Mitch Morse, when to move on

BeastMode54

46 minutes ago, NewEra said:

It’s a pretty terrible center class imo.  

if he retires, hopefully we can move bates to C and add 2 OGS.  

we really need Morse back imo.  

Curious how some would feel in the scenario if we lose Morse and they decide addressing other parts of the OL like G/LT-RT positions and feel confident Bates can take over as starter?

I know we have seen Bates come in at C at times and played fairly well. But I'm not sure if those few games we have seen is enough to feel confident. It's just a "what if" type of thing and was curious how some would feel

• Like (+1) 1

When his contract expires.  I wouldn't extend it or sign him to a new deal.  This would be the year, though, to develop a future starting center.  

IMO, if he wants to play with his history of concussions, that's his decision.  

25 minutes ago, Patrick Duffy said:

Curious how some would feel in the scenario if we lose Morse and they decide addressing other parts of the OL like G/LT-RT positions and feel confident Bates can take over as starter?

I know we have seen Bates come in at C at times and played fairly well. But I'm not sure if those few games we have seen is enough to feel confident. It's just a "what if" type of thing and was curious how some would feel

I don’t have much confidence in Bates anywhere.  As is, we know is not a good guard.  Maybe he suffered this year because he was playing next to Brown as opposed Dawkins last year.  Maybe he’s just a better LG than RG?  Maybe he’ll be a better center.  One thing we know, he wasn’t good this season playing RG

1 hour ago, corta765 said:

So if you think there is a guy in the draft that can be your guy long term and you think Bates can do fine for a year or two as you grow that player then move on from Morse OR ask for contract restructure. 

I do not disagree he is older despite playing well and another concussion could be it,  but you can't just up and cut him considering how important he has been for Josh. We all remember the glorious Russ Bodine experiment!

I'd like to draft a center prospect, get Morse to restructure.& have him play guard. 

• Like (+1) 1

How they accomplish it, I don't necessarily care, but they need a viable plan at Center.  Morse is a good player and seems like a good dude, but he's on the wrong side of 30 and has a history of concussions.  They have to expect that he's going to miss some games next year and that he is nearing the end of the line.  If Bates is the plan, that's fine, but they need to draft some interior OL.  If Bates is not the plan, they need to draft interior OL who can play center.  Interior OL, WR, and Safety have to be their top 3 draft priorities, not necessarily in that order.  I'm have my doubts about Poyer and Hamlin being on the roster next year and Hyde will probably be back, but is also on the wrong side of 30 and will probably miss some games.  I'd like to see Poyer back, but cap-wise, and health-wise, it may not make a lot of sense.

From a health perspective I hope Morse calls it quits himself and the Bills do the Aaron Williams thing and force him to ride off into the sunset. 

But from a team/positional perspective, I hope he stays. Yes letting him go frees up cash. But we have major issues on the OL without any cap dollars to spend on it. The staff hasn't done a great job of getting rookies up to speed quickly. I would rather keep Morse and have Bates in our back pocket than rolling the dice with some rookie and FA. 

30 minutes ago, NewEra said:

I don’t have much confidence in Bates anywhere.  As is, we know is not a good guard.  Maybe he suffered this year because he was playing next to Brown as opposed Dawkins last year.  Maybe he’s just a better LG than RG?  Maybe he’ll be a better center.  One thing we know, he wasn’t good this season playing RG

I get it...reason I brought up the question is because I recall there were many people that said Bates did well at C in those few games Morse was out. 

• Like (+1) 1

Interesting this topic was brought up as I had a client call me up today who is in his 40's. Told me he suffered his 6th concession (this one taking a soccer ball to the head) and his DR is worried about Brain Swelling. Says it is really affecting him in his day to day activities now. Amazing these guys can just continue to come back banging heads over and over..

Just want to point out the concussion thing can be misleading....people think they have information but in reality you have very little.   Most guys try to hide their concussions and when they happen, they put themselves at bigger risk but they are undocumented so guy A has had 0 concussions...his head is fine, or so everyone thinks!  There could be another guy who takes concussions more serious and is not afraid to speak up and do what is right for themselves, he has 6 documented concussions and everyone thinks his head is mush when in reality he could be better off than the guys hiding them.   There are a lot more hidden concussions that documented concussions.  Sure when a guy is knocked out we all know that happened but most are not that variety.  There have been many former players talk about how they got around the protocol, it is real and it happens a lot.  Guys do not want to miss time because in the heat of the moment they want to be there for their teammates or in some cases, maybe many they fear getting cut out of the league since availability is important to teams.  

Soccer players get CTE from heading the ball, how many documented concussions do we know of from heading a soccer ball?

Edited by Matt_In_NH

38 minutes ago, Trock said:

Concussions are no big deal.  I think he’ll play two more years. Then retire a Bill. 

Do you mean like…..”minor surgery” is surgery done on somebody else? 

This is a decision for Mitch and his family to ponder. 

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.