Dust has settled...Alphas look at what lies ahead

Alphadawg7

The Bills are a good team but not really good.  That's what the Bengals loss told me.  The Chiefs Oline gave Mahomes time to throw against Bengals.  The Chiefs defensive line got pressure on Burrow.  The Chiefs provided a blueprint on how to beat them.  Bills need to getmore stout up front on both sides of the ball but I'm hoping for strong focus on oline.

Just now, DCbillsfan said:

The Bills are a good team but not really good.  That's what the Bengals loss told me.  The Chiefs Oline gave Mahomes time to throw against Bengals.  The Chiefs defensive line got pressure on Burrow.  The Chiefs provided a blueprint on how to beat them.  Bills need to getmore stout up front on both sides of the ball but I'm hoping for strong focus on oline.

The oline is a consensus top need across the board. Let's hope we have the resources to get it done. I think there has to be a willingness to sacrifice some pieces on D to make sure you can invest properly.

1 hour ago, Bill from NYC said:

Nice work AD!

I hope that McDermott doesn't screw up another draft and make the team worse.

And that is the real issue.  What is McD's job?  Now he is responsible for the draft too (which many think is the case)? 

His job is to ensure everyone is on the same page.  He royally f'd up 13 seconds (and too used timeouts and still couldn't get it right).  

Is it to have the team ready to play an important game (blew it vs. Cincy)?

Yes a Defensive HC is going to be judged more for the teams performance on that side of the ball and when push comes to shove the defense is what let's the Bills down.  

11 hours ago, Momma Pecoraro said:

Wasn’t it your HC that called for the kick off instead of the squib? 

McDermott choked away the best shot for a ring. Win last year and team could purge high priced assets in decline and focus on building cost controlled players.  

No extending a 28 year old battered receiver by $100 mil or  signing of a declining pass rusher at exorbitant cost. 

Exactly right!!!!

52 minutes ago, Dr. Who said:

The oline is a consensus top need across the board. Let's hope we have the resources to get it done. I think there has to be a willingness to sacrifice some pieces on D to make sure you can invest properly.

They have the resources.  It might require contract restructures if they want to sign a FA oline guy but they have draft picks.  To me, it's their philosophy regarding the oline that needs to change.  They don't prioritize it enough imo.

• Like (+1) 1

16 hours ago, Billsfan1972 said:

Why are us fans beating ourselves up?  The seasons over and we have 'til September to see what moves the Bills make and what they look like come 2023.

What makes it funny is while the majority here have major concerns about Frazier and many are just hoping that Dorsey's shortcomings are due to him being a rookie OC, McD for most escapes criticism (or it is contentious).

As long as Allen is the QB, the Bills have a punchers chance, but will 12-5 and another loss in round two be okay?  Or does that mean that then Frazier or Dorsey go.

That's the scary part.  If the Bills are very good again (i.e. 12+ victories and a playoff loss) does anything change?

As one of McD's biggest detractors, I'm a Bills fan and would have happily eaten crow for a Bills championship, but from week 8 on, any negative post/thread was met with scorn here.

What is most peculiar too, is those who were deriding those posts earlier are now the one's saying  "Too many injuries to overcome", "we're a bad match-up vs. Cincy" & "we're not elite". 

I for one always and continue to think the Bills are the best team in the NFL.

I guess the good news is that the Bills ended the year right where they did in 2021/22 and it was Cincy taking a step back (no SB).     

You should read the board again. People want McDermotts head

Man I respect the detail but you could have wrapped this up in about 3 or 4 paragraphs…

Mcdermott and Frasiers scheme is too easy to gameplan against anymore.

Josh needs help with 2 more receivers and two more linemen 

Beane is finally getting pressed about his draft decisions and it really is a make or break year for him.

There ya go 

Edited by 78thealltimegreat

22 minutes ago, Billsfan1972 said:

And that is the real issue.  What is McD's job?  Now he is responsible for the draft too (which many think is the case)? 

His job is to ensure everyone is on the same page.  He royally f'd up 13 seconds (and too used timeouts and still couldn't get it right).  

Is it to have the team ready to play an important game (blew it vs. Cincy)?

Yes a Defensive HC is going to be judged more for the teams performance on that side of the ball and when push comes to shove the defense is what let's the Bills down.  

Do count me as one who firmly believes that McDermott is far more powerful than Beane. He proved it before Beane even got here by putting on his dunce cap and trading the pick for Mahomes to draft a (possibly now finished) cornerback. McDermott probably had a great interview with the Pegulas, especially when he co-opted the term "process" and acted as if he invented it. Last year of course, he traded up for another first round corner to play in a zone, and most of his drafts were focused on defense, despite having a great young quarterback in an offense based league/sport. How much proof does one need?

Pat Kirwan on Sirius says all the time that when he was GM and Pete Carroll was head coach, Carroll was "his boss." It isn't so unusual.

What makes McDermott look good is the parade of coaches we had before him who ranged from so-so to out and out shockingly horrible, and I am going back longer than most fans would agree to.

It doesn't matter what I think but imo McDermott needs to go. He will certainly stay and I hope that he proves me to be dead ass wrong.

As always, jmo.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 2
  • Dislike 1

54 minutes ago, Rebel101 said:

You should read the board again. People want McDermotts head

No, just a few of us here.  The majority still think he just needs at worst a tweak or two.  They still think he turned water into wine when hired.  I keep pointing out that the Bills lost in OT in week 16 to be eliminated (and Rex then fired) and the Bills lost week 17 to go 7-9.  McD then became a hero going 9-7 and Andy Dalton getting the Bills into the playoffs.😉

29 minutes ago, Bill from NYC said:

Do count me as one who firmly believes that McDermott is far more powerful than Beane. He proved it before Beane even got here by putting on his dunce cap and trading the pick for Mahomes to draft a (possibly now finished) cornerback. McDermott probably had a great interview with the Pegulas, especially when he co-opted the term "process" and acted as if he invented it. Last year of course, he traded up for another first round corner to play in a zone, and most of his drafts were focused on defense, despite having a great young quarterback in an offense based league/sport. How much proof does one need?

Pat Kirwan on Sirius says all the time that when he was GM and Pete Carroll was head coach, Carroll was "his boss." It isn't so unusual.

What makes McDermott look good is the parade of coaches we had before him who ranged from so-so to out and out shockingly horrible, and I am going back longer than most fans would agree to.

It doesn't matter what I think but imo McDermott needs to go. He will certainly stay and I hope that he proves me to be dead ass wrong.

As always, jmo.

I've said the same, but unless it is a 10-7 SB (and that throughout the playoffs), I'm pretty sure it will be because of Allen.  

I will however give McDermott some credit.🤣

• Like (+1) 1

There’s plenty of blame to go around for the loss to the Bengals but it’s pure revisionist history to put it all on the defense. Despite another slow start, the Bills were still very much in the game well into the third quarter, but the offense (which had almost no injuries by the way) simply couldn’t move the chains, stay on the field, or score any points after a lousy field goal to open the second half. Pathetic! 

Edited by SoCal Deek
  • Like (+1) 1

20 hours ago, Alphadawg7 said:

This would be my offseason plan, although that is not entirely true...my offseason plan would be to move on from BOTH Frazier and Dorsey and give McD one last year to get us over the hump before he hits the hot seat too.  But, given it doesn't feel like either is going anywhere, I would say minimize our overhead on defense since it didn't help us the last 4 playoff exits and invest heavy into the offense.   Who we draft will be a direct reflection of who we sign in FA prior...for example, if we sign Foreman at RB that makes drafting a RB less of a priority.  

NOTE: McDermott had my absolute full support before last season began.

They aren't going to move on from either DC or OC, and that bodes ill for the future... we may be stuck with a team with lame duck coaches if they disappoint again. Teams below us are improving and NFC teams are making moves that we should be making. I predict that 2023 will be a lost season because of this blunder unless Beane REALLY hits this offseason with FA targets and the draft. It's our only hope for the future because it sure looks dark and cloudy with McDermott, Frazier and Dorsey.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, EasternOHBillsFan said:

NOTE: McDermott had my absolute full support before last season began.

They aren't going to move on from either DC or OC, and that bodes ill for the future... we may be stuck with a team with lame duck coaches if they disappoint again. Teams below us are improving and NFC teams are making moves that we should be making. I predict that 2023 will be a lost season because of this blunder unless Beane REALLY hits this offseason with FA targets and the draft. It's our only hope for the future because it sure looks dark and cloudy with McDermott, Frazier and Dorsey.

So I do think if Dorsey cuts down on the crazy and actually tries to get Allen in rhythm and allows him to stay there throughout the game. Allen alone with this roster can win us a SB. But the playcalling has to be damn near perfect. Allen has shown he can control the game he just has to be put into position to do so & not feel like it all comes down to the final 2 minutes. Allow him to get up by 25 going into the half n keep the gas on. Frazier won’t matter 

7 hours ago, Xwnyer said:

Not a pretty picture I really see a 8-9 season or worse coming unless Beane can work magic however Fraser and Dorsey are holding this team back.   

I don't think its that bleek, We will still win 10-12 games next year IMHO, but that may have us mid pack in the AFC instead of the conference leader.

16 hours ago, Momma Pecoraro said:

Wasn’t it your HC that called for the kick off instead of the squib? 

McDermott choked away the best shot for a ring. Win last year and team could purge high priced assets in decline and focus on building cost controlled players.  

No extending a 28 year old battered receiver by $100 mil or  signing of a declining pass rusher at exorbitant cost. 

McD called a squib...ST Coordinator then screwed up and told everyone but Bass, who was warming up at the net.  ST Coordinator stepped down rather than be fired and took the same position with the Jags.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.