Im convinced its coaching (Chiefs showing how to handle Bengals)

Scott7975

1 minute ago, Einstein said:

It doesn't make sense. 

The idea is to force the QB to throw to a WR in front of the sticks, and then the defense rallies to the ballcatcher and makes a tackle before the receiver crosses the first down yardline.

Everything has to go right, including not missing the tackle, not letting the receiver fall forward, not slipping, not anything. 

Best case scenario is it forces 4th and 1, which they probably go for (and get) anyway.

Bad call.

crazy thing is they held them to a FG anyways. 

1 hour ago, Patrick Duffy said:

100% agreed regarding Frazier. Speaking for myself, I'm one of those that wanted him gone after the 13 seconds embarrassment and now when looking at yet another poor defensive playoff performance I just don't see a justified scenario in him staying at this point. 

As for Dorsey, it's some posters saying "it's his 1st year at OC and feel he should improve in 2nd year", I'm not in that particular crowd myself. The stats people can throw those numbers around all they want, but there's a bit more to the picture. I didn't see very much from Dorsey (particular back half of the season) that gave me any confidence that it will be better next year.

In any event, at the very least Frazier should be done imo

You are so correct here. It's almost like waiting for a slow failure to happen again. 

• Like (+1) 1

20 hours ago, JayBaller10 said:

Not totally sure about that one. I remember his HC in college complaining because Allen wasn’t throwing to the intended receiver. Allen’s response was something like “Brett Favre throws TDs, coach.” For all we know Dorsey is encouraging Allen to take the short stuff, but Josh isn’t doing it. Since none of us are in these meetings we can only speculate either way. 

We have gave Allen a 26th ranked oline and no wr2 opposite diggs.....look at burrow oline last night?...as bad as that oline has been made out to be it still finished better than Bills oline and Allen doesn't have a Higgins and boyd opposite diggs lol....we have a problem and it's BC the Defense has taken too much from the offense

5 minutes ago, Since1981 said:

AGREE! Coaches

O: Pat could barely freakin walk and KC took it (without key WR)

D KC DBs right on the line with WR 

sad. Dorsey just walked Allen into backyard off schedule stuff. Frazier bend D. 

At the end of the day all that falls on the Boss.....wonder who that is?..do you know who runs this ship?

• Like (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, Chaos said:

Specific coaching question.  Do the Bills seem more predictable than other teams? More importantly is there any statistical way to measure predictability? 

On defense we run the same scheme something like 80 or 90% of the time...you can look that up.

There have been several comments made by opposing players this year, on offense and defense, saying "We knew just what they were going to do and they did it.  We studied it all week on film."

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, Billever76 said:

We have gave Allen a 26th ranked oline and no wr2 opposite diggs.....look at burrow oline last night?...as bad as that oline has been made out to be it still finished better than Bills oline and Allen doesn't have a Higgins and boyd opposite diggs lol....we have a problem and it's BC the Defense has taken too much from the offense

At the end of the day all that falls on the Boss.....wonder who that is?..do you know who runs this ship?

What does that have to do with Allen not taking what’s available? Or the speculation he isn’t being coached to do so?

21 hours ago, Scott7975 said:

Dont want to get a ban for comparing our team to the teams playing in the GDT so I am putting it here.  Im totally convinced its coaching.  KC its killing that Oline.  Their players arent better than ours.  Jones is a beast but really nobodies outside of that.  The difference is how they actually play the receivers tight and not 10 yards off and back up at the snap.  Burrow cant throw quick because it aint there for free.

Same story on offense. Allen may not be Mahomes but he is elite.  Their offensive design and coaching is second to none.  I feel like Dorsey is just backyard football.  A lot of people say "Josh wont take the underneath stuff."  I believe he would if he was coached to and the plays were designed to.  

Yeah Andy Reids are hard to find if there was another one available we would probably consider it. 

5 hours ago, ProcessTruster said:

Not having Jones or Miller vs Bengals (or any other top 10 team) was the kiss of death.  Basically took the D line straight back to 2021.   Too light and too slow.   Beane fixed the problem, but the guys couldn't stay on the field. 

Just draft well and play it back next year.   I'd like to see how the Bills actually do with the lack of injuries KC and Philly enjoyed this past season.  

Totally agree. I didn't even know Jones was injured til midway through the first.

Also Hyde. A rusty Tre , a banged up Poyer. 4/5 of them are all Pros. We'll be fine just need a good draft and some mid tier FA hits like Jones

21 hours ago, Scott7975 said:

Dont want to get a ban for comparing our team to the teams playing in the GDT so I am putting it here.  Im totally convinced its coaching.  KC its killing that Oline.  Their players arent better than ours.  Jones is a beast but really nobodies outside of that.  The difference is how they actually play the receivers tight and not 10 yards off and back up at the snap.  Burrow cant throw quick because it aint there for free.

Same story on offense. Allen may not be Mahomes but he is elite.  Their offensive design and coaching is second to none.  I feel like Dorsey is just backyard football.  A lot of people say "Josh wont take the underneath stuff."  I believe he would if he was coached to and the plays were designed to.  

It’s coaching, philosophy, drafting, hitting on FA and playing to your best players strengths. We rarely do any of those right 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

22 hours ago, Scott7975 said:

Allen may not be Mahomes but he is elite.  

Just wanted to ask you about this comment, which I hear more and more on this board. Why do you think Mahomes is better than a guy who is bigger, faster, stronger, and a far better runner--and can make every throw Mahomes can make? Is it the, what, two more interceptions Allen has? I know it's not about clutch play, not with Mahomes ending KC's season last year, as well as this year's game against the Bills, with an interception. Maybe he's equal to Allen, but better?

• Like (+1) 1

21 hours ago, TheBrownBear said:

I agree.  Nice job building a team culture and getting the ship turned around, but I have serious doubts about our coordinators moving forward.  I have very little excitement about 2023 with Dorsey and Frazier running the show.  At least Dorsey is young, so maybe he digs through thousands of hours of film of successful, innovative offenses over the next few months and starts to incorporate that into his system and playcalling.  What you see is what you get with Frazier at this point.

The team was 13-3 with a ton of inuries - particularly the secondary - they lost a home game to a blizzard, they had travel disrupted by another blizzard, had several games where Allen’s elbow wasn’t fully right and had a player literally dead on the field.  

I am not saying they are perfect.  I am not saying that they should just stand pat.  I AM saying:

1. They went 13-3 in a very difficult season, in a very difficult division

2. There are other excellent teams in the league, too.  It isn’t hyperbole to say that there were at least 8 teams on their level in terms of talent and some were subjectively more talented.

This is a very well run organization, but there are other well run organizations in the league, too.

Just now, finn said:

Just wanted to ask you about this comment, which I hear more and more on this board. Why do you think Mahomes is better than a guy who is bigger, faster, stronger, and a far better runner--and can make every throw Mahomes can make? Is it the, what, two more interceptions Allen has? I know it's not about clutch play, not with Mahomes ending KC's season last year, as well as this year's game against the Bills, with an interception. Maybe he's equal to Allen, but better?

That judgment is probably largely based on post-season success. Let's see what Josh can do with a genuinely solid oline and an innovative offensive mind calling the plays. I think he's every bit as good as Mahomes, though he falls into some bad habits when he is asked to carry the team with a porous oline and decent, but not exceptional weapons (outside of Diggs) at his disposal.

18 minutes ago, JerseyBills said:

Totally agree. I didn't even know Jones was injured til midway through the first.

Also Hyde. A rusty Tre , a banged up Poyer. 4/5 of them are all Pros. We'll be fine just need a good draft and some mid tier FA hits like Jones

Well, that is really the only real option because they don’t have cap room to bring in any significant FAs.  Mid-tier FAs may be a pipe dream.

The bills were so worried that they would get beat deep like they did alot all season that they let the underneath stuff happen.  This is why the safeties coach got fired.  The bengals seemed to know this and played better chess.  Schemes only get you so far at some point you have to trust your players to make plays.

22 hours ago, Steptide said:

I've thought for a while this season that Allen was alot more disciplined under daboll, where as i feel Dorsey kinda let him do what he wanted. Need to get back to the disciplined style of football (to an extent) 

That's exactly what happened. Ken let him do what Josh wanted and it was intoxicating to him. He didn't have Dabs there to show him the value of checkdowns and getting 1st downs. I lost track at how many times it was 3rd & short and we went deep.  It's like "Cocaine Favre" the movie.

1 minute ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

Pat Mahomes is the current goat. Not a great defense, bum ankle, a bunch of number 3 at best wrs (Kelce is a goat as well), and no running game. Every other qb is a level down from him. Allen and Burrow almost got there but still need to level up. 

Chris Jones doesn't hurt either. Dude is one of the more dominant players.

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, D. L. Hot-Flamethrower said:

Chris Jones doesn't hurt either. Dude is one of the more dominant players.

Oh for sure. That was the difference between their d line pressuring Burrow and ours. Weirdly though, those were his first 2 sacks in 14 postseason games which is wild.  But Jones was huge.

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.