2023 Salary Cap numbers released

Buffalo_Stampede

1 hour ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

With restructuring alone.

Verbiage here is confusing.

Total possible cap space does not equal amount of cap space we would have. Freeing up either $44M or $56M only actually gives us $22M or $34M in spendable cap dollars on draft picks and FA. 

For 2023 12 players account for about 3/4 of the cap. 

Josh Allen $39,772,281 - 17.56%

Stefon Diggs $20,271,111 - 8.95%

Von Miller 18,615,000 - 8.22%

Tre'Davious White $16,223,147 - 7.16%

Dion Dawkins $14,824,870 - 6.55%

Matt Milano $13,338,588 - 5.89%

Mitch Morse $11,160,000 - 4.93%

Ed OliverDT $10,753,000 - 4.75%

Micah Hyde $10,571,294 - 4.67%

Taron Johnson $9,215,000 - 4.07%

DaQuan Jones $8,583,333 - 3.79%

Dawson Knox $6,425,000 - 2.84%

That doesn't leave much for the other 43 players on the 53 man roster.  They'll need to restructure a few deals to create some space but I don't see how they re-sign Poyer and any deal with Edmunds is going to be too expensive.  Signing other big time free agents looks like a dream. Scoring an "A" in the draft is going to be required along with signing budget free agents and college free agents on rookie deals.     

32 minutes ago, cle23 said:

Which "quality" O line are you signing for $3M each?  Rookies you can get less than that, but you aren't signing a quality veteran for $3M.  The 28th highest paid veteran guard is the 1st to go under $4M per year, and none of them are starters.

Not average salaries. Cap space. First year cap hits last year were around $3-4 million or less for most of the OGs signed. 

So I wouldn’t expect a top OG but you can get a couple starting quality OGs. A guy that signed last year many wanted, Austin Corbett had a first year cap hit of $3.1 million. Actually less than Saffold’s cap hit. 

Edited by Buffalo_Stampede

We have a lot of holes to fill on this team, but if done right through the Draft, much of it can be done.  The first thing we need to do is identify our "Justin Jefferson" / "AJ Brown" / "Davante Adams", etc and get them at #27.  There are a lot of WRs in this and every class with talent and preferably we find someone with some speed.  Obviously a combination of size and speed would be great, but at the end of the round, you have to do your research and make sure you get it right.  There are plenty of star WRs in this league that have been drafted in the bottom of Round 1 or even in Round 2.  Find one and draft him. 

From there, luckily Guards are not considered a premium position and many of the best ones in drafts don't even come off the board until the 2nd and 3rd rounds anyway.  So, get a couple of them in that area.  Getting a couple of Guards that play physical with some nastiness to them would go a long way towards improving this line. 

Fixing the RT position will be tough to do in the draft because of all the other needs, but based on Beane's comments, I am not sure they view that as quite a necessity as many of us perceive it to be.  We can't fix everything, but if you can get a quality LG in the draft and put him in between Dawkins and Morse, I think you will start to see those guys immediately start to play better as well.  Our "Pro Bowler" Saffold was so bad most of the time, I think those guys suffered a bit trying to make up for his errors.  And while I don't think Brown is great, I think the same thing can be said if we can put a true road grader in at RG as well.  Eventually, Bates might be able to take over for Morse at C whether it be this year or next.  So, while not perfect by any means, getting a true #2 and a couple of quality lineman in the first 4 rounds is imperative.

Then, it us up to Beane to find some nastiness up front on the defensive line.  Right now, we have a bunch of athletes, but none of them have that edge to them that I want my DTs to have.  Jones was very good for us this season and we really missed him against the Bengals.  But we need someone else in there that brings that nasty fight on the inside. 

Absolutely nailing the draft takes a lot of burden off of the lack of cap space.  There are plenty of things that can be done with current contracts to create space, but it is time to start seeing some major impact from drafted players instead of just getting contributions.  We need to draft some stars instead of just role players.

Edited by sven233
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

It’s right in the neighborhood. Doesn’t change much, good or bad. 

We’re in position to create $40+ million in space with restructuring contracts. More with cuts. 

That doesnt leave a lot of money to replace or resign 24 FA's this off season.  I've been saying that for weeks though.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, HomeskillitMoorman said:

I'm not an expert on this at all...but at some point won't all the restructuring/backloading eventually put us in a really tough spot with the cap? 

Like is this sustainable or is it just kicking the can down the road?

Yes, it just kicks the can down the road.  For someone like Josh it probably wont matter much but looking at someone like Von is a different story.  Von can currently be cut in 2025 and not be much concern.  This is good if he comes back not himself or declines because of age and injuries.  Restructuring him pushes bigger cap hits down the road.  So if they restructure him, which it looks like they have to... we are probably stuck with him for most of his contract regardless of his play.

42 minutes ago, Shortchaz said:

Von miller contract looking like such bad value atm. Man I hope he can get right before thanksgiving. 

This has bad contract written all over it. The good news is if we don’t restructure, there is an out after 2025. High-priced FAs rarely make a huge impact on teams. 

• Agree 1

Being a GM of an NFL Franchise looks like a lot of fun but there is SO much that goes into it.  Not only are you a Coaching and Player talent evaluator but you are also one hell of an accountant, a negotiator and a draft board wizard.  I would love to be in charge of a draft but honestly the rest of it is for the birds.  

9 minutes ago, SoCal Deek said:

I’m also no expert on this stuff but I said it then and I’ll say it again here, the Von Miller acquisition is going to prove to be a disaster. Swung for the fences and whiffed terribly. 

Only because of his ACL which falls under stuff happens.

• Agree 3

3 hours ago, dhgold said:

I don't understand why people want to get rid of Morse. It seems like he's one of only two effective players on the Bills most problematic unit.

I wouldn't be surprised if Multiple Concussion Man retires for his own health. I know I would.

36 minutes ago, oldmanfan said:

Only because of his ACL which falls under stuff happens.

Yeah. If he was in the Cincinnati game, the Bills win.

1 hour ago, SoCal Deek said:

I’m also no expert on this stuff but I said it then and I’ll say it again here, the Von Miller acquisition is going to prove to be a disaster. Swung for the fences and whiffed terribly. 

That's easy to say after he suffers a season ending injury.  Before he got hurt, he's exactly the piece of the defense we've been missing and he made everyone on the line better because he demanded more attention.

We probably don't win the regular season game in KC without the plays he made there.  Harrassed Mahomes all game, had 2 sacks, 2 TFL, and created the pressure that caused the game ending INT.

Edited by Billz4ever

3 hours ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

I think they save about $6 million in cap space. You can sign 2 quality interior OL for that cap hit.

Bates alone costs close to $5M/year.  I’m skeptical that we can find two quality interior OL for $3M/year each.  I agree that we need to fix the OL, but I don’t think saving money by releasing Morse is the way to do it.  Restructuring contracts elsewhere to possibly bring in a decent FA, and then the draft, is how I see it.  

LT - Dawkins

LG - Bates

C - Morse

RG - FA/Draftee

RT - Brown/Draftee

Still not a solid starting front, but a successful draft is our best chance of improving this group longer term.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.