Im convinced its coaching (Chiefs showing how to handle Bengals)

Scott7975

5 hours ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

I understand there’s blood in the water but the main conversation leading up to the playoffs was our secondary. I beg you to go back and watch the Vikings game. Even with a pass rush and press coverage the DBs couldn’t defend. 

We have this conversation a lot and I always come back to the players . You know why 13 seconds happened? Because the play before the defensive call was to play press man and make KC beat them. Tyreek Hill goes house.

So do they coach scared at times? Yes! it’s because the players tend to come up short when asked to make a play.

No matter that’s the responsibility of McD and Frazier they choose the players spend all there assets on that side of the ball therefore the responsibility falls on them. 

• Like (+1) 2

1 minute ago, NewEra said:

Maddening.  I just don’t understand.  Can any poster with a doctorate in defensive schemes please explain how this makes any sense?

Frazier made a bet before the game and the bet was to see how poorly he could call the game and still not get fired.

Looks like he collected.

43 minutes ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

It was just a bad play call. Zero coverage to get Burrow to throw short of the sticks. Actually worked perfectly. Burrow throws a 2 yard pass well short of the first. The reason it’s a bad play call is because you’re asking Tre White to make a tackle vs Chase. Even worse with bad footing.

It actually wasn’t coaching scared. It was just a dumb play call. 

What’s the purpose of dropping everyone if not scared of getting beat deep?  This isn’t the first time we’ve seen this play call vs a manageable 3rd down.  

draft elam- press man corner-  I was hoping that signaled the beginning of a more diverse defense.  Yet…… it’s the same thing all over again.  Giving away first downs while hoping that the opposition makes a mistake.  Never dictating.  

6 minutes ago, Billz4ever said:

Frazier made a bet before the game and the bet was to see how poorly he could call the game and still not get fired.

Looks like he collected.

Looked to be the case to me. 

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, NewEra said:

What’s the purpose of dropping everyone if not scared of getting beat deep?  This isn’t the first time we’ve seen this play call vs a manageable 3rd down.  

draft elam- press man corner-  I was hoping that signaled the beginning of a more diverse defense.  Yet…… it’s the same thing all over again.  Giving away first downs while hoping that the opposition makes a mistake.  Never dictating.  

There is no deep on that 3rd and 4 play. They’re on the 15 yard line. Not much to worry about deep.

I can’t recall a play call like this before. They typically get charmin soft on 3rd and long.

• Like (+1) 1

Coaching was certainly a factor in our game, but I thought, overall,  KC dominated Cincinnati in the trenches on both sides of the ball.  It was the exact opposite in the Bills game when the Bengals dominated the trenches.  We gotta get better and more physical there.

42 minutes ago, Billsfan1972 said:

McD has not cared since day one about the O.  They got lucky with Allen as they had to draft a QB and got the right one.  He was starting Peterman in Allen's rookie season.  He went 48 games without a 300 yard passing game (every team accomplishes it every year and he went his fist three years unable to crack that barrier). 

The last three years he's lived off his QB 2019 it was 50/50).   

Me exact opinion also 💯 

1 hour ago, D. L. Hot-Flamethrower said:

You guys can do whatever you want with this information. But, a friend of mine went to school with a certain Bills DL at PSU.

He said the whole week leading up to the game the guys thought game plan was bad, wouldn't work and would lead to defeat.

He also was in a booth and met JA17 dad after he'd a few after the game and he felt like Dorsey is clueless and can't stand him. Again, do whatever you want this, but if true, and I have no reason to believe otherwise, there is a big disconnect.

The coaches are on the verge of losing the locker room if they already havent....last yrs rift between daboll and McDermott was the tip of the iceberg

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, newcam2012 said:

Agree 100%. I don't know how any Bills fan can advocate running it back with this group. Totally deflates my hopes going into next season. 

I am normally optimistic, especially with Josh Allen and Diggs here.  But I can't find myself to feel good about next year right now.  Between both coordinators and their weak schemes and system seemingly coming back and our tight cap situation with quite a few roster needs, it feels like best case scenario is we are a similar team next year instead of a "better" team.  Meanwhile, Cincy, Miami, Jets, and Pats are all benefiting from rookie QB contracts and have (atleast right now) the cap space to actually get better and further widen (Cincy) or close the gap (our division).  

Every good team with a paid QB goes through roster decisions and turnover like we are.  But when you are building a roster for both defensive and offensive schemes that we already know are weak points, how can the team truly get better?  

And we play both KC and Cincy next year to go along with playing in what should be another hard fought 6 games within the division in AFCE.  I fully expect Pats, Jets, and Miami to both challenge for the playoffs and the divisional title next year if they make the right offseason additions.

We can still win our division next year, heck maybe even the #1 seed if we can beat KC again and find a way to beat Cincy.  But that path just seems harder than it was the past 2 seasons when we look down it today.  And come playoff time, it's hard to imagine our defense getting the job done under Frazier given in the last 3 playoff exits we have given up 107 points and 1403 yards.  I mean that is insane to imagine someone keeping their job after 3 horrific performances by the D in consecutive seasons.

• Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

16 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

I am normally optimistic, especially with Josh Allen and Diggs here.  But I can't find myself to feel good about next year right now.  Between both coordinators and their weak schemes and system seemingly coming back and our tight cap situation with quite a few roster needs, it feels like best case scenario is we are a similar team next year instead of a "better" team.  Meanwhile, Cincy, Miami, Jets, and Pats are all benefiting from rookie QB contracts and have (atleast right now) the cap space to actually get better and further widen (Cincy) or close the gap (our division).  

Every good team with a paid QB goes through roster decisions and turnover like we are.  But when you are building a roster for both defensive and offensive schemes that we already know are weak points, how can the team truly get better?  

And we play both KC and Cincy next year to go along with playing in what should be another hard fought 6 games within the division in AFCE.  I fully expect Pats, Jets, and Miami to both challenge for the playoffs and the divisional title next year if they make the right offseason additions.

We can still win our division next year, heck maybe even the #1 seed if we can beat KC again and find a way to beat Cincy.  But that path just seems harder than it was the past 2 seasons when we look down it today.  And come playoff time, it's hard to imagine our defense getting the job done under Frazier given in the last 3 playoff exits we have given up 107 points and 1403 yards.  I mean that is insane to imagine someone keeping their job after 3 horrific performances by the D in consecutive seasons.

I couldn't say it any better than that. 👍

• Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Billsfan1972 said:

McD has not cared since day one about the O.  They got lucky with Allen as they had to draft a QB and got the right one.  He was starting Peterman in Allen's rookie season.  He went 48 games without a 300 yard passing game (every team accomplishes it every year and he went his fist three years unable to crack that barrier). 

The last three years he's lived off his QB 2019 it was 50/50).   

Unfortunately as we've learned throughout the years Sean rarely holds himself accountable for mistakes. "There wasn't enough execution" or "we have to clean things up, work harder"....it's not in a defensive coach's nature to give a squat about offense.  But once you become a HC that's all supposed to change. With Sean it hasn't.  Terry has got to see the cronyism going on with him & Leslie.  This defensive philosophy / scheme is a disaster.  How many more quick playoff exits have to happen before Terry figures it out.

Edited by LABILLBACKER
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

1 hour ago, Patrick Duffy said:

100% agreed regarding Frazier. Speaking for myself, I'm one of those that wanted him gone after the 13 seconds embarrassment and now when looking at yet another poor defensive playoff performance I just don't see a justified scenario in him staying at this point. 

As for Dorsey, it's some posters saying "it's his 1st year at OC and feel he should improve in 2nd year", I'm not in that particular crowd myself. The stats people can throw those numbers around all they want, but there's a bit more to the picture. I didn't see very much from Dorsey (particular back half of the season) that gave me any confidence that it will be better next year.

In any event, at the very least Frazier should be done imo

Agree on everything here, well said

• Thank you (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, LABILLBACKER said:

Unfortunately as we've learned throughout the years Sean rarely holds himself accountable for mistakes. "There wasn't enough execution" or "we have to clean things up, work harder"....it's not in a defensive coach's nature to give a squat about offense.  But once you become a HC that's all supposed to change. With Sean it hasn't.  Terry has got to see the cronyism going on with him & Leslie.  This defensive philosophy / scheme is a disaster.  How many more quick playoff exits have to happen before Terry figures it out.

And who says McD's fingerprints aren't all over the Defense?  Conversely though, what input does he have on the other side (outside don't spend draft capital or invest in it)?   

• Like (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, LABILLBACKER said:

At least one more which is likely coming next season. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, NewEra said:

Maddening.  I just don’t understand.  Can any poster with a doctorate in defensive schemes please explain how this makes any sense?

It doesn't make sense. 

The idea is to force the QB to throw to a WR in front of the sticks, and then the defense rallies to the ballcatcher and makes a tackle before the receiver crosses the first down yardline.

Everything has to go right, including not missing the tackle, not letting the receiver fall forward, not slipping, not anything. 

Best case scenario is it forces 4th and 1, which they probably go for (and get) anyway.

• Agree 2

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.