Diggs' production in 2023

Inigo Montoya

2 hours ago, CincyBillsFan said:

Nonsense.  Posters have accurately called out the top 3 reasons Diggs production dropped a bit: 1) defenses schemed to take him out of the game and no one else on the Bills stepped up; 2) Multiple bad weather games; and 3) Allen's injury.

He’s the 5th most targeted WR in the league with the 4th most receptions and played 16 games.

WTF are people talking about, his production dropped? He is 1-2 more targets a game from being the most targeted WR in the entire league. 

Justin Jefferson has the 11th most targets ever in an NFL season. Diggs is 1-2 throws per game and the CIN game finishing is the difference between Diggs and a historical season. That cannot be the bar he has to surpass. 

The problem is the offense lacks efficiency. Not that Diggs doesn’t get the ball enough. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

3 hours ago, Logic said:

BADOL: I'm curious to know how you feel about Hunter Renfrow, were he to become available in a trade.

I was hoping that the Raiders would do something that they typically do and let him walk as a free agent. But they gave him an extension.

If for some reason the Raiders want to trade Renfrow, then I'm taking that call!

Love Diggs but I think you need to draft multiple receivers and go in thinking this is Diggs last year. KC just traded away a top 5 wr and made the SB. If Allen is worth what he’s going to get paid, he’s going to have to make some young wrs into stars because we are going to need to be more cost effective.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Disagree 2

9 hours ago, Nextmanup said:

Josh overthrows (and under throws) a lot of receivers!  It's a part of who he is. You have to take the good with the bad.

Ironically, despite his huge arm, he tends to under throw really long shots; watch how often a receiver slows allowing the DB to close before the ball gets there.

So both Joe B and Pat do this in the Champ game.   So it's not just Josh.. 

9 hours ago, Inigo Montoya said:

Diggs has been frustrated as the season came to an end about his lack of involvement in the offense.  Diggs had another monster season and is more than just another WR1, he is a top three WR in the NFL.  Diggs finished 4th in the NFL in receptions, 5th in receiving yards, and tied for 3rd in TDs.  He did that playing only 16 regular season games.

The Bills played 18 games (if you throw out the Damar Hamlin game) in the 2022 season including the playoffs.  That gives us two 9 game halves of the season to compare. I divvied up the stats to see if there was a significant difference in the two halves.  There was definitely a big drop in production over the second half of the season.

First 9 games;

Average targets per game;  11

Average receptions per game;  8

TDs;  7

Average yds per game;   109.4

Last 9 Games;

Average targets per game: 8.2

Average receptions per game;  5.2

TDs;  4

Average yds per game;  65.8

The question is why did Diggs production drop off? There are a couple of things that were a factor, Josh injured his elbow near the end of the 8th game of the season and that injury seemed to linger well into the second half of the season.  The other issue was a few bad weather games where conditions were not ideal for an efficient passing game.  I'm not sure if Josh's elbow and weather can account for all that drop off though.

That leaves 5 possibilities for Diggs 2nd half decline;

1.   Defenses did something different later in the season to slow Diggs 

2.  Dorsey moved away from Diggs-centric offensive game plans

3.  The O-line play deteriorated and the passing game suffered

4.  Allen regressed in the second half of the season

5.  Diggs regressed in the second half of the season

It could be combination of some or all of them, but I think #1 and #5 are the least likely.  Every defense tries to take Diggs out of the game and I think Diggs was still getting open late in the year.  Even when Diggs is "covered" he still seems to catch the ball. 

This is something that Dorsey is going to have to figure out this off season.  We have a tight cap now and the answer on offense is probably not going to be adding more weapons for Josh, but rather getting more out of the weapons we already have.

My thought is as Diggs kept complaining and as Josh/s INTs increased.. it appeared that Josh would stay locked on Diggs a tad longer than what he should in the past 4 weeks. He was hesitant to pull the trigger, rightfully so.   He didn't scan his other receivers quick enough and thus would miss his dump offs on the back side

• Like (+1) 1

5 hours ago, BuffBillsForLife said:

The Chiefs have essentially the same receiving corps as the Bills, i.e., one elite option (Diggs/Kelce) and a bunch of JAGs.  And yet, the Chiefs were able to beat the Bengals and their scary WRs, so that isn't the real problem.  Not that I would turn down signing Higgins or Boyd in the offseason.

OL is the real problem, when its so bad pressure is in Allen's face after 1 second every play it's no wonder throws are off target.

Yes but Allen isn’t Mahomes.

Nobody is.

He needs more help.

7 hours ago, BADOLBILZ said:

The Texans committed to Brandin Cooks.   

Because of that he has an outrageous 2023 $18M base salary coming off a sub 600 yard season with a career high in drops.  

He looked like he fell off the cliff this year............it's perplexing to me why he was talking about wanting out........Texans eat $32M in dead money by releasing him and nobody is taking his salary on in trade.

I didn't see him play at all this year. Just chalked it up to him being on the Texans with Driskel, Mills and Kyle Allen.

Edited by Chicken Boo

3 hours ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

Love Diggs but I think you need to draft multiple receivers and go in thinking this is Diggs last year. KC just traded away a top 5 wr and made the SB. If Allen is worth what he’s going to get paid, he’s going to have to make some young wrs into stars because we are going to need to be more cost effective.

Diggs has more than one good year left in him. He’s not that old and has a ridiculously huge route tree. He’s no one trick speed pony.

4 hours ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

Just love these hidden innuendos; still holding to those pre-draft biases rooted in your brain!

• Like (+1) 1
  • Eyeroll 1

4 minutes ago, dave mcbride said:

Diggs has more than one good year left in him. He’s not that old and has a ridiculously huge route tree. He’s no one trick speed pony.

Never came close to saying one word about his ability diminishing. There’s a thing called the salary cap. Allen is going to take up a lot of next year. Hard decisions are going to need to be made. Again, a lot of people talked about Allen being as good as Mahomes. Well, KC traded Hill because he wanted too much.  Diggs is going to want a new deal. You can get good value and receiver is one of the deepest positions in college football.

the good teams forward thing and get rid of players a year before they start declining. If we draft z couple of guys this year and let them learn under Diggs and be able to trade Diggs for a high pick after the season, there’s a perfect scenario.

1 minute ago, Lieutenant Aldo Raine said:

Just love these hidden innuendos; still holding to those pre-draft biases rooted in your brain!

Is your name Brittany? Dude you’re a sensitive groupie. Allen is awesome. And when a qb is awesome & making a lot of money, he is going to have carry the team without as much high price talent around him. 

so whereas Diggs was the right player over Jefferson at the time, it might time to get a 1st pick and think about cutting some cost at some places. 

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

Never came close to saying one word about his ability diminishing. There’s a thing called the salary cap. Allen is going to take up a lot of next year. Hard decisions are going to need to be made. Again, a lot of people talked about Allen being as good as Mahomes. Well, KC traded Hill because he wanted too much.  Diggs is going to want a new deal. You can get good value and receiver is one of the deepest positions in college football.

the good teams forward thing and get rid of players a year before they start declining. If we draft z couple of guys this year and let them learn under Diggs and be able to trade Diggs for a high pick after the season, there’s a perfect scenario.

Is your name Brittany? Dude you’re a sensitive groupie. Allen is awesome. And when a qb is awesome & making a lot of money, he is going to have carry the team without as much high price talent around him. 

so whereas Diggs was the right player over Jefferson at the time, it might time to get a 1st pick and think about cutting some cost at some places. 

I know you think you’re a playa (as you’ve bragged about), but you can’t handle Brittany.  You’re just easy to rile up because you were an Allen doubter for so long.  That said, I think your opinion on Diggs has legitimate reasoning.

This “Diggs is mad because he wasn’t getting the ball” is obnoxious. Diggs was mad because the offense wasn’t performing. 

Source?

Diggs. 

I don’t think 2 less targets a game is a sign of anything, other than maybe the coaches putting him on a pitch count to keep him healthy. 

Edited by TheyCallMeAndy

15 hours ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

Hard to imagine Allen not being worth what he's going to get paid. Especially since by the end of this summer Allen will likely not even be in the top 10 highest paid QB's.

And the issue with Allen isn't whether he can lift young (or old) WR's up to be stars.  He's already proved he can.  Just take a look at the quality of WR he has had since his rookie year and how productive he has made them:  John Brown & Cole Beasley had career years while guys like Foster & McKenzie have had huge games.  The issue is Buffalo's O line and it's inability to consistently protect Allen.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.