Mitch Morse, when to move on

BeastMode54

2 hours ago, BeastMode54 said:

Whether he is here next year or not, the guy has had 7 concussions, and we haven't drafted a center since Eric Woods. I know LG, RG and RT are positions that get talked about as far as upgrading. But Center has to be a high priority

He has a wife, young kids, and money. Hard to believe the old ladys not in his ear telling him to retire. My guess would be he will make the Bills release him in order to keep his guaranteed money? Not entirely sure how that works, but 7 concussions he cant possibly think its smart to keep playing. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Patrick Duffy said:

Curious how some would feel in the scenario if we lose Morse and they decide addressing other parts of the OL like G/LT-RT positions and feel confident Bates can take over as starter?

I know we have seen Bates come in at C at times and played fairly well. But I'm not sure if those few games we have seen is enough to feel confident. It's just a "what if" type of thing and was curious how some would feel

I don't feel confident in Bates as a long-term answer at C. 

My ideal would be to draft the biggest, brawliest C/G we can this season, let him play G and learn this year, and move him to C next year.

1 hour ago, Eastport bills said:

I love Mitch, but if they think they can move Bates to center, he would free up desperately needed cap space. It wouldn’t make sense if a viable replacement was not on the roster because bringing in a good O-lineman would negate any benefits.

You aren't going to free up much cap space by releasing Morse. 

Spotrac is usually accurate, but I think they're inaccurate here, Morse carries $6M dead cap (by their own accounting).  We save $5M on the cap, which is chump change for opening a hole "Very good NFL quality center" which we then may have to fill.

Edited by Beck Water
  • Like (+1) 1

38 minutes ago, BarleyNY said:

That would not do a whole lot of good. Any cap space we could push out would just hit next year.

Doesn't sound like you thought this through?   

This is a Cole Beasley situation.  Adjust your 11 mil or walk.   He's not getting close to that on the open market when he has 7 concussions and misses games every year.  Nothing gets pushed out.  One year deal and comes back at 7 or 8 hopefully

2 hours ago, MrEpsYtown said:

I think he stays until he decides to go. He is a high level player and an important cog in the OL. I think they should extend him actually. 

I don't think these guys are interesting in drafting a pure center. They value that versatility. Mitch Morse was a LT at Mizzou who moved to center as a pro. Same for Ryan Bates, a LT at PSU who moved to guard whose best position is probably center. Greg Van Roten was a LT at UPenn who moved to guard as a pro and the Bills had him cross train at center. They had Ike Boettger learn to snap in training camp a few years ago. 

Just find the best linemen you can find and figure it out. 

I know that the Bills value versatility.  Maybe they value versatility a little bit too much.

3 minutes ago, buffalostu2 said:

This is a Cole Beasley situation.  Adjust your 11 mil or walk.   He's not getting close to that on the open market when he has 7 concussions and misses games every year.  Nothing gets pushed out.  One year deal and comes back at 7 or 8 hopefully

I don't get the analogy to Cole Beasley.  No one reported that the Bills had asked Beasley to adjust his salary.  He went in and asked for a trade because he didn't want to be in Buffalo any more, when the Bills couldn't trade him they cut him (and no one picked him up until what, October?)

Morse does not miss games every year.  He played a 16 games (full season) in 2019 and 17 games in 2021.

Edited by Beck Water
  • Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, The Jokeman said:

You can draft a G/C prospect on day 3 to develop. Yet I'd like us to trade down maybe in round 3 and pick up a few more picks.

This is sensible but the Bills don't allocate enough roster spots to O linemen to make it happen.  They have dozens and dozens of D linemen (or so it seems) for four positions, but only about 8 O linemen for 5 positions.  The big reason they traded away Wyatt Teller was that he still needed time to develop, and they didn't want to waste a slot on him.  

7 minutes ago, Beck Water said:

I don't feel confident in Bates as a long-term answer at C. 

My ideal would be to draft the biggest, brawliest C/G we can this season, let him play G and learn this year, and move him to C next year.

You aren't going to free up much cap space by releasing Morse. 

Spotrac is usually accurate, but I think they're inaccurate here, Morse carries $6M dead cap (by their own accounting).  We save $5M on the cap, which is chump change for opening a hole "Very good NFL quality center" which we then may have to fill.

I’m not really sure about Mitch. His concussion history is troublesome but he’s a gamer and provides a lot of leadership for the O-line and he’s still a good center. It’s just the cap will not allow us to address everything. Everyone has their own priorities.

3 hours ago, BeastMode54 said:

Whether he is here next year or not, the guy has had 7 concussions, and we haven't drafted a center since Eric Woods. I know LG, RG and RT are positions that get talked about as far as upgrading. But Center has to be a high priority

I like Morse but boy did KC luck out with a younger , more skilled replacement in Creed. 

Morse will definitely be here next year. I think he missed 1 or 2 games this year that weren't concussion related. Seems to have a good head on his shoulders 

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, MrEpsYtown said:

I think he stays until he decides to go. He is a high level player and an important cog in the OL. I think they should extend him actually. 

I don't think these guys are interesting in drafting a pure center. They value that versatility. Mitch Morse was a LT at Mizzou who moved to center as a pro. Same for Ryan Bates, a LT at PSU who moved to guard whose best position is probably center. Greg Van Roten was a LT at UPenn who moved to guard as a pro and the Bills had him cross train at center. They had Ike Boettger learn to snap in training camp a few years ago. 

Just find the best linemen you can find and figure it out. 

Boettger is another injury casualty who was really coming on b4 blowing the achilles at the end of last season.  All reports are he is good to go and rehab was a big success.   He'll be in the mix for a starting job next year as will Tommy Doyle.  Plus Spencer Brown will have a normal offseason/OTA/camp for the first time.   

Not convinced the Bills don't have 2 or 3 guys coming back strong next year who we never saw at full strength (or at all ) this past season.   Rough season for injuries for this team.   

Ike Boettger is likely penciled as the LG for next season. As it stands today, assuming Morse is released, we’d have Dawkins/Boettger/Bates/draft pick/Brown. They’ve been developing Ike, Bates is the heir at C, and they’re gonna give Brown one more shot at RT. I think Beane is correct in his stance that Brown having missed camp and recovering from surgery stunted his development. 

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, John from Riverside said:

I think that the Mitch Morse replacement is going to be Ryan Bates

That is just my opinion

What they need to do is draft some quality guards that fit the office it’s guys that can pass protect well and are mobile

Did you ask Aaron K.  ?  lol

I am not sure what Bills want to run on offense yet still under Dorsey. at all.

But i sure would like to agree about Bates as next up and Morse can ride it out as he and the team see fit.

Restructure Morse and draft Guards 

3 hours ago, VaMilBill said:

He’s still playing well. Keep him this year and then we should move on the following year. Too many holes to fill this year without him moving on

Exactly!  If they move on this year, they are just adding more dead cap money and still need to then replace him.  Better to keep him this year, then move on in 2024, but also draft a development guy this year who plays inside both center and guard

He certainly could upset the apple cart here by retiring this year, if that happens, then move Bates to center for 2023 or they end up playing the development guy this year.  More than likely he'd have retired before FA starts so they could then address there too if they feel better to go that way.

Should he retire, that's a different question.

19 minutes ago, Snappysnackcakes said:

Ike Boettger is likely penciled as the LG for next season. As it stands today, assuming Morse is released, we’d have Dawkins/Boettger/Bates/draft pick/Brown. They’ve been developing Ike, Bates is the heir at C, and they’re gonna give Brown one more shot at RT. I think Beane is correct in his stance that Brown having missed camp and recovering from surgery stunted his development. 

If Morse is gone, think they need to do more than this.  I agree with giving Brown another shot, but the Bills line was played well below expectations this year.  I'm not sure I'd want to go into next year with the interior being Boettger, Bates, and draft pick.  I'd add a mid level FA vet in there too, someone better than a Stafford type and ideally who can play both guard and center.   Then let these three plus the Vet FA battle it out for 3 starting slots.  Whomever loses is first guy off the bench.  And if the vet you pickup can't play center, that kind of dictates one of the three starters will be Bates. 

If Morse is still with the team likely I'd do the same except then may try to find someone who is better as a tackle, but could play inside and he's the primary backup.

Also would try and upgrade the backup at tackle too in case Brown doesn't improve or maybe that guy is Doyle?

55 minutes ago, Snappysnackcakes said:

1 hour ago, ProcessTruster said:

Boettger is another injury casualty who was really coming on b4 blowing the achilles at the end of last season.  All reports are he is good to go and rehab was a big success.   He'll be in the mix for a starting job next year as will Tommy Doyle.  Plus Spencer Brown will have a normal offseason/OTA/camp for the first time.   

Not convinced the Bills don't have 2 or 3 guys coming back strong next year who we never saw at full strength (or at all ) this past season.   Rough season for injuries for this team.   

I like Ike but he is also a UFA. I’m guessing he would come back here if given the opportunity. If I am him I am a little weary of the fact that he barely played after healthy despite the the fact that Saffold was terrible. 

I think the Bills aim a bit higher with a David Edwards type who is better, more experienced, and younger. 

25 minutes ago, I am the egg man said:

giphy.gif

He’s good. We don’t have to make another hole.  You want him gone?

2 hours ago, Pirate Angel said:

He has a wife, young kids, and money. Hard to believe the old ladys not in his ear telling him to retire. My guess would be he will make the Bills release him in order to keep his guaranteed money? Not entirely sure how that works, but 7 concussions he cant possibly think its smart to keep playing. 

Imagine if the “old lady” was that annoying where she would get in the way of a pro player’s career? 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.