Im convinced its coaching (Chiefs showing how to handle Bengals)

Scott7975

14 hours ago, Scott7975 said:

Dont want to get a ban for comparing our team to the teams playing in the GDT so I am putting it here.  Im totally convinced its coaching.  KC its killing that Oline.  Their players arent better than ours.  Jones is a beast but really nobodies outside of that.  The difference is how they actually play the receivers tight and not 10 yards off and back up at the snap.  Burrow cant throw quick because it aint there for free.

Same story on offense. Allen may not be Mahomes but he is elite.  Their offensive design and coaching is second to none.  I feel like Dorsey is just backyard football.  A lot of people say "Josh wont take the underneath stuff."  I believe he would if he was coached to and the plays were designed to.  

100% accurate here. The Chiefs D is far worse than Buffalo. It was totally scheme related. You nailed it on your analysis. You could see Burrow often couldn't get to his first read. Thus, the pressure was able to get to him. 

However, the Bills don't have anyone like Chris Jones. He is and was a game wrecker. A game changer which contributed to the Chiefs win.

Can't help but think how much the Miller injury hurt the Bills. 

The Dorsey comment is another one I agree with. The offense lacked an identity. It appeared to be predictable as teams often took Diggs away. The offense was mainly successful because of the talent of Allen not because of Dorsey and his play calling. Lastly, it seemed as though the Bills failed to use all of their offensive weapons. 

On defense, Fraizer had the worst game plan ever vs the Bengals. How did that happen? They had a rehearsal on Monday night and learned nothing! What were Fraizer and McD thinking? Yes coaching matters. That Sunday playoff game was a clear indication that the Bills coaches frankly got out coached.

Yet, the Bills are going to run it back again. Beane gave excuse after excuse in his presser. How does this instill confidence? 

Edited by newcam2012
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 3

14 hours ago, Success said:

It is.  I don't think we have BAD coaching - but it's not elite, or championship level. 

Exactly. Our coaches are good but not elite. Well they are in many aspects - leadership, focus, getting guys committed and being professional while not micromanaged, etc. - but not for scheming and play calling.

BTW I find ALL the 4 remaining teams were very well coached in that sense. I'd even put the Bengals as best coached. Bills are just too predictable on both sides of the ball. Josh IS elite, so is Diggs. The talent level is high enough for a Superbowl with just a few better plays, linemen, etc. It's not like they are second tier. But we can all see scheming is lacking to take full advantage.

On offense a tad more disguise, slants, screens, etc. and it's crazy elite. It's hair pulling as it seems so easy to improve, yet they don't do it.

On defense, it might be hard to go from "bend but don't break" to press coverage. The Bills scheme would work much better if the DLine put some pressure... I know Miller was there for the first half and at the start of the season, DLines have an edge over OLines at the start of the season, but damn did the Bills Dline wreak havoc the first few weeks. THAT was the aspct that made me think SUPERBOWL. I don't know how it went from that to getting pushed around by backups in the Bengals game.

Edited by Jerome007
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

4 minutes ago, Billsfan1972 said:

Didn't forget McD call a timeout prior to set up that wonderful D?

Remember he is a defensive genius.

Yup. Which makes it that much worse. That breakdown made me sick. Rushing 4 as well is just mind boggling as well.  I'll just never understand how they came up with that strategy 

• Agree 1

21 minutes ago, Jerome007 said:

Exactly. Our coaches are good but not elite. Well they are in many aspects - leadership, focus, getting guys committed and being professional while not micromanaged, etc. - but not for scheming and play calling.

BTW I find ALL the 4 remaining teams were very well coached in that sense. I'd even put the Bengals as best coached. Bills are just too predictable on both sides of the ball. Josh IS elite, so is Diggs. The talent level is high enough for a Superbowl with just a few better plays, linemen, etc. It's not like they are second tier. But we can all see scheming is lacking to take full advantage.

On offense a tad more disguise, slants, screens, etc. and it's crazy elite. It's hair pulling as it seems so easy to improve, yet they don't do it.

On defense, it might be hard to go from "bend but don't break" to press coverage. The Bills scheme would work much better if the DLine put some pressure... I know Miller was there for the first half and at the start of the season, DLines have an edge over OLines at the start of the season, but damn did the Bills Dline wreak havoc the first few weeks. THAT was the aspct that made me think SUPERBOWL. I don't know how it went from that to getting pushed around by backups in the Bengals game.

Miller had a tremendous impact on the whole dl. Even the whole defense.  Everyone looked much better on the line before his injury. The way he bends that corner is incredible and it takes pressure off everyone in the front 7 because how much attention he demands . If he gets back to form I think that solves the problem alone. 

Didn't Beane say he expects Von to be ready for week 1? That'd be a massive boost

Edited by JerseyBills

Frazier sets up his defense like Josh and our offense is going to score every time we have the ball. When the opposing defense stops our offense he doesn’t, or can’t, make the defensive adjustments, such as press coverage to counter the opposition’s quick throws and short game. Frazier plays it as though the opposition will always be playing catch up.

• Agree 2

2 minutes ago, Reverse Meathead said:

Plain as day.  KC coaches had a plans, schemes, all sorts of things our kindergarten coach and his defensive coordinators could never even imagine.  The more the season comes to a conclusion, McDermott and his staff should follow.

The scheme was better, yes.  The Bills also don’t have Chris Jones or as good as a DL as Kansas City does.  

This was the difference in the game IMO

• Dislike 2

McDermott and Frazier are too scared of letting up the big play. It was painfully obvious in their two playoffs against KC and last week against the Bengals. 

We have Josh freaking Allen so it is ok to be more aggressive because we usually can score with the best of them. Get Josh an OLine and reduce the cushion and hold on routes more in the playoffs. 

• Agree 2

10 minutes ago, JohnNord said:

The scheme was better, yes.  The Bills also don’t have Chris Jones or as good as a DL as Kansas City does.  

This was the difference in the game IMO

Jones had a very good game, but the Bengals still had the ball inside 2 minutes with a great chance to win. They inexplicably threw a deep pass on 3rd and 3 in an area of the field where going for it on 4th down wasn’t an option. 

11 minutes ago, eball said:

I'm not going to get into a whole "thing" about this but KC gave up 20 to Cinci and got a couple of interceptions...we gave up 27 with no turnovers.  The problem for the Bills was not scoring.

Game was over midway through the 3rd Q.  Bengals could have scored alot more. 

• Agree 2
  • Haha (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, eball said:

I'm not going to get into a whole "thing" about this but KC gave up 20 to Cinci and got a couple of interceptions...we gave up 27 with no turnovers.  The problem for the Bills was not scoring.

It was a bad game across the board. I don’t know how anyone can pinpoint it.

I can put blame on McDermott for not having them ready to play. It’s not something I’m used to seeing from McDermott teams.

• Agree 2

34 minutes ago, JerseyBills said:

Miller had a tremendous impact on the whole dl. Even the whole defense.  Everyone looked much better on the line before his injury. The way he bends that corner is incredible and it takes pressure off everyone in the front 7 because how much attention he demands . If he gets back to form I think that solves the problem alone. 

Didn't Beane say he expects Von to be ready for week 1? That'd be a massive boost

And what's the chances he plays and doesn't get hurt? 

1 hour ago, JerseyBills said:

In that situation,  I hated the flag. I think intent is important and it wasn't malicious,  he was just flying to Mahomes. Technically it was a penalty but I do find it absurd that a referee handed them 15 yards after 59+ min of play and a SB on the line. I'd be heated if that happened to us. 

Never seen this breakdown.  Beyond infuriating and completely inexcusable.  Unreal 

Cincy should be used to idiotic personal fouls on defense moving teams into FG range to kick season ending FG's in the playoffs.  Ossai was just channeling his inner Vontaze Burfict and Pacman Jones. It's just what they do.

image.png.1056c72b2e01992b34e17b82c876f04c.png

Edited by Big Turk

The Bills defensive gameplan was terrible against Cincy and the Bengals could have put up a lot more than 27 points if they didn't take their foot off the gas but the Bills' offensive performance was equally as bad in that game including terrible offensive line play, bad playcalling, bad decisions by Josh, and a general lack of high-end offensive talent. So I agree KC was prepared better and had better coaching but they also had better players who played better too

• Agree 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.