Im convinced its coaching (Chiefs showing how to handle Bengals)

Scott7975

16 minutes ago, Fleezoid said:

I was thinking that same thing watching the game. KC's DBs were playing up on the line on a lot of plays. They were getting pressure on Burrow most of the game and some of those pressures/sacks were on blitzes. With tight coverage, you can blitz Burrow.

This—just on the eye test alone, it seemed like Burrow rarely was able to get completions when his receivers were challenged up at the line and pressure brought, while those times the Chiefs sat back, it was the same story as the Bills D…

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2

Just now, newcam2012 said:

And what's the chances he plays and doesn't get hurt? 

What are the chances anyone plays and doesn't get hurt?

Von is a physical freak.  I have no reason to believe he won't be a force next year, whenever he gets back on the field.  

That being said.. Our Defense is definitely going to be reliant upon guys coming back to full ability post-injury recovery (White, Von, Hyde).  Not ideal, but it's the hand we're dealt. 

22 minutes ago, Reverse Meathead said:

Plain as day.  KC coaches had a plans, schemes, all sorts of things our kindergarten coach and his defensive coordinators could never even imagine.  The more the season comes to a conclusion, McDermott and his staff should follow.

I agree especially that the Bills had a free Monday night rehearsal to prepare themselves. They learned nothing and got taken to the woodshed. How anyone has confidence in this coaching staff is perplexing.

I can accept the Bills losing to a better Bengals team.  However, this coaching staff handed the Bengals the win. They made no adjustments and their game plan was terrible. What were they thinking? 

• Agree 1

19 minutes ago, Fleezoid said:

I was thinking that same thing watching the game. KC's DBs were playing up on the line on a lot of plays. They were getting pressure on Burrow most of the game and some of those pressures/sacks were on blitzes. With tight coverage, you can blitz Burrow.

Watch Vikings game back. All the press you can eat. DBs got toasted. Browns game, toasted. Plenty of film on our DBs getting toasted in press man. Even with pass rush.

• Agree 1

21 minutes ago, Fleezoid said:

Yep. 

18 minutes ago, Fleezoid said:

The Bills DBs played way too far off of the line.  Burrow can hit an open receiver on the run in 2.6 seconds on average.  Why did we play them so loosely?   Are the Bills that worried about the deep passes?   

6 minutes ago, stlbills13 said:

The Bills defensive gameplan was terrible against Cincy and the Bengals could have put up a lot more than 27 points if they didn't take their foot off the gas but the Bills' offensive performance was equally as bad in that game including terrible offensive line play, bad playcalling, bad decisions by Josh, and a general lack of high-end offensive talent. So I agree KC was prepared better and had better coaching but they also had better players who played better too

Yes and no. The Chiefs have no legit WRs. Kelce us really their only elite offensive weapon. Their offensive is elite because of Mahomes, great oline, and offensive play calling and scheme. 

Look at the Bills now. Allen and Mahomes are basically a wash for arguments sake. Huge advantage to the Chiefs on the other 2 above mentioned. 

6 minutes ago, Bob in STL said:

The Bills DBs played way too far off of the line.  Burrow can hit an open receiver on the run in 2.6 seconds on average.  Why did we play them so loosely?   Are the Bills that worried about the deep passes?   

Been trying to justify why Fraizer and McD thought this was a good game plan. It's basically giving the Bengals the game. Giving a kid candy and telling him or her not to eat it. Just pure ignorance on the Bills coaching staff. 

9 minutes ago, SCBills said:

Von is a physical freak.  I have no reason to believe he won't be a force next year, whenever he gets back on the field.  

That being said.. Our Defense is definitely going to be reliant upon guys coming back to full ability post-injury recovery (White, Von, Hyde).  Not ideal, but it's the hand we're dealt. 

It's a ridiculous standard in a sport where multiple and accruing injuries is the norm. A D that requires near perfect conditions to thrive is analogously close to the talented player that is rarely available because he is frequently hurt.

Edited by Dr. Who

8 minutes ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

Watch Vikings game back. All the press you can eat. DBs got toasted. Browns game, toasted. Plenty of film on our DBs getting toasted in press man. Even with pass rush.

So, we'll need a complete overhaul in the defensive backfield, or a new defensive coordinator. because one of those 2 are broken.

Steve Martin Idk GIF

• Agree 1

14 minutes ago, SCBills said:

Correction. It's the hand Beane created. A hand that is likely not a winner. Beane tried his best bluff in his presser. 

• Like (+1) 1

17 minutes ago, Logic said:

So you typed out that whole thread title...

but when it came to the word "for", those two extra keystrokes were too much, eh?

I noticed that too. I see we have have a mix now of those ultra short nondescriptive topics (“Dorsey and Allen” or something like that), and those now popular cryptic two-sentence topics (“The Bills Are Well-Coached. But That’s Part of the Problem”). 
I think we may need a Post-Titling training session: “How to Title a Post. Hint: It’s Not Like This.”

• Haha (+1) 1

14 hours ago, Albany,n.y. said:

Imagine if D.Jones, Miller & Hyde played last Sunday:  McDermott & Frazier look like geniuses.  Instead, KC, with their D intact handles Cincy in the 1st half (just like last year) and it's all coaching.  Come On Man!

There's no question that the Bills would be better with those injured players in the lineup.  And if Jordan Phillips wasn't playing with a bad shoulder.  That said, the Bengals played down 3 offensive linemen and still found a way to dominate the Bills.  For that matter, Miami was on its third-string QB, a late-round rookie, and hung with the Bills in January in Buffalo.  And, turning to yesterday, KC's defense was not intact.  They had multiple injuries on defense and most of their defensive backfield consisted of backups and rookies.  The bottom line is that other teams make more adjustments to their game plans, and in-game, whether it's based on injuries, targeting an opponent's weaknesses, etc.  The Bills are well behind other teams in making those kinds of adjustments.

• Agree 1

33 minutes ago, Reverse Meathead said:

Plain as day.  KC coaches had a plans, schemes, all sorts of things our kindergarten coach and his defensive coordinators could never even imagine.  The more the season comes to a conclusion, McDermott and his staff should follow.

Issues with the defensive scheme have been analyzed to death. But it's a personnel issue too. Chiefs are utilizing one of the best overall draft classes in years. They have talent, depth, and youth everywhere. Quite simply - the Bills are not hitting on draft picks during a period when the cap noose is tightening. I'm not sure they have the personnel to pressure Burrow even if they wanted to.

9 minutes ago, newcam2012 said:

Correction. It's the hand Beane created. A hand that is likely not a winner. Beane tried his best bluff in his presser. 

I felt the same way listening to that presser...How much better would the Bills be if they only got a solid double from some of their premium picks? They're rostering a 1st round pick in Oliver that is not performing like a top 10 pick. A 1st Round pick in Elam who, for whatever reason, can't beat out Dane Jackson. Two second round picks in Epenesa and Basham who are just guys. A 3rd round starting RT who has struggled...And then Bernard who is basically a special teamer...B-)

• Thank you (+1) 1

The Chiefs were out there with rookie corners on the Bengals, and they made plays because the Chiefs at least tried TRUE double coverage. 

The Bills played in their weak prevent-shell, and still lost track of Chase on the first touchdown, and Milano got stuck on Chase on the overturned touchdown. 

Our scheme was PATHETIC. 

Not to pile on, but look at Jerry Hughes as another example that makes me suspect of the coaching.  He goes off to the Texans and starts producing immediately, not just pressures.

Fraizer needs to go, we have two overly conservative coaches running the defense.  We need a perspective shift to complement McD. 

• Like (+1) 3

1 hour ago, JerseyBills said:

Miller had a tremendous impact on the whole dl. Even the whole defense.  Everyone looked much better on the line before his injury. The way he bends that corner is incredible and it takes pressure off everyone in the front 7 because how much attention he demands . If he gets back to form I think that solves the problem alone. 

Didn't Beane say he expects Von to be ready for week 1? That'd be a massive boost

Not having Jones or Miller vs Bengals (or any other top 10 team) was the kiss of death.  Basically took the D line straight back to 2021.   Too light and too slow.   Beane fixed the problem, but the guys couldn't stay on the field. 

Just draft well and play it back next year.   I'd like to see how the Bills actually do with the lack of injuries KC and Philly enjoyed this past season.  

• Disagree 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.