Im convinced its coaching (Chiefs showing how to handle Bengals)

Scott7975

2 minutes ago, Shaw66 said:

I think it's an interesting question, whether the scheme is finished or whether it has continued to evolve.   I agree, it seems to have become predictable, what the good coaches do is continue create changes that cover the holes.   The result, if you do it well, is that after 5-6 years you have a defense that can do a lot of different things well.  If it doesn't evolve, it just becomes beatable.  

One reason I think that the schemed may continue to be a good scheme is that the league still is a passing league.  Having seven mobile guys playing behind the line seems like a good approach.  But it has to adjust.  

To me this is what our defense is...  Play soft with everything in front of you.  Get to the ball quick and make the tackle.  Dont get beat deep.  Make the team drive the entire field in short bits without the big chunks.  Hope the team makes a mistake.  Odds say they will over that extended amount of time.  The gist of it anyways.  That works against teams in the regular season for the most part.  It doesnt work in the playoffs because you are now facing elite QBs.  Those QBs, like Mahomes and Burrow, dont make enough mistakes for that defense to work.  Which is why our D gives up a lot of points in the playoffs compared to the regular season.

• Like (+1) 4
  • Agree 3
  • Awesome! (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 5

10 minutes ago, zow2 said:

Mahomes on one ankle is a better thrower of the football over the middle than Allen.  You can see that in just one Qtr and over his career. 

As i’ve said before,  Allen is the better all around football player, but Mahomes is a better QB. 

You want to see what Mahomes looks like with the OL Allen had last week? Go watch his Super Bowl against the Bucs. The Chiefs made it a point to fix the problem that offseason. Will Brandon Beane?

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

2 minutes ago, Scott7975 said:

To me this is what our defense is...  Play soft with everything in front of you.  Get to the ball quick and make the tackle.  Dont get beat deep.  Make the team drive the entire field in short bits without the big chunks.  Hope the team makes a mistake.  Odds say they will over that extended amount of time.  The gist of it anyways.  That works against teams in the regular season for the most part.  It doesnt work in the playoffs because you are now facing elite QBs.  Those QBs, like Mahomes and Burrow, dont make enough mistakes for that defense to work.  Which is why our D gives up a lot of points in the playoffs compared to the regular season.

It is all predicated on tight coverage and a front four that can rush.  If your coverage can't cover (injuries) and your front four can't rush (talent and injuries) then no matter how you shuffle the deck chairs on the Titanic the movie ends the same.

Edited by Maine-iac
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

It is coaching.  As said this vanilla D just didn't work this year.  And ok, so Hyde was huge as was von.  What good coaches need to do is adjust.  

Moreso, even with them, we need to not be the cover 2 is what it is team.  Professionals will find ways to beat you because there's no real change up and it's now easy to know what to expect and therefore exploit

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.