Allen’s Elbow - Golfing

Thrivefourfive

7 minutes ago, Thrivefourfive said:

Golf/tennis elbow is a thing. From golfing and playing tennis. He definitely doesn’t hit it terribly. He’s actually pretty good considering. Sounds like you haven’t experienced the injury, and that’s great. But it is a thing, for good golfers. 

I’m righty and needed to have chipped bone spurs removed from my left elbow because of too many range mat sessions. I’ve also had golfers elbow (happens in the right arm for us righties). Been a plus handicap, so it does happen.

But again, glad to hear from this board that Safford is the reason Josh has no pain in his right elbow and can have what is shaping up to be a full off season of golf, coming off what was a mid season throwing elbow injury. More power to JA17. Enjoy the links.

(Pebble can hurt a man. Physically. Trust me.)

Actually I did have this happen to me.  Being lefty, was my left arm, fairly mild case went away in a few weeks.  Seemed to come from hitting behind the ball too often and hitting the ground.   But that was kind of my point, if you have decent swing and are pretty good, the front arm is doing most of the work.

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, zow2 said:

Oh dang, He has a swing and some serious power.

I wonder if he will get tired of this football thing after a few years of getting beaten up and try his hand at golf full time.  He seems to love it.

He has said that golf is his favorite thing to do and if he could, he'd play every day.

On the other hand, he's also said that he loves playing football.  Still, I think it's a serious question especially if he keeps getting the ***** beaten out of him, playing through injury, and feeling like he has to carry the team.  That's fundamentally what wore down Andrew Luck and lead to his early retirement, I think.

Golf requires zero athletic ability... see John Daly and 80 year olds mid afternoon. 

If you are golfing for any other reason to pound some beers with the boys on a nice day you are doing it wrong. 

Challenge yourself, but have fun, don't take it too seriously. 

Josh can golf all he wants. He didn't miss a game he received plenty of treatment and will continue to. 

Edited by ArtVandalay
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Dislike 3

8 minutes ago, Beck Water said:

He has said that golf is his favorite thing to do and if he could, he'd play every day.

On the other hand, he's also said that he loves playing football.  Still, I think it's a serious question especially if he keeps getting the ***** beaten out of him, playing through injury, and feeling like he has to carry the team.  That's fundamentally what wore down Andrew Luck and lead to his early retirement, I think.

All valid points.  And let's be real...this man is gifted at sports.  If he wants to get really good at golf, and hang out on the celebrity circuit someday and Pro Am's, etc.. I'm sure he will with no regrets.  Obviously, for him, hanging out with NFL'ers for a weekend of backyard sports competitions holds no allure for him.

• Haha (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 minute ago, zow2 said:

All valid points.  And let's be real...this man is gifted at sports.  If he wants to get really good at golf, and hang out on the celebrity circuit someday and Pro Am's, etc.. I'm sure he will with no regrets.  Obviously, for him, hanging out with NFL'ers for a weekend of backyard sports competitions holds no allure for him.

and he could be tired of football and likes to golf

I’m a golfer. I play 75 or so rounds a year.  I’m a 6.8 handicap right now. In my younger years I got as low as 5. I’m actually going to play tomorrow! I’ve had golfer’s elbow. 

A golf swing is nothing to worry about. The right elbow is active in the swing, but it doesn’t really absorb any shock from taking a divot. And golfer’s elbow is different from a ucl injury. 

Power and speed in the golf swing comes from unhinging the wrists and uncoiling your torso, not swinging as hard as you can. If you take a violent swing to try to hit it further you probably suck at golf. 

if anything, time away from “work” is probably a great thing for Josh. Recharging is the best thing for him. This year was intense. He deserves a break. 

Plus, golf is awesome. A lot if the timing and rhythm aspects of golf translate well from playing qb to golf. The mental aspect, too. Golf can only help. 

Now if you were to tell me he was going to hit 1000 balls of those green driving range mats, I’d say he should never do that. Those things suck, and I will never hit irons off those. They caused over a year of left elbow and wrist issues for me. They are stupid and they suck. 

• Like (+1) 6

On 1/30/2023 at 3:11 PM, Thrivefourfive said:

What’s the update on the most important body part in WNY?

Need our doctors and physical therapists people to help me understand what Allen had/has(?) and how or if it plays into a golf swing.. please. It’s a legitimate question here.

I don’t know if any of you are golfers, but a damaged right elbow can be no-go. I don’t mind the man doing what he likes doing, but sore tendons/ligaments will 100% get worse with golf swings if in fact his injury is felt during swings. Rest of the only real complete recover for the long term.

A golf sw8ng and a football throw have nothing in common.  You don’t mofve your elbows when you swing.

45 minutes ago, todd said:

I’m a golfer. I play 75 or so rounds a year.  I’m a 6.8 handicap right now. In my younger years I got as low as 5. I’m actually going to play tomorrow! I’ve had golfer’s elbow. 

A golf swing is nothing to worry about. The right elbow is active in the swing, but it doesn’t really absorb any shock from taking a divot. And golfer’s elbow is different from a ucl injury. 

Power and speed in the golf swing comes from unhinging the wrists and uncoiling your torso, not swinging as hard as you can. If you take a violent swing to try to hit it further you probably suck at golf. 

if anything, time away from “work” is probably a great thing for Josh. Recharging is the best thing for him. This year was intense. He deserves a break. 

Plus, golf is awesome. A lot if the timing and rhythm aspects of golf translate well from playing qb to golf. The mental aspect, too. Golf can only help. 

Now if you were to tell me he was going to hit 1000 balls of those green driving range mats, I’d say he should never do that. Those things suck, and I will never hit irons off those. They caused over a year of left elbow and wrist issues for me. They are stupid and they suck. 

Its same with throwing football. If try to throw violent with raw arm strength then probably throwing a turd. Its about the hips and the rotation not that disimilar fundamentally

• Like (+1) 1

On 1/30/2023 at 5:05 PM, The Frankish Reich said:

I’m not about to criticize the man for playing a round or four of golf is he feels fine to do it. But … remember the stories about how Josh kicked back and didn’t think about football at all last offseason?  You may be on to something here. Perhaps just a tiny bit too comfortable with where he and the Bills really were this season. 

I'd be more Inclined to think this if he didn't get off to a blazing start to the year. Through the first 6 games he was the front runner for MVP and on pace to break or come close to all sorts of records. The Green Bay game is where his play started to decline, committing 8 turnovers in a 3 week span.

On 1/30/2023 at 3:11 PM, Thrivefourfive said:

What’s the update on the most important body part in WNY?

Need our doctors and physical therapists people to help me understand what Allen had/has(?) and how or if it plays into a golf swing.. please. It’s a legitimate question here.

I don’t know if any of you are golfers, but a damaged right elbow can be no-go. I don’t mind the man doing what he likes doing, but sore tendons/ligaments will 100% get worse with golf swings if in fact his injury is felt during swings. Rest of the only real complete recover for the long term.

On 1/30/2023 at 4:29 PM, loveorhatembillsfan4life said:

Interesting he was pretty hush about the Pro Bowl when Kyle Brandt asked him if he was going to attend or even head back to California.  Not surprised too see he is already over there and  gearing up to play THE At&T Pebble Pro Am.

From my point of view let it heal over the offseason and I kind of hope he goes back to Jordan Palmer. The year he worked out with him he came back with better footwork and was really moving defenders with his eyes.   This year he didn't work with him and I thought he got a little bit sloppy at times. Also it could very well be attributed to a bad O-Line and having no confidence they would provide him time.. 

If golfing had any harmful affects on his elbow issues and Sean/Beane allowed it, that would be a fireable offense. They had to know about it for weeks. The guy’s making 40 million a year, you’d think he has an obligation to the medical staff to do what they suggest.

The ESPN+ PGA Tour Live feed had some good coverage of Josh on Thursday.  HIs game definitely looked better than it did back in the spring/summer when he played in the "The Match" with the other QBs.  Anyone know where he plays in the Buffalo area during the Summer/Fall?  Just curious.

As an aside, I had the opportunity to play Torrey Pines earlier this week under "tournament conditions" following last week's Tour event.  The setups (rough and pin positions) these guys play under are pretty damn tough.  Hard to believe these guys make any birdies let alone shoot 10+ strokes under par.

• Eyeroll 1

6 hours ago, djp14150 said:

A golf sw8ng and a football throw have nothing in common.  You don’t mofve your elbows when you swing.

Actually, your left elbow might bend a bit, and your right elbow bends a heck of a lot. But your right elbow isn/t used to generate power.

1 hour ago, TheBrownBear said:

The ESPN+ PGA Tour Live feed had some good coverage of Josh on Thursday.  HIs game definitely looked better than it did back in the spring/summer when he played in the "The Match" with the other QBs.  Anyone know where he plays in the Buffalo area during the Summer/Fall?  Just curious.

As an aside, I had the opportunity to play Torrey Pines earlier this week under "tournament conditions" following last week's Tour event.  The setups (rough and pin positions) these guys play under are pretty damn tough.  Hard to believe these guys make any birdies let alone shoot 10+ strokes under par.

Yeah, played TPC Scottsdale around tournament time. Holy crap, the bombs those guys hit. Some of those carries are insane. 

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.