Reassessing the Over-Reactions to the Divisional Round

Never NEVER Give-up

55 minutes ago, boyst said:

The first super bowl is win within 5 yrs. 

It was a stat discussed in NFLN. I'm too lazy to look it up... Wait. I'm at work... Meh here goes. 

As of 2017

https://www.google.com/amp/s/fivethirtyeight.com/features/why-coaches-and-qbs-should-divorce-after-five-years-of-not-winning/amp/

To my knowledge still true

Ok thought you meant they never won after 5 years ever again.  That also is partly true as after 5 years if you haven't won you're often fired.  Add to that in most cases the team never had a QB capable of winning SB to start with.  Reid was probably one of the exceptions in Philly as had McNabb in his prime, lasted 14 years, not all with McNabb, but never won the SB.

2 hours ago, Never NEVER Give-up said:

Now that the Championship games are over, I'd like to hear opinions on:

1. Are the Bills inside or outside the top tier of the AFC?  (Did the Bills have a bad game against the Bengals or are the Bills clearly inferior to the Bengals & Chiefs?)
  2. What's the take on the Eagles?  (Have they been tested yet?  Played the 5th string QB for SF!! (Purdy w/no arm!)  Now they will play the Chiefs - who are so banged up they are thanking God there is 2 weeks until the SB.)

My Take:

1. The Bills are in the conversation!  They played their worst game since the Indy game early in 2021.  They were 14-4 this year (not 4-14).  Unfortunately that last game will stay in our mouths until September.
  2. The Eagles have had it easy this year and I honestly don't know if they're as good as the Chiefs, Bengals or Bills.  However, much like their season, they will be facing a diminished opponent in their next game (wounded Chiefs).  Maybe a healthier Bengals team would have been a more formidable opponent for them.  Can Mahomes work his magic one more week?

It was clear to me that we weren't beating either of these teams in the playoffs this year.  

We got no pressure on Burrow and we wouldn't have on Mahomes either.  We couldn't stop Mixon and we probably don't stop Pacheco either.

Cincy got pressure on Josh with a 3-man rush.  That wouldn't have changed against KC and Chris Jones would be all over Allen.

We were playing loose coverage against Cincy's receivers.  Kelce and crew would've eaten us up too.

It all boils down to the line of scrimmage and both of these teams dominate us there.  We address the O-line, get Josh a true WR2, get a healthy Daquan and Von back, and we can re-visit.  

• Agree 1

3 minutes ago, Billz4ever said:

It was clear to me that we weren't beating either of these teams in the playoffs this year.  

We got no pressure on Burrow and we wouldn't have on Mahomes either.  We couldn't stop Mixon and we probably don't stop Pacheco either.

Cincy got pressure on Josh with a 3-man rush.  That wouldn't have changed against KC and Chris Jones would be all over Allen.

We were playing loose coverage against Cincy's receivers.  Kelce and crew would've eaten us up too.

It all boils down to the line of scrimmage and both of these teams dominate us there.  We address the O-line, get Josh a true WR2, get a healthy Daquan and Von back, and we can re-visit.  

Stop it!!!! The Bills definitely could beat both teams.  The coaching was putrid and let them down.

Sick of this attitude. 

13 minutes ago, Ed_Formerly_of_Roch said:

Ok thought you meant they never won after 5 years ever again.  That also is partly true as after 5 years if you haven't won you're often fired.  Add to that in most cases the team never had a QB capable of winning SB to start with.  Reid was probably one of the exceptions in Philly as had McNabb in his prime, lasted 14 years, not all with McNabb, but never won the SB.

Marv with Kelly. Shula with Marino, a few coaches with Elway, Manning, Bledsoe, and more. 

After watching this weekends games I feel a little BETTER about the Bills for next season, pending their identification of what this team needs - which is a dominant o-line and another top tier WR. As many problems as the d-line’s had, imagine how much more effective they’d be in they weren’t in the field as often? Why can’t the Bills become a more run centric team to take burden off JA, burden off the defense, and establish another way of winning? 

If this scheme shifted more towards a McVay-ian balanced attack, I really think we’ll be right back in it to win a SB…thoughts? 

• Agree 1

9 minutes ago, Billsfan1972 said:

Stop it!!!! The Bills definitely could beat both teams.  The coaching was putrid and let them down.

Sick of this attitude. 

So you're saying the Bills getting dominated by Cincy on both sides of the LOS is simply coaching?  LMAO

Our O-Line just plain sucks and the D-line without Daq and Von couldn't do anything.

Our DBs playing extremely loose coverage well off the ball certainly didn't help, but when you're getting destroyed in the trenches, the probability is extremely high that you're not winning.

I'm no fan of Frazier and think it's time for a change, but to make the claim that we can beat both of them if it weren't for our coaching, is a pretty far-fetched statement.

So what coaches are we using then to beat them?

Edited by Billz4ever

12 minutes ago, Big Blitz said:

How does this season end if Von and Hyde stay healthy?

With this O-line that couldn't stop a 3-man rush?  The same. We scored 10 points.

10 minutes ago, RunninRebel37 said:

After watching this weekends games I feel a little BETTER about the Bills for next season, pending their identification of what this team needs - which is a dominant o-line and another top tier WR. As many problems as the d-line’s had, imagine how much more effective they’d be in they weren’t in the field as often? Why can’t the Bills become a more run centric team to take burden off JA, burden off the defense, and establish another way of winning? 

If this scheme shifted more towards a McVay-ian balanced attack, I really think we’ll be right back in it to win a SB…thoughts? 

The draft is going to tell us everything about where this FO and coaching staff's heads are at.  If they don't address the O-line and get Josh some help at WR2, it shows me they just don't get it.  

• Agree 1

When the pre-season hype starts in April (draft), the Bills may be lumped in there with the Ravens, Chargers, Jags, and maybe Mia/Jets depending on their QB situations.  Those teams are probably going to be thought of as playoff worthy,, but on Tier 2 to start the season.   I think the Chiefs and Bengals are on Tier 1 by themselves.

I lost some trust in "the process" after this Cincinnati spanking.  McBeane got knocked down a bit.  I'm sure most NFL observers have lost some trust in the Bills as true SB contenders.  So this will be an interesting off season to see how they respond. 

1 hour ago, Big Turk said:

Hurts looked massively overrated yesterday...basically looked like a very VERY poor man's Josh Allen when healthy without the ability to stiff arm DLinemen to the ground or run over LBs.  Basically like a 70% Josh Allen.

That's the thing though...Hurts doesn't have to play like an elite QB in their offense.  He simply has to be efficient, not turn the ball over, and he'll always be a threat to run.  They ran for 150 yards and 4 TDs against a very good Niners D.  They didn't allow Hurts to have a great game through the air, but Philly didn't need him to.

Edited by Billz4ever
  • Like (+1) 1

I think at full health we have the talent to make up for our mediocre game day coaching and can beat either KC or Cinci.

I also still think that the slippery weather affected us more than Cinci. It limited our quickness advantage on the Line and at WR/RB.

Add in injuries and bad weather and our thin margin of error due to bad coaching is insurmountable.

If we strengthen the Oline and run game and can stay healthy on D, then we have a chance again next year.

1 minute ago, harmonkillebrew said:

I think at full health we have the talent to make up for our mediocre game day coaching and can beat either KC or Cinci.

I also still think that the slippery weather affected us more than Cinci. It limited our quickness advantage on the Line and at WR/RB.

Add in injuries and bad weather and our thin margin of error due to bad coaching is insurmountable.

If we strengthen the Oline and run game and can stay healthy on D, then we have a chance again next year.

You would think Beane and McDermott would build a team that could handle the elements better. The current stadium and the new one doesn't/won't have a dome. Rain, wind, snow, cold will be a factor every year.

17 minutes ago, Billz4ever said:

So you're saying the Bills getting dominated by Cincy on both sides of the LOS is simply coaching?  LMAO

Our O-Line just plain sucks and the D-line without Daq and Von couldn't do anything.

Our DBs playing extremely loose coverage well off the ball certainly didn't help, but when you're getting destroyed in the trenches, the probability is extremely high that you're not winning.

I'm no fan of Frazier and think it's time for a change, but to make the claim that we can beat both of them if it weren't for our coaching, is a pretty far-fetched statement.

So what coaches are we using then to beat them?

The Bills went 13-3.  They did not look as sharp down the stretch, but beat Baltimore, KC, Miami and others during the season.

I have no idea the # of posts during the season, telling me & others to "shut-up and just worry about the scoreboard when the Bills were winning" 

They too were still the betting favourites to win the SB.  

As bad as the Bills played vs. Cincy it was 14-7 and the Bills somehow held them to a FG and the Offense had the ball to end the first hafl and start the second half.  

Good coaching (and adjustments) and the Bills have it 17-17 or up 21-17 and a new ball game.

Yes I blame the coaching.  You're welcome to have your own excuses.  

3 hours ago, Never NEVER Give-up said:

The Bills are in the conversation!  They played their worst game since the Indy game early in 2021.  They were 14-4 this year (not 4-14).  Unfortunately that last game will stay in our mouths until September.

I agree we are in the conversation, but a lot of people are pointing to our regular season record this year as proof that we will be right there next year in the playoffs.

I think that's a bit of a fallacy.  Regular season ball against a 6 win team in October is not what playoff football is about.  

You really need to ONLY analyze what we have done against playoff competition.  Maybe someone around here will do that; I'm too lazy for that.

I will note we BEAT KC, IN KC, earlier in the year.  Not playoff football, but the result still stands! 

I think we would have lost, maybe by a lot, to the Bengals on MNF this year had the game continued, and they beat us easily and badly in the our playoff game; they are NOT a good matchup for us and we will have big trouble with them next year too, if it comes to that.

We need a small rebuild this off-season, and have a lot to address.  We will still be in the conversation, but don't expect anyone to name us their pre-season Super Bowl favorite.  No way.

I think we are do for a slight regression next season, which will only turn the heat on coaching/coordinators more.

59 minutes ago, Billsfan1972 said:

Sick of this attitude. 

Thank you. The KC rush hasn’t gotten to Josh the last 3 times. He’s a lot more elusive than Burrow and far more dangerous off script. The coaching in the playoffs was a C and an F. 

• Awesome! (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.