Mitch Morse, when to move on

BeastMode54

2 minutes ago, BeastMode54 said:

Whether he is here next year or not, the guy has had 7 concussions, and we haven't drafted a center since Eric Woods. I know LG, RG and RT are positions that get talked about as far as upgrading. But Center has to be a high priority

You can draft a G/C prospect on day 3 to develop. Yet I'd like us to trade down maybe in round 3 and pick up a few more picks.

• Like (+1) 2

I think he stays until he decides to go. He is a high level player and an important cog in the OL. I think they should extend him actually. 

I don't think these guys are interesting in drafting a pure center. They value that versatility. Mitch Morse was a LT at Mizzou who moved to center as a pro. Same for Ryan Bates, a LT at PSU who moved to guard whose best position is probably center. Greg Van Roten was a LT at UPenn who moved to guard as a pro and the Bills had him cross train at center. They had Ike Boettger learn to snap in training camp a few years ago. 

Just find the best linemen you can find and figure it out. 

Edited by MrEpsYtown
  • Like (+1) 2

So if you think there is a guy in the draft that can be your guy long term and you think Bates can do fine for a year or two as you grow that player then move on from Morse OR ask for contract restructure. 

I do not disagree he is older despite playing well and another concussion could be it,  but you can't just up and cut him considering how important he has been for Josh. We all remember the glorious Russ Bodine experiment!

25 minutes ago, BeastMode54 said:

Whether he is here next year or not, the guy has had 7 concussions, and we haven't drafted a center since Eric Woods. I know LG, RG and RT are positions that get talked about as far as upgrading. But Center has to be a high priority

What’s the plan to replace him?  For a measly 6 million in savings?   

You could argue that retirement is the best decision for all parties involved. The Bills need the cap space and even though Morse is good, he's probably not worth his contract. Morse's own health is top priority and an 8th (documented) concussion seems like a long-term quality of life issue. Even the NFL is probably concerned about his (and everyone's) concussion history. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2

51 minutes ago, BeastMode54 said:

It's 6 concussions and Eric Wood with no S

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.