2023 Salary Cap numbers released

Buffalo_Stampede

The Bills will lose pace on re-signing their own and adding FA the next two offseasons. KC and CIN are in better cap shape now and have $100M+ for 2024. Buffalo has to wait until 2025. 

The only playoff teams in the red are 

JAX- which is wild considering they’re not great and don’t pay their QB.

TB- About to enter a total rebuild and an old roster. 

MIN- Who everybody considered paper tigers. 

MIA- Good team, but Tua. 

I am less concerned with our cap number in relation to break even. I am concerned with our ability to spend compared to the teams we are competing with at the top of the conference. 

Edited by Mango

14 minutes ago, Mango said:

The Bills will lose pace on re-signing their own and adding FA the next two offseasons. KC and CIN are in better cap shape now and have $100M+ for 2024. Buffalo has to wait until 2025. 

MIA- Good team, but Tua. 

I am less concerned with our cap number in relation to break even. I am concerned with our ability to spend compared to the teams we are competing with at the top of the conference. 

Cincy can't get too crazy since they are staring down having to pay Burrow $45M to $50M a year starting in 2025 as well as Ja'Marr Chase coming off his rookie contract the same time. They can't really afford to take on many huge multi-year contracts, but could do some bigger 1 or 2-year deals if needed.

The Chiefs are looking at having to pay Jones $20M for 2023 at a $28M cap hit.  But you're correct, they are sitting better than we are.

Edited by Billz4ever
  • Like (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, Billz4ever said:

Cincy can't get too crazy since they are staring down having to pay Burrow $45M to $50M a year starting in 2025 as well as Ja'Marr Chase coming off his rookie contract the same time. They can't really afford to take on many huge multi-year contracts, but could do some bigger 1 or 2-year deals if needed.

The Chiefs are looking at having to pay Jones $20M for 2023 at a $28M cap hit.  But you're correct, they are sitting better than we are.

I agree in CIN. They’re in an even tougher spot given the cash issues with ownership. 

KC can borrow for next year without much risk. By comparison it’s not so much kicking the can down the road like it is in Buffalo. 

• Like (+1) 1

25 minutes ago, Mango said:

MIA- Good team, but Tua. 

Beane has to knock this draft out of the park. There’s no other way about it. He has to nail It this year

• Like (+1) 3

2 minutes ago, Mango said:

I agree in CIN. They’re in an even tougher spot given the cash issues with ownership. 

KC can borrow for next year without much risk. By comparison it’s not so much kicking the can down the road like it is in Buffalo. 

I think we really need to shop Ed. Whether they do it or not is another story, but he's sucking up a a lot of money with not much to show for it.

1 minute ago, BillsSbSoon said:

Beane has to knock this draft out of the park. There’s no other way about it. He has to nail It this year

We'll know pretty quickly how that's going to go.

If it doesn't start offense heavy along the lines of:

1. WR

2. OL

3. OL

We're in trouble.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, strive_for_five_guy said:

Bates alone costs close to $5M/year.  I’m skeptical that we can find two quality interior OL for $3M/year each.  I agree that we need to fix the OL, but I don’t think saving money by releasing Morse is the way to do it.  Restructuring contracts elsewhere to possibly bring in a decent FA, and then the draft, is how I see it.  

LT - Dawkins

LG - Bates

C - Morse

RG - FA/Draftee

RT - Brown/Draftee

Still not a solid starting front, but a successful draft is our best chance of improving this group longer term.

Fwiw when they put bates between morse and Dawkins down the stretch in 21, our run game came alive and our offense built itself up to those playoff games. I felt that all three played the best football of their lives in that stretch. I remember a good chunk of time where allen wasn't even touched, maybe 3 or 4 games 

20 minutes ago, arcane said:

Fwiw when they put bates between morse and Dawkins down the stretch in 21, our run game came alive and our offense built itself up to those playoff games. I felt that all three played the best football of their lives in that stretch. I remember a good chunk of time where allen wasn't even touched, maybe 3 or 4 games 

Yep, our running game wasn't great, but at least Josh wasn't running for his life every play. Josh actually had time to go through his progressions and make a much higher percentage throw rather than having to create on the run.  I'm expecting at least a couple lineman from the draft and let's have a good training camp competition and put the best 5 out there.

• Like (+1) 2

6 hours ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

It’s right in the neighborhood. Doesn’t change much, good or bad. 

We’re in position to create $40+ million in space with restructuring contracts. More with cuts. 

So that means we'll have about 20M to spend and the figures for Tremaine Edmunds are 14-16M, plus the roster filler types like AJ Klein etc., yes money can be manipulated but we could also end up like the Saints and they're still 57M in the hole from the Brees days. Beane stated at his press conference that they can manipulate the cap but also want to be smart about it.

6 hours ago, Matt_In_NH said:

cutting him can create a reasonable amount of space.  Others who could generate space are more non negotiable.  I agree with you he should not be cut.  And cutting him just makes another hole to fill.  

I think it is more likely that he retires.

6 hours ago, Mango said:

Verbiage here is confusing.

Total possible cap space does not equal amount of cap space we would have. Freeing up either $44M or $56M only actually gives us $22M or $34M in spendable cap dollars on draft picks and FA. 

That’s because we are approximately $22M over the cap now. The first $22M we free up just gets us to $0. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.