Im convinced its coaching (Chiefs showing how to handle Bengals)

Scott7975

3 hours ago, Scott7975 said:

To me this is what our defense is...  Play soft with everything in front of you.  Get to the ball quick and make the tackle.  Dont get beat deep.  Make the team drive the entire field in short bits without the big chunks.  Hope the team makes a mistake.  Odds say they will over that extended amount of time.  The gist of it anyways.  That works against teams in the regular season for the most part.  It doesnt work in the playoffs because you are now facing elite QBs.  Those QBs, like Mahomes and Burrow, dont make enough mistakes for that defense to work.  Which is why our D gives up a lot of points in the playoffs compared to the regular season.

I agree with what you say.   I don't think it's a reason to change the scheme.  I think it's a reason to adjust play calling and to tweak assignments in certain situations. 

And in the playoffs, they need to turn up the intensity.

• Agree 1

Just now, BuffaloBillsGospel2014 said:

The 49ers were 31 at 300.6, KC was 11th at 328.2, so the difference was 28 total yards/game. I'd say they were in that category imo.

28 yards can be the difference between being in FG range for the game winning kick or not. 

11th place is not elite imo.

• Agree 1

17 minutes ago, Lost said:

And sadly I think coaching and management will be the one thing that doesn't change this offseason.  Look for more of the same next year while our division opponents keep gaining ground

It's two straight years now that poor coaching cost us at the end. I'm not asking for anybody to get fired now but if it happens again they need to pull the plug. I'm sick thinking about how many years of Josh Allen we'll have wasted if Pegula isn't willing to demand better.

• Agree 3

56 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

Can you imagine the Bills holding either of those offenses to below 24 points in a playoff game? Yet both of those defenses were able to pull that off despite being lower ranked than us throughout the entire regular season. I'm more and more convinced we are being held back by coaching. What other conclusion can you make?

First question that should be asked of our coaches because it’s certainly not just the Bengals that feel this way - but why did they feel like and say we were easy to play against and we don’t do anything special?

I get they think we’re not as good as The Ravens.  

But to go further and say “we don’t do anything (I forgot the exact word Boyd used) complicated?”  

That said, the biggest concern I have for the D is after 34 year old off an ACL tear Von, we do not have an established dawg up front to do what Chris Jones did tonight.  

My bigger concern with the team is vastly inferior oline to the teams that played today.  

• Like (+1) 2

45 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

It's two straight years now that poor coaching cost us at the end. I'm not asking for anybody to get fired now but if it happens again they need to pull the plug. I'm sick thinking about how many years of Josh Allen we'll have wasted if Pegula isn't willing to demand better.

Oh, I'm not shy. I'm all about saying Frazier needs to go and if the odd, no situational football playcalling continues next season, Dorsey needs to go too.

McD should be on the hot seat next year too if we can't at least get past the divisional round. Reaching the AFCCG and then early playoff exits should not become the accepted norm for this team.

• Like (+1) 1

Its a playoff thing. Look at the games against KC. Regular season we play them tough and hold them to 20 points both games. Post season we play them afraid and loose and give up 38 and 42 points.

They simply need to play and call the game the same way they do during the regular season.

Edited by Big Turk
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Eyeroll 1

21 minutes ago, Big Blitz said:

First question that should be asked of our coaches because it’s certainly not just the Bengals that feel this way - but why did they feel like and say we were easy to play against and we don’t do anything special?

I get they think we’re not as good as The Ravens.  

But to go further and say “we don’t do anything (I forgot the exact word Boyd used) complicated?”  

That said, the biggest concern I have for the D is after 34 year old off an ACL tear Von, we do not have an established dawg up front to do what Chris Jones did tonight.  

My bigger concern with the team is vastly inferior oline to the teams that played today.  

All fair points. 
If the Bills are going to have a shot at the Lombardi, we’re going to need HUGE upgrades on the O and D lines. Like revamps.  We’re going to somehow need Von to come back and have a great season. We’re going to likely need Poyer replacement, and maybe Edmunds.  We’re going to need Tre to return to form. And we’re going to need a true #2 WR.  Then finally, we’ll need some creative coaching that will get the job done. 

The above is tough to do with no $ and a late round pick. If Beane is a true wizard… now’s his time to shine, baby!  I wanna Billieve next season!

7 minutes ago, par73 said:

It's line play. Burrow was sacked five times by KC-- the Bills were utterly hapless.

Yea I keep hearing it was our coaching when we got straight up physically dominated in the trenches on both sides of the ball.  The bengals could’ve told us what plays they were running and we still couldn’t have stopped them 

Edited by Generic_Bills_Fan

When Buffalo rushes the QB, even when they bring extra people, it looks like the OL are magnets and the Bills DL is steel. They're instantly attracted to one another. Make someone miss, go around someone. Not enough size or strength to constantly go through a bigger blocker. Bruce Smith needs to come in and show these guys how to set up and put moves on an olinemen.

• Agree 1

Mahomes threw accurate passes on time. Allen is indecisive and snaps ball before motion guy is in ideal location. Watch the Kurt Warner breakdown. He’s saying to Josh “what’s my answer?” And typically Allen isn’t releasing ball on time and taking easier throws. 

7 hours ago, HappyDays said:

When I watch other defenses in the playoffs I see creative pass rush and coverage schemes. Our defense is not creative. We just cross our fingers the opposing offense makes a mistake instead of trying to create mistakes.

Same thing on the offensive side. Our offense last week was runs from shotgun or bombs. No rhythm, no creativity, no scheming up mismatches.

The more playoff games I watch the less confident I become this coaching staff can get us over the hump. I haven't been this down on the Bills in a long time.

I don’t see the Pegulas firing a coach that has taken them to the playoffs in 5 of 6 seasons.  They made a bad choice with Rex and a bunch with the Sabres.  I don’t believe they would get rid of the one they got right.

8 hours ago, 4th&long said:

The bills D scheme is tired and has been figured out a long time ago. 

This isn’t even close to an accurate statement.

We have been one the most consistent and best defenses since 2017. What we lack on defense is the elite player on the DL. You need to be able to get pressure with a front 4 vs top level QBs. You’re not likely to fool them.

We didn’t sign Von Miller as a luxury. We needed him. It’s also not a surprise how different the defense was without a physical point of attack DT like DaQuan Jones. We need to go and get a top level DT because Ed Oliver isn’t it. 

I’ve said this a few times but that DL we had in the playoffs was so much worse than previous playoff DLs that we said needed upgrades. It was basically the DL that failed us last year but without Hughes and Addison.

It is truly a Jimmy and Joe’s issue. 

• Vomit 1

10 hours ago, Scott7975 said:

Dont want to get a ban for comparing our team to the teams playing in the GDT so I am putting it here.  Im totally convinced its coaching.  KC its killing that Oline.  Their players arent better than ours.  Jones is a beast but really nobodies outside of that.  The difference is how they actually play the receivers tight and not 10 yards off and back up at the snap.  Burrow cant throw quick because it aint there for free.

Same story on offense. Allen may not be Mahomes but he is elite.  Their offensive design and coaching is second to none.  I feel like Dorsey is just backyard football.  A lot of people say "Josh wont take the underneath stuff."  I believe he would if he was coached to and the plays were designed to.  

Not to mention the Chiefs have 4 rookies starting on there defense. 

• Awesome! (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.