Mitch Morse, when to move on

BeastMode54

Morse has been solid imo but I reallyI thought he was going to retire two concussions ago.   I hope we draft or sign Mitch’s replacement and he goes and lives his best life outside of football for his family’s sake. On a side note I met Eric Wood in the parking lot at MetLife last season.  I was pretty inebriated but i remember him being super nice to the family and myself, shame what the injures did to his career. 

Just now, Trock said:

He’s good. We don’t have to make another hole.  You want him gone?

I’m not a concussion expert. Silly me thinking these concussion/CTE concerns are always a serious matter. 

If Morse is willing to risk it, that is his business. I wish him well and a long healthy life.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, ProcessTruster said:

Boettger is another injury casualty who was really coming on b4 blowing the achilles at the end of last season.  All reports are he is good to go and rehab was a big success.   He'll be in the mix for a starting job next year as will Tommy Doyle.  Plus Spencer Brown will have a normal offseason/OTA/camp for the first time.   

Not convinced the Bills don't have 2 or 3 guys coming back strong next year who we never saw at full strength (or at all ) this past season.   Rough season for injuries for this team.   

the boettger's of the world are why were here where we are. no more "this should be ok enough". any one of these guys are fine to make the roster, but should have to fight top shelf talent (day 1-3 drafts) to get a start.

not just OTAs.

not just in TC.

EVERY. F'N. WEEK. bad game? next man up, fight for it again next week. ruthless business decisions every week, get some hunger in that room. cause i dont see it

that OL room is putrid

He’s a soft, finesse player who now costs a lot and has had many concussions.

Beane has to be ruthless and cut him. Save money and actually build this line. The fact that he didn’t draft his replacement last year was disappointing. 

John Michael Schmitz-C Minnesota 6’4 320. Tough, smart, tone setter, leader. He should be Josh Allen’s Center for the rest of his career. 

On Day 1 he would be a Top 5 Center in this league and he’s my first round choice this year. 

Nick Broeker-LG Ole Miss 6’5 315 is another tough son of a gun who instantly transforms our OL from pushovers to a high end unit even as a rookie. 

I’d also sign Evan Brown-iOL and Taylor Lewan-RT who will be a cap casualty this season. 

Brett Veach transformed the Chiefs OL after that embarrassing Super Bowl loss in one offseason. We could do it too if we were clever and had any ambition. 

The fact that he already gave Spencer Brown a vote of confidence is a bad sign. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

2 hours ago, buffalostu2 said:

Doesn't sound like you thought this through?   

This is a Cole Beasley situation.  Adjust your 11 mil or walk.   He's not getting close to that on the open market when he has 7 concussions and misses games every year.  Nothing gets pushed out.  One year deal and comes back at 7 or 8 hopefully

You said “restructure” which specifically means keeping compensation the same but changing its structure. Usually that means converting salary or a roster bonus into a signing bonus to delay the cap hit. 

What you mean is that you want him to take a pay cut. I don’t have any issue with that, but if he said “no” we’d probably have to part ways with him and find a FA C to replace him. He’s due a roster bonus on the 3rd day of the league year so it would have to be done before then. I’d like to see a new OG and competition at RT so that could mean 3 new starters on the OL. That might not be optimal, but I’d be open to it. 

Another way to go would be to draft a player this year who (hopefully) will be his replacement next year and part ways next offseason. That obviously would work with or without going down the pay cut path.

5 hours ago, Trock said:

He’s good. We don’t have to make another hole.  You want him gone?

Imagine if the “old lady” was that annoying where she would get in the way of a pro player’s career? 

Or she just wants him healthy and see his kids grow up without becoming a CTE wackjob

8 hours ago, RyanC883 said:

def need to draft a G/C.  Patterson from ND looks like the perfect fit.  Can play G, then move to C.  (played C at ND, gave up 0 sacks through Jr. year, can't find Sr. year stats yet.)  

I also like Voorhees and Tippmann as options.

10 hours ago, John from Riverside said:

I would not be shocked to see Morse cut

They save $6 million by doing it

And we have Ryan Bates on the roster

Draft some lineman

Is there any savings on the cap hit if he retires versus being cut?

• Like (+1) 1

15 hours ago, MrEpsYtown said:

I think he stays until he decides to go. He is a high level player and an important cog in the OL. I think they should extend him actually. 

I don't think these guys are interesting in drafting a pure center. They value that versatility. Mitch Morse was a LT at Mizzou who moved to center as a pro. Same for Ryan Bates, a LT at PSU who moved to guard whose best position is probably center. Greg Van Roten was a LT at UPenn who moved to guard as a pro and the Bills had him cross train at center. They had Ike Boettger learn to snap in training camp a few years ago. 

Just find the best linemen you can find and figure it out. 

I realize he means alot  to the Oline but he is horrible in the run game . Every game he misses whether it was Felicano or Bates replacing him we always ran the ball much better in those games. Now when it comes to making the line calls and pass pro u won’t find much better then Morse.  I believe Bates can be our future center so why not get that start now let’s draft Oline heavy this yr and move on from Morse. 

16 hours ago, MrEpsYtown said:

I think he stays until he decides to go. He is a high level player and an important cog in the OL. I think they should extend him actually. 

I don't think these guys are interesting in drafting a pure center. They value that versatility. Mitch Morse was a LT at Mizzou who moved to center as a pro. Same for Ryan Bates, a LT at PSU who moved to guard whose best position is probably center. Greg Van Roten was a LT at UPenn who moved to guard as a pro and the Bills had him cross train at center. They had Ike Boettger learn to snap in training camp a few years ago. 

Just find the best linemen you can find and figure it out. 

Boettger is another injury casualty who was really coming on b4 blowing the achilles at the end of last season.  All reports are he is good to go and rehab was a big success.   He'll be in the mix for a starting job next year as will Tommy Doyle.  Plus Spencer Brown will have a normal offseason/OTA/camp for the first time.   

Not convinced the Bills don't have 2 or 3 guys coming back strong next year who we never saw at full strength (or at all ) this past season.   Rough season for injuries for this team.   

• Like (+1) 1

16 hours ago, buffalostu2 said:

Doesn't sound like you thought this through?   

This is a Cole Beasley situation.  Adjust your 11 mil or walk.   He's not getting close to that on the open market when he has 7 concussions and misses games every year.  Nothing gets pushed out.  One year deal and comes back at 7 or 8 hopefully

His salary isn't $11M. It's $6.6M salary in 2023 and a $1.42M roster bonus (Or 1.8M on Overthecap). His cap hit is around $11.3M, but he's already received $3M of that in his signing bonus

Also, that's not called a re-structure. It's a salary cut or decrease. Re-structure generally means the same money paid along a different schedule.

But forced salary decreases work a lot better when you've got the leverage. With Beasley they knew they'd be happy to let him go and thought they'd find someone to replace him at the same level easily. Unfortunately, Crowder was injured the whole season. With Morse I'm not sure they feel they have the leverage. They'Ve got Bates on the roster but would have to replace him at guard if they put him at center. And while Bates has played OK at center I'm not sure they feel all that confident he'd play at the same level. We may see, I guess.

Edited by Thurman#1
  • Like (+1) 1

12 hours ago, John from Riverside said:

I would not be shocked to see Morse cut

They save $6 million by doing it

And we have Ryan Bates on the roster

Draft some lineman

They don't save $6M by doing it. He has $6M remaining in dead money. Compare that with $8.25M in cash due (overthecap.com). If he is cut he'd be cut before the first day of the league year to avoid some money guaranteeing and such, so a lot of that dead money could be pushed to the 2024 cap, but it would HAVE to be paid that year. We don't save much overall by cutting him.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, LyndonvilleBill said:

Is there any savings on the cap hit if he retires versus being cut?

Only theoretically.

The Bills could theoretically try to go after part of his signing bonus. But they have shown zero interest in doing that to guys who have genuinely given their all. 

They might have done it with Vontae Davis, after his halftime retirement, but Vontae came voluntarily and returned it.

With the concussion concerns, I greatly doubt the Bills would try that move. It would look absolutely vicious and would not play well in the locker room.

• Like (+1) 1

10 hours ago, RyanC883 said:

def need to draft a G/C.  Patterson from ND looks like the perfect fit.  Can play G, then move to C.  (played C at ND, gave up 0 sacks through Jr. year, can't find Sr. year stats yet.)  

This seems to me like a great fit. Hope they do this with someone in the first two days, maybe even the first two rounds.

• Agree 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.