Diggs' production in 2023

Inigo Montoya

59 minutes ago, 2003Contenders said:

Josh is one of those QBs who elevates the value of his receivers. Not saying the Bill should dumpster dive -- but I would rather spend wisely on a RELIABLE receiver who runs decent routes and CATCHES the ball rather than a perceived stud. Maybe a guy who has been in a lousy situation with a bad QB for his career -- or a young guy that is ready to bust out with Josh and the surrounding talent at WR/TE to help him.

Parris Campbell fits that description to a T & is a UFA. First couple years dealt with injuries, played very well this year despite Indy having possibly the worst QB situation in the league. Can play slot or outside.

2 hours ago, Warriorspikes51 said:

Diggs was overthrown on an open 40+ yard play early against Cincy.  He was also overthrown on 2 passes to the end zone 

If they held their blocks another quarter second it would have been 7.  OL let them down.

As for the thread, I always blame coaching.  Get the receiver into a position to be productive.  

1 minute ago, 947 said:

Parris Campbell fits that description to a T & is a UFA. First couple years dealt with injuries, played very well this year despite Indy having possibly the worst QB situation in the league. Can play slot or outside.

Parris Campbell is also the NFL version of Mr. Glass. You breathe on the guy and he gets injured. He's played a whopping 32 games in 4 years. That's an average of 8 games per season. No thanks. 

35 minutes ago, Chicken Boo said:

Brandon Cooks produces everywhere he goes, even with poor QB play.  I find it strange that he can't get a team to commit to him long term.  

The Texans committed to Brandin Cooks.   

Because of that he has an outrageous 2023 $18M base salary coming off a sub 600 yard season with a career high in drops.  

He looked like he fell off the cliff this year............it's perplexing to me why he was talking about wanting out........Texans eat $32M in dead money by releasing him and nobody is taking his salary on in trade.

Edited by BADOLBILZ
  • Agree 1

2 hours ago, Nextmanup said:

Josh overthrows (and under throws) a lot of receivers!  It's a part of who he is. You have to take the good with the bad.

Ironically, despite his huge arm, he tends to under throw really long shots; watch how often a receiver slows allowing the DB to close before the ball gets there.

LoL....Thats because he used to overthrow receivers a lot...I think he's trying to take a little off and has a problem gauging his own arm strength.  

• Like (+1) 1

29 minutes ago, H2o said:

Parris Campbell is also the NFL version of Mr. Glass. You breathe on the guy and he gets injured. He's played a whopping 32 games in 4 years. That's an average of 8 games per season. No thanks. 

Yeah that would be the more expensive version of the Jamison Crowder flyer.

It might work out.........but even at his best Campbell probably isn't good enough for what you need at WR2 to make a big difference.........the same way Crowder wasn't going to evoke memories of 2020 Beasley from the slot at that stage of his career.

5 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

The Texans committed to Brandin Cooks.   

Because of that he has an outrageous 2023 $18M base salary coming off a sub 600 yard season with a career high in drops.  

He looked like he fell off the cliff this year............it's perplexing to me why he was talking about wanting out........Texans eat $32M in dead money by releasing him and nobody is taking his salary on in trade.

1 minute ago, BADOLBILZ said:

Yeah that would be the more expensive version of the Jamison Crowder flyer.

It might work out.........but even at his best Campbell probably isn't good enough for what you need at WR2 to make a big difference.........the same way Crowder wasn't going to evoke memories of 2020 Beasley from the slot at that stage of his career.

BADOL: I'm curious to know how you feel about Hunter Renfrow, were he to become available in a trade.

• Like (+1) 1

19 minutes ago, Logic said:

BADOL: I'm curious to know how you feel about Hunter Renfrow, were he to become available in a trade.

$11M for a Slot WR is steep. He was great in 2021, pre-Josh McDaniels. He had the concussion this year, but was never incorporated in the same manner on offense either. Just my 2. :thumbsup:

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, Airseven said:

Allen seemed shot both mentally and physically down the stretch of the season. Diggs's lack of involvement falls on Allen - his poor decision-making, his inaccuracy, his jumpy feet.

Nonsense.  Posters have accurately called out the top 3 reasons Diggs production dropped a bit: 1) defenses schemed to take him out of the game and no one else on the Bills stepped up; 2) Multiple bad weather games; and 3) Allen's injury.

• Agree 1

13 minutes ago, Logic said:

My opinion is that Diggs should be in the slot.    Give your best receiver the free releases from the slot and make him easier for Allen to access.   Renfrow is an excellent slot-only receiver but I want 2 of my 3 receivers to be guys that can play both inside or out.   It's a lot to ask to be like Cinci with 3 guys who can do everything.   2 out of 3 is reasonable.   And with the very limited Gabe Davis being one of the players in the Bills mix.........2 outta 3 isn't happening by just adding Renfrow.    I could see Beane trying to find a new, traditional WR3 slot receiver like Renfrow though.   I just think it's time to give Josh something closer to what guys like Burrow and Hurts have.    

• Like (+1) 5

13 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

My opinion is that Diggs should be in the slot.    Give your best receiver the free releases from the slot and make him easier for Allen to access.   Renfrow is an excellent slot-only receiver but I want 2 of my 3 receivers to be guys that can play both inside or out.   It's a lot to ask to be like Cinci with 3 guys who can do everything.   2 out of 3 is reasonable.   And with the very limited Gabe Davis being one of the players in the Bills mix.........2 outta 3 isn't happening by just adding Renfrow.    I could see Beane trying to find a new, traditional WR3 slot receiver like Renfrow though.   I just think it's time to give Josh something closer to what guys like Burrow and Hurts have.    

Thanks. That makes sense to me. 

For what it's worth, it seemed like a lot of Davis' best moments in 2020 and 2021 came from the slot, too. 

It seems like both Diggs AND Davis could benefit from more time inside. 

Adding a legitimate and explosive outside option seems like a part of that, but I'd also like to see Dorsey be more creative in his usage of the receivers, as well. 

• Agree 1

Diggs was not the issue, he did not fade.  

• Allen's elbow injury was more of an issue that many think
  • Dorsey's offense was not creative and didn't scheme guys open.  Allen and Diggs got a lot of their production off improvising.
  • Defenses figured out how to defend the Bills offense once GB put the blueprint out there.  
  • The OL was bad, and Allen saw his comfort behind the line disrupted
  • We couldn't run the ball

These are all the reasons we saw his numbers dip IMHO.

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, 2003Contenders said:

Call me crazy -- but given the cap issues ahead, I am not excited about spending tons of money on another receiver, when that money needs to be better spent on fortifying the lines.

Josh is one of those QBs who elevates the value of his receivers. Not saying the Bill should dumpster dive -- but I would rather spend wisely on a RELIABLE receiver who runs decent routes and CATCHES the ball rather than a perceived stud. Maybe a guy who has been in a lousy situation with a bad QB for his career -- or a young guy that is ready to bust out with Josh and the surrounding talent at WR/TE to help him.

Once you pay your QB big money this is an absolute must. You cannot pay 2 guys and your QB. If you want two, you will have to pay one, draft one, then cycle through them that way. 

If you have to go out and pay two top receivers, you likely have a QB problem not a WR problem. 

That isn't a condemnation on Allen. But the Bills cannot and should not go down the road of multiple high paid WR now that Allen's contract is kicked in. I think we can help our WR's and OL with better coaching from the OC as well as play calling and decision making from the QB. 

Draft OL and WR early and often. 

• Agree 1

The Chiefs have essentially the same receiving corps as the Bills, i.e., one elite option (Diggs/Kelce) and a bunch of JAGs.  And yet, the Chiefs were able to beat the Bengals and their scary WRs, so that isn't the real problem.  Not that I would turn down signing Higgins or Boyd in the offseason.

OL is the real problem, when its so bad pressure is in Allen's face after 1 second every play it's no wonder throws are off target.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

4 hours ago, Inigo Montoya said:

Diggs has been frustrated as the season came to an end about his lack of involvement in the offense.  Diggs had another monster season and is more than just another WR1, he is a top three WR in the NFL.  Diggs finished 4th in the NFL in receptions, 5th in receiving yards, and tied for 3rd in TDs.  He did that playing only 16 regular season games.

The Bills played 18 games (if you throw out the Damar Hamlin game) in the 2022 season including the playoffs.  That gives us two 9 game halves of the season to compare. I divvied up the stats to see if there was a significant difference in the two halves.  There was definitely a big drop in production over the second half of the season.

First 9 games;

Average targets per game;  11

Average receptions per game;  8

TDs;  7

Average yds per game;   109.4

Last 9 Games;

Average targets per game: 8.2

Average receptions per game;  5.2

TDs;  4

Average yds per game;  65.8

The question is why did Diggs production drop off? There are a couple of things that were a factor, Josh injured his elbow near the end of the 8th game of the season and that injury seemed to linger well into the second half of the season.  The other issue was a few bad weather games where conditions were not ideal for an efficient passing game.  I'm not sure if Josh's elbow and weather can account for all that drop off though.

That leaves 5 possibilities for Diggs 2nd half decline;

1.   Defenses did something different later in the season to slow Diggs 

2.  Dorsey moved away from Diggs-centric offensive game plans

3.  The O-line play deteriorated and the passing game suffered

4.  Allen regressed in the second half of the season

5.  Diggs regressed in the second half of the season

It could be combination of some or all of them, but I think #1 and #5 are the least likely.  Every defense tries to take Diggs out of the game and I think Diggs was still getting open late in the year.  Even when Diggs is "covered" he still seems to catch the ball. 

This is something that Dorsey is going to have to figure out this off season.  We have a tight cap now and the answer on offense is probably not going to be adding more weapons for Josh, but rather getting more out of the weapons we already have.

Where's the intermediate guy to make teams play a different coverage?  Beasley's 80 plus catches was missed.  Don't get me wrong I shout run the ball til I'm blue in the face but they just don't care to establish a running game.  So if you are going to throw all the time you better have a good short game to go with the long and my guess is we missed Beasley's production.  McKenzie never turned into a reliable threat, Crowder was injured, and for whatever Shakir only got looks late in the season.

1 hour ago, CincyBillsFan said:

Nonsense.  Posters have accurately called out the top 3 reasons Diggs production dropped a bit: 1) defenses schemed to take him out of the game and no one else on the Bills stepped up; 2) Multiple bad weather games; and 3) Allen's injury.

The poster you responded too lacks clues.  He seems to be dolphin fan who trolls this board. 

• Like (+1) 1

5 hours ago, Straight Hucklebuck said:

I think the solution is to get another top flight WR in here ASAP. 

Regardless if Diggs is mad or not, the fact is he is taken out of too many big games. 

It's an arms-race, and Diggs isn't enough. 

Just really a shame that Gabe Davis hasn’t consistently been that guy. I still want to believe that he has star potential… but my hope is fading some. 
After the 13 second game, I was convinced we’d have two #1 WRs this season. 

I’ve done zero analysis, but would be curious to know how often JA17 is making the ‘right’ throw choice, and how often our WRs are truly open.  Should be able to see that with my own two eyes. 
Then what I don’t know is whether Dorsey is making the right passing play calls.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.