Josh Johnson, former Buffalo Bill

dave mcbride

4 minutes ago, billieve420 said:

Bills curse spreading to the other teams. I think I saw former Bills TE Kroft miss a block which ended up getting Purdy hurt and effectively ending whatever chance the 49ers had.

Not sure but I think Kroft had a different guy and held his block for awhile . Only saw the replay once or twice tho 

• Like (+1) 1

15 minutes ago, dave mcbride said:

There are literally hundreds of guys like him over the last decade and a half -- the Levi Browns and Jeff Tuels of the world. They last for a year or two and that's it. 15 teams in 15 years!  

And that's why he hung around, I guess. The numbers are terrible but I guess teams find a reason to believe.

He knows every team's playbook, so in an emergency he can get up to speed faster than someone who has never worked in that team's offense before. 😄

19 minutes ago, dave mcbride said:

He is legit bad! He always has been. I don't doubt that he may have locker room qualities, and the Niners were of course desperate. But guys like that don't last as long as him and -- more to the point -- they don't play for 15 teams! That has to be some sort of record. 

Chase Daniel was actually on more active rosters than Josh and played less

It’s definitely not common… but it happens 

I think Josh was actually only on 10 Gameday rosters… Spread out over 15 years

I don’t even think he was in the league for all 15 years… Off-season member… Future contracts… While making like 10 actual rosters

Edited by Buffalo716

24 minutes ago, dave mcbride said:

He is legit bad! He always has been. I don't doubt that he may have locker room qualities, and the Niners were of course desperate. But guys like that don't last as long as him and -- more to the point -- they don't play for 15 teams! That has to be some sort of record. 

He had a 300 yard game last year on a garbage jets team. There are so many words qbs than him. Blaine Gabbert sucks and for some reason gets to hang around. Matt Barkley has like a 62 qb rating. Chase Daniel has done nothing in the nfl (much less a 300 yard game). Right now, Zach Wilson is worse than Johnson 

normally on board with Dave but I don’t why you singled out Johnson when there are so many worse ones you could have picked. 

• Like (+1) 1

19 minutes ago, Buffalo716 said:

Chase Daniel was actually on more active rosters than Josh and played less

It’s definitely not common… but it happens 

I think Josh was actually only on 10 Gameday rosters… Spread out over 15 years

I don’t even think he was in the league for all 15 years… Off-season member… Future contracts… While making like 10 actual rosters

I agree with @dave mcbride here.

Chase Daniel was actually a legit #2 QB at times during his career........he just didn't play because he wasn't needed.

Josh Johnson was given a chance very early in his career to be a backup(as the Jeff Tuel types do until people realize they got nothing and never will).

But otherwise Josh Johnson is and has always been a #4 quality QB........meaning the "off roster" option. 

His career is remarkable for this.........there isn't a comp, IMO.

• Thank you (+1) 1

Just now, BADOLBILZ said:

I agree with @dave mcbride here.

Chase Daniel was actually a legit #2 QB at times during his career........he just didn't play because he wasn't needed.

Josh Johnson was given a chance very early in his career to be a backup(as the Jeff Tuel types do until people realize they got nothing and never will).

But otherwise Josh Johnson is and has always been a #4 quality QB........meaning the "off roster" option. 

His career is remarkable for this.........there isn't a comp, IMO.

I don’t think I ever said Johnson was better than Daniel … not once 

what I did was show that he isn’t the only QB to bounce around for a decade plus without ever having a serious chance to play a lot 

in fact he did get more chances than chase and he’s worse

37 minutes ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

He had a 300 yard game last year on a garbage jets team. There are so many words qbs than him. Blaine Gabbert sucks and for some reason gets to hang around. Matt Barkley has like a 62 qb rating. Chase Daniel has done nothing in the nfl (much less a 300 yard game). Right now, Zach Wilson is worse than Johnson 

normally on board with Dave but I don’t why you singled out Johnson when there are so many worse ones you could have picked. 

See above -- most of those yards came when the Jets fell behind 42-10. And I singled him out because -- to repeat -- he not only played for the Bills, he has played for FIFTEEN EFFING TEAMS! He's way worse than you seem to think, btw. A couple of garbage-time yardage accumulation situations in 2021 do not a good QB make.

Edited by dave mcbride

1 minute ago, Buffalo716 said:

I don’t think I ever said Johnson was better than Daniel … not once 

what I did was show that he isn’t the only QB to bounce around for a decade plus without ever having a serious chance to play a lot 

in fact he did get more chances than chase and he’s worse

Yeah I think the disagreement is that there are a lot of Josh Johnsons.

I don't think there is a comparable example.  

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, billieve420 said:

Bills curse spreading to the other teams. I think I saw former Bills TE Kroft miss a block which ended up getting Purdy hurt and effectively ending whatever chance the 49ers had.

Pufnstuf missed a block?!  That's unpossible!

'Couldn't do a little 'cause he couldn't do enough'. 🙁

1 hour ago, dave mcbride said:

Yet he was and is still better than EJ, that’s why he is still in the league.

• Haha (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Rico said:

Yet he was and is still better than EJ, that’s why he is still in the league.

I don't think better at quarterbacking (he's bad!), but certainly better at surviving (think cockroach and nuclear attack) and better at answering the emergency call when QB 2 goes down for whatever team.

• Haha (+1) 1

12 minutes ago, HardyBoy said:

Didn't he have a season with Tampa Bay where he flashed for a bit? Am I crazy for remembering that?

Maybe it was a game or a few, but I thought he did well at one point for a hot minute? 

He was 0-5 with Tampa and had a collective passer rating of 60 (5 tds, 10 ints).

10 minutes ago, John from Riverside said:

Has made millions of dollars doing what he loves that makes him a winner

No doubt, but he is the opposite of good. He’s a true unicorn and I feel deserving of a documentary. Again, 15 NFL teams. That is insane.

17 minutes ago, dave mcbride said:

He was 0-5 with Tampa and had a collective passer rating of 60 (5 tds, 10 ints).

No doubt, but he is the opposite of good. He’s a true unicorn and I feel deserving of a documentary. Again, 15 NFL teams. That is insane.

What you don’t realize is a lot of QBs DO NOT want to be QB #3 or 4 especially for years 

especially guys with top 3-4 round pedigree… they grind is too much and they already made some money 

EJ Manuel could hack it as a QB 3-4 for a decade but it’s not even worth it to a guy who made 1st round money and doesn’t cut it 

but a guy like Johnson who only wants to play Football can find a camp because teams always need camp arms and he hasn’t made a ton 

The pool of 3rd 4th string QBs is slim … you are going young or bad with experience 

Edited by Buffalo716

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.