2023 Salary Cap numbers released

Buffalo_Stampede

5 minutes ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

Puts them about $21M under the cap.........which they can get almost exactly by doing a base salary restructure with Josh Allen.

After that it gets harder.    

Probably don't want to do any of those type of re-structures with players you can't see starting and worth 8 figures doing it in 3 seasons.

Tre White and Milano probably are a no in that regard at this point.

Dawkins might play a long time at guard eventually so I'd probably do a restructure there.

Dawkins and Diggs re-structures give you about $9M total.

Morse and and Hines cuts save around $11M total so that's gotta' be on the table.

McKenzie and Neal can get lopped off for around $4M total savings.

That gives Beane about $24M to sign draft picks and UFA's unless the roster minimum isn't met.   

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

Puts them about $21M under the cap.........which they can get almost exactly by doing a base salary restructure with Josh Allen.

After that it gets harder.    

Probably don't want to do any of those type of re-structures with players you can't see starting and worth 8 figures doing it in 3 seasons.

Tre White and Milano probably are a no in that regard at this point.

Dawkins might play a long time at guard eventually so I'd probably do a restructure there.

Dawkins and Diggs re-structures give you about $9M total.

Morse and and Hines cuts save around $11M total so that's gotta' be on the table.

McKenzie and Neal can get lopped off for around $4M total savings.

That gives Beane about $24M to sign draft picks and UFA's unless the roster minimum isn't met.   

This is not encouraging at all. This smells like we're in for a "screwed by the cap" excuse type of season where they pretty much just run it back and fall short again. I hope I'm wrong, but another year of Diggs and Allen could be flushed down the bowl if they don't nail every single move. 

9 minutes ago, dhgold said:

I don't understand why people want to get rid of Morse. It seems like he's one of only two effective players on the Bills most problematic unit.

cutting him can create a reasonable amount of space.  Others who could generate space are more non negotiable.  I agree with you he should not be cut.  And cutting him just makes another hole to fill.  

4 minutes ago, H2o said:

This is not encouraging at all. This smells like we're in for a "screwed by the cap" excuse type of season where they pretty much just run it back and fall short again. I hope I'm wrong, but another year of Diggs and Allen could be flushed down the bowl if they don't nail every single move. 

Yep.........time for Beane and his hallowed scouting department to earn the hype.

3 minutes ago, HomeskillitMoorman said:

I'm not an expert on this at all...but at some point won't all the restructuring/backloading eventually put us in a really tough spot with the cap? 

Like is this sustainable or is it just kicking the can down the road?

The Bills have 24 UFA's.  And still need to restructure some deals which is can kicking because at some point either you pay guys a lot more in the back-end years or cut them which loads up on dead cap money.  Which is something Beane stated was not part of his "sustainable" plan for managing the cap and personal decisions.  But here we are.       

• Agree 1

6 minutes ago, HomeskillitMoorman said:

I'm not an expert on this at all...but at some point won't all the restructuring/backloading eventually put us in a really tough spot with the cap? 

Like is this sustainable or is it just kicking the can down the road?

Depends.

Every team carries some level of dead cap into a season.

If you restructure guys who are in your long term plans, and they continue to play at a high level, it's not going to hurt you with the ever-increasing salary cap. 

Mess around with guys who's play falls off and/or you decide to cut, and then you're stuck with underperforming players with large cap hits and/or dead cap.

• Like (+1) 2

17 minutes ago, H2o said:

Nah, they can make moves to free up space pretty easily. They probably will have to choose between Edmunds and Poyer, but after that if someone doesn't get re-signed it's because they don't believe what he is asking for is equal to his actual value. 

And that's a thing too, FYI. If someone is going to get a crazy offer in UFA, either you are going to choose to overpay them or you are going to let someone else choose to overpay them.

I'd rather it be someone else.

Edited by Big Turk

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.