto people’s radars because Harbaugh was insanely successful at USD. He is low, low, low talent — which is (again) why his career is interesting. I feel like you’re invested in some sort of “climb every mountain” inspiration story when the simple fact of the matter is that he blows yet has bizarrely managed to hang on by being readily available to any team at any time in moments of injury-related desperation.

I agree that he basically sucks for the nfl but the bridge from college to pros is so large he is basically the bridge of camps arms

i just don’t like saying any pro sucks seeing I know how hard it is to make it to that level and they don’t “suck”

Edited by Buffalo716

8 hours ago, dave mcbride said:

Not sure all that many folks remember, but Josh Johnson -- a terrible QB who has somehow managed to last in the league for 15 years (albeit with stints in the United Football League, the Alliance of American Football League, and the XFL) despite a QB rating below the NFL equivalent of the Mendoza line -- did a stint with the Bills in 2015. He was signed mid-season when Tyrod Taylor got hurt and was the primary backup to EJ Manuel in the London game against Jax. We almost got a chance to see him perform given how awful Manuel was in the first half of that game. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Josh_Johnson_(quarterback)

The most amazing thing about him is that he has played for 15 NFL teams

A good number of them were on practice squads or training camps but the important thing is he got to play in a playoff team which Ryan Fitzpatrick did not.

Bring him as backup Josh?  Clearer in beard Fitzpatrick is better and his would be better as backup to Josh Allen's.

Fitzpatrick vs Josh Johnson:

https://stathead.com/football/pcm_finder.cgi?player_id2=FitzRy00&player_id1=JohnJo05&sum=0&request=1

https://i.ibb.co/3WqZsbt/Ryan-vs-Josh.png

Ryan-vs-Josh.png

Sorry if it's beebn said alreadt, but I think part of the reason he hung on so long was that he offered teams a "freakish" array of unusual skills. I think some coaches saw him as a gadget or trick player.  In just the last 10 years or so, NFL offenses have changed so much, across the board. Guys like Michael Vick are much more the norm now. 

• Agree 1

10 hours ago, dave mcbride said:

I dunno, it's more about sports karma than the dollars and cents of it all. I'm not talking about his material well being. Anyway, he has been terrible wherever he's played.  

And yet he sucks. Don't get me wrong, though -- I'm genuinely impressed by how he's managed to keep hanging around. 

Terrible players don’t get paychecks in professional leagues.  He’s not as good as the best QBs, no.  But he’s good enough physically and mentally to keep getting opportunities and earning a better living than most people.   I love it.  Good for him.

4 hours ago, purple haze said:

Terrible players don’t get paychecks in professional leagues.  He’s not as good as the best QBs, no.  But he’s good enough physically and mentally to keep getting opportunities and earning a better living than most people.   I love it.  Good for him.

Terrible professional players judged RELATIVELY TO OTHER PROFESSIONAL PLAYERS and not randos off the street like you or me (i.e., like to like) get pro paychecks all the time. Everything should be judged on a curve, and there is a bell shaped talent distribution curve in every sport. There are always going to be bad players relative to the median player. Bad teams are filled with bad players. It’s why they’re bad. Johnson is one of them, but I do admire how he has survived.

16 hours ago, Buffalo716 said:

It’s not sad or poetic

Do you know how many people would  kill to play for 15 NFL teams?

The dude understand what it takes to be a back up quarterback in the NFL… Most backups don’t

It really has become a position that your ego gets checked at the door.  With the emphasis on protecting qbs most backups act as an extension of the coaching staff and moral support for the starter.  Except for Love in GB there aren’t many backup qbs that are being groomed to take over the spot

7 hours ago, Buftex said:

Sorry if it's beebn said alreadt, but I think part of the reason he hung on so long was that he offered teams a "freakish" array of unusual skills. I think some coaches saw him as a gadget or trick player.  In just the last 10 years or so, NFL offenses have changed so much, across the board. Guys like Michael Vick are much more the norm now. 

I think he was a good player for practices to emulate some opposing players hence reason why he was signed so much and bumped off so much when teams had other needs.  With Veteran practice squad availability he may be still playing for a while but should have practiced snapping and kicking to be true emergency utility player.

13 hours ago, HardyBoy said:

Didn't he have a season with Tampa Bay where he flashed for a bit? Am I crazy for remembering that?

Maybe it was a game or a few, but I thought he did well at one point for a hot minute? 

You might be thinking of Josh FREEMAN.

• Like (+1) 2

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.